Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 May 2004, 21:47 (Ref:966952)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Engine Availability is NOT an Issue...

That's according to a story in today's Indianaplis Star..

All three manufacturers said that they have enough engines for competitors to fill the grid for the indy 500..."so don't blame them" as the story put it...

They did say that they aren't going to give out engines for free....and the cost of a Lease for May only might run in the $350,000-425,000 range

I'm assuming that would be two engines for a primary and one or two for a back-up car... based on prices quoted by people like Brian barnhart in the past...

Honda also said that they would "do a Bump Day and Race Day" deal if someone wanted one....and it would be for less $$$ thant the price above...

but there "have been no takers" (Honda's quote in the story)

Penske also said that he would consider the G-Force to a competitor who could work a deal...he thought that if things worked like they did last year that the G-Force chassis in his stable could be available...

Chevy said they could supply two more teams beyond what they already have out there...they did not create a big inventory, becasue they didn't want to build too many of them only to have them sit on a shelf...

Toyota also said that they have enough engines to supply whoever would want or need them....but there have been no inquiries...

Thus the rumor about engine shortages is false...

Let's see who steps up, and whether or not we'll have 33 cars on May 30th...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 May 2004, 23:39 (Ref:967073)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That whole engine shortage story didn't sound right when I first heard it.

Glad to hear they'll be enough. As for 33, I have a hunch they'll make it...

Danica Patrick
Old 11 May 2004, 07:10 (Ref:967254)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God bless your optimism GP Racer, you have any element to support your prediction?
Old 11 May 2004, 08:21 (Ref:967322)   #4
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm quite positive they'll reach 33 cars as well. TG might have said that 33 is "just a number", but I don't think that will stop him from 'supporting' a few teams to get a couple of more cars - if needed - ready for the race.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:19 (Ref:967510)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can imagine quite a few extra entries coming together for Bump Day, similarly to last year. If Honda are offering a cheap deal like that, I suspect Chevvy will as well. I think there will be 33 cars, but no more.
Old 11 May 2004, 12:19 (Ref:967573)   #6
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Availability IS an issue for Greg Rays team. Seems Greg found out that he's the only Honda powered team that is actually paying for engines,

Last edited by Team Owner; 11 May 2004 at 12:20.
Old 11 May 2004, 13:05 (Ref:967641)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
Availability IS an issue for Greg Rays team. Seems Greg found out that he's the only Honda powered team that is actually paying for engines,

They also have sponsorship issues, don't they????

That's what the Indy Star said this morning anyway....

Old 11 May 2004, 13:26 (Ref:967660)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That's a different situation though. As this thread says, Honda engines are avialable to teams who want to pay for them.
Old 13 May 2004, 02:17 (Ref:969370)   #9
Team Owner
Racer

Gregs car is in their race shop getting the new skidplate put on it. The new skid plates from G-Force leave much to be desired and most have failed tech the first or second times thru. Gregs car will be at the track tomorrow or Friday. With no more cars then there is he isn't worried about makind the field so why use up expensive engines and tires. Kinda makes sense to me after I thought about it for a while. What do you think?
Old 13 May 2004, 06:49 (Ref:969481)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it depends upon whether they want to appear in the race, or win the race.
Old 13 May 2004, 14:02 (Ref:969876)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Gregs car is in their race shop getting the new skidplate put on it. The new skid plates from G-Force leave much to be desired and most have failed tech the first or second times thru. Gregs car will be at the track tomorrow or Friday. With no more cars then there is he isn't worried about makind the field so why use up expensive engines and tires. Kinda makes sense to me after I thought about it for a while. What do you think?

Well....

I hope he gets some track time on Saturday morning and on Sunday afternoon...maybe for a "Happy Hour" qualification run on Sunday afternoon if he can get the car set up in 2 days...

Since you live here as well, Team Owner, I'm sure you are getting as wet as I am this morning, and "Fast Friday" is likely to be "Wet Friday" as well....

Old 13 May 2004, 17:58 (Ref:970093)   #12
Team Owner
Racer

Weather is clearing and maybe the track will be green by 3:00 pm if the next round of showers hold off. Greg told me that they found out pretty much all the information they needed during the open test and that since they didn't have a shot at the pole they really didn't need much track time to prepare to qualify.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:27 (Ref:970409)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Greg Ray is not the fastest guy in the world, nor is he a fool. Makes sense to let the rest of the "big guns" slug it out for pole. He can go about quietly prepping the car for the race and focusing on race day performance.

Makes a lot of sense: qualify mid to low-pack, keep the top 15 in reach, pickoff a few early with a better race day setup, pick a few more off through attrition/steady pit work and come home 10th - 15th. Not a bad day's work!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:43 (Ref:970417)   #14
Team Owner
Racer

I also heard today that he may be delaying his apperance at the Speedway to see if he can get some funding from the IRL. Smart move IMO.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:54 (Ref:970420)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Geez! If that is so it sounds like he has most of the angles covered!

It is the rare guy that understands the "business" side and the "driving" side of things. Greg seems to have a good handle on things.

How I wish I had had more drive and less "daydream" when I was younger and had followed my muse. I would love to be participating rather than talking about the 500.

I have to ask, Team Owner, if I may: do you enjoy letting your hair down here and sharing some of what you are experiencing at Indy? I would think it is interesting for you to see some of the speculations, rants, wild guesses, etc that we come up with.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:30 (Ref:970448)   #16
Team Owner
Racer

This forum is fun John. Most forums are nothing but gripe fests.
Old 14 May 2004, 09:24 (Ref:970698)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Glad to hear that - hope I can help keep it that way!
Old 14 May 2004, 13:38 (Ref:970929)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I also heard today that he may be delaying his apperance at the Speedway to see if he can get some funding from the IRL. Smart move IMO.

An absolutely smart move!!!!

and I think that it will probably come his way....

Mo nunn also said (as quoted in the Indy Star) that $$$ will have to be brought forward for his other car to race May 30th...

But he didn't specify "Who" should bring the checkbook....

On another note:

Beck Motorsports says they have sponsorship lined up now...they're just waiting on an answer from Buddy Lazier...

Like Greg Ray, he's probably waiting as well to see if there will be IRL $$$ coming to teams to open up seats....because I'm pretty confident that either Mon Nunn, Dreyer & Reinbold, or any others with an extra car would love to have Buddy as their pilot...

Old 14 May 2004, 13:41 (Ref:970931)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC

I have to ask, Team Owner, if I may: do you enjoy letting your hair down here and sharing some of what you are experiencing at Indy? I would think it is interesting for you to see some of the speculations, rants, wild guesses, etc that we come up with.

I'm willing to bet that "Team Owner" gets a good laugh every other day after reading many of my "speculative" posts!!!!

at least I can rest assured that I'm bringing a little bit of levity into his life this month

Old 15 May 2004, 00:17 (Ref:971426)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Give yourself some credit Tim. your posts are on point, you have good info and I can tell you really get into the 500.

You are one of the reasons why I am here more often than in the Champ Car side...
Old 15 May 2004, 01:33 (Ref:971472)   #21
Team Owner
Racer

I enjoy all the posts here. Tim your posts are well thought out and factual.