Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 2 Oct 2004, 10:53 (Ref:1113216)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Renault/BMW 2004 Season Awards!

******** Renault **********

Driver Of The Year - Mike Conway - Superb season. Allegations of cheating early on where soon binned and he drove with a great maturity and comfortably had the legs on the entire field for the majority of the season. All this after a very slow start to his career in cars. Should go on to bigger and better things.

Newcomer Of The Year - Sean McIntosh - Superb first season of racing in the UK. Found his feet quickly and became a regular top 10 finisher as the season progressed. Certainly a star in the making and if he returns next season he should be a top, tip for the title.

Worst Driver - Jamie Gruber/Matt Russell - Joint award here. Slightly unfair on Gruber as he only came in half way through the year. Should have started in something less competitive though as he was miles out of his depth and didnt seem to improve as the season wore on. Russell despite running the majority of the season also seemed miles out of his depth and spent more time sat in the paddock having his car repaired than actually racing!

Most Improved Driver - Paul Di Resta - Fine season from the Scot. By the second half of the year he was quite possibly the class of the field. If he'd found his form earlier in the year he may have been able to take things to Conway. Only his second full season of car racing though, expect him to go do well in the future.

Biggest Disappointment - Susie Stoddart - Awful season for Susie. Her third year of Renault and she just went backwards! Had one-two good runs but nowhere near enough. What made it worse was team mate Westley Barber was at the front every round whilst Susie was battling just to make the top 10. Should have at least won a race but the fact she is heavily backed and female should see her go on.

************* BMW ************************

Driver Of The Year - Tim Bridgman - Awesome season for Tim. The fact that as a privateer he took on and beat the might of teams like Barwell, Carlin, Fortec and Motaworld make the achievement even better. Is looking at F3 now and should go well. what are the chances of three championships in three years if he can get the right seat?

UK Racing Rookie Of The Year - Joao Urbano - An impressive first year in the UK by Joao. Won races and was very consistent. If he's back again next year I expect him to be a championship contender, plenty of potential.

Worst Driver Of The Year - Matt Harris and the whole Barwell operation! - The team and drivers built themselves up over the winter and signed high profile names such as Tiff Needell onto their team. Never looked like winning a race, any of the drivers though and where rarely anywhere near the ultimate pace. Harris out of all the drivers disappointed the most as he had run strongly prior to this season. He and I'm sure the whole team will be disappointed with their debut year.

Driver Showing most potential for 2005 - Ross Curnow. Good first season for Curnow. Took time getting himself up to the ultimate pace but strolled the rookie cup and also took an overall win. If he's back next year and in the right team he should be a title favourite.

Biggest Disappointment - Phillip Glew - With his experience, budget and VLR/Soper behind him he should have walked this championship. He didn't, he only looked anything remotely like a champion on a couple of occasions. Will find it difficult to pick up his career from here...
Old 2 Oct 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1113284)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: My Renault/BMW 2004 Season Awards!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz
******** Renault **********
Biggest Disappointment - Susie Stoddart - Awful season for Susie. Her third year of Renault and she just went backwards! Had one-two good runs but nowhere near enough. What made it worse was team mate Westley Barber was at the front every round whilst Susie was battling just to make the top 10. Should have at least won a race but the fact she is heavily backed and female should see her go on.

I think that's slightly harsh.

Susie finished 5th in the championship, her best ever result.

Sadly though a promising first half of the season totally fell away from Knockhill onwards.

I hope she can pick it up again in whatever series she's in next year - but she has been giving reason to think my faith in her may be misplaced.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 22:48 (Ref:1113617)   #3
bantam
Rookie

bantam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don’t think you are to far off the mark there Gaz, but I do think you are being a little harsh on Susie. I do know the girl and she has got more about her than a lot in her class and yes if she had of continued her early form she would have at least came 3rd rather than 5th she is a female which puts her in the same category as a one legged man in an ars kicking competition and I think she has done well. I think if you were to meet her you might just change your mind she is not a puppet motivated by rich parents