Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 May 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3642164)   #101
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
the exception that proves the rule?

either way though, i cant imagine Hulk's participation last year and wanting to go back this year was in any way a factor for the date clash relative to the 10 year 30-50mil per year plus escalator fees BE got to squeeze in another race on an open date.

i am a fan of the Hulk, but half a billion dollars trumps the needs of an F1 journeyman driver.

would any of us have made a different choice? thats a lot of money to turn down.
This isn't about Hulkenberg per se but really about Bernie being the dog in the manger and yes it is largely to do with all those dollars, that he's managed to extract from Azerbaijan, so they can be part of Bernie's exclusive F1 Club.
Old 16 May 2016, 16:36 (Ref:3642165)   #102
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah i get what you are saying.

to be honest i feel worse for the people of Azerbaijan who will see money that could be better spent on schools or hospitals (or peace) being spent on an event that looks (partially because of the date clash no doubt) set for failure before it even starts.

actually wouldn't be surprised if (or if they are sensible) they are not already lobbying for an new date for next year

but also i would potentially feel worse for the fans there that go to that race (however few of them there are) if the drivers that they came to see decided to take part in another event instead.

tough call and money talks. such is life both in and out of F1.
Old 16 May 2016, 16:59 (Ref:3642173)   #103
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
We need to beware of setting up a false dilemma. I don't think many people are arguing that there shouldn't be a GP in Baku (though calling it the European GP defies logic and geography), but that the FIA should make sure that a race of the stature of Le Mans shouldn't clash with a Grand Prix weekend. I know 21 race weekends have to be fitted in somewhere, but I'd argue for exceptional status for Le Mans and the Indy 500, which should have their weekends left clear of F1 clashes. (If it encouraged Formula 1 drivers to participate in either or both, then no-one would be happier than me.)
Old 16 May 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3642192)   #104
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fair point about the FIA's and protecting Le Mans but does the FIA govern Indy?

Monaco and the 500 have clashed for a long time now no?
Old 16 May 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3642201)   #105
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
fair point about the FIA's and protecting Le Mans but does the FIA govern Indy?

Monaco and the 500 have clashed for a long time now no?
The Automobile Competition Committee for the United States, ACCUS, isn't a member of the FIA but officially liaises with the FIA for the various US racing sanctioning bodies, like the Indy Racing League, IMSA, NASCAR etc,.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:27 (Ref:3642204)   #106
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Indeed, time was Jim Clark skipped Monaco to race at the Brickyard. I'd still like to see the FIA keep those two weekends GP-free.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:33 (Ref:3642212)   #107
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Indeed, time was Jim Clark skipped Monaco to race at the Brickyard. I'd still like to see the FIA keep those two weekends GP-free.
That was 1965, the year Clark won the 500.
Old 16 May 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3642217)   #108
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And the World Championship. As reigning British Saloon Car Champion.
Old 17 May 2016, 03:47 (Ref:3642321)   #109
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if they prevented the clash of dates, how many teams do you think, would allow their drivers to participate?
Old 17 May 2016, 07:21 (Ref:3642343)   #110
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Even if they prevented the clash of dates, how many teams do you think, would allow their drivers to participate?
Well if the driver is paying for their seat in F1 then who is the piper?
Old 17 May 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3642401)   #111
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Probably very few, but an unlikely event is better than a certainty of not.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3642414)   #112
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The last one to compete in the Indy 500 while racing in F1 was none other than Mario Andretti himself all the way beck in 1981! You've got to remember with the Indy 500, you've got a month of preperation, so it's unlikely we'll ever see an active F1 driver race there
Old 17 May 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3642415)   #113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The last one to compete in the Indy 500 while racing in F1 was none other than Mario Andretti himself all the way beck in 1981! You've got to remember with the Indy 500, you've got a month of preperation, so it's unlikely we'll ever see an active F1 driver race there
It's less than a month now. The build up to the 500 kicks off on the Monday after the Indianapolis Grand Prix, with the first practice session and the Rookie Orientation Program.
Old 18 May 2016, 04:35 (Ref:3642553)   #114
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Well if the driver is paying for their seat in F1 then who is the piper?
Very true. I didn't think of that.
Old 18 May 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3642677)   #115
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Am I making this up, or did Andretti try to get Barrichello to fill in for Tony Kanaan in the 500 while Rubens was still an active F1 driver?
Old 19 May 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3642970)   #116
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah I do remember reading about that in Autosport in 2003, when Mario had his big flip in practice
Old 19 May 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3642972)   #117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yeah I do remember reading about that in Autosport in 2003, when Mario had his big flip in practice
That was during a test session at IMS not during practice or qualifying for the 500.
Old 20 May 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3643304)   #118
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Bernie will be too impressed when he lay eyes on the FE provisional calender for it includes Long Beach , New York and Monaco among others.
Bernie has been trying for years to get a GP in New York and would like to go back to Long Beach. To cap it all Monaco is F1's blue ribboned event.

http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/...lendar-738549/
Old 20 May 2016, 19:37 (Ref:3643306)   #119
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't think Bernie will be too impressed when he lay eyes on the FE provisional calender for it includes Long Beach , New York and Monaco among others.
Bernie has been trying for years to get a GP in New York and would like to go back to Long Beach. To cap it all Monaco is F1's blue ribboned event.

I wonder where in New York the race will take place, that's if it will take place in the city?
Old 20 May 2016, 20:49 (Ref:3643327)   #120
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

One thing that they have omitted from the article is that locals in Battersea, London are attempting to have the UK race stopped through the courts, as they say that the council that authorised the venue have broken local covenants concerning the use of the public space.

The objectors appear to believe that their case is watertight, and the race will have to be abandoned. Another case of the NIMBYs.
Old 20 May 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3643329)   #121
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
One thing that they have omitted from the article is that locals in Battersea, London are attempting to have the UK race stopped through the courts, as they say that the council that authorised the venue have broken local covenants concerning the use of the public space.

The objectors appear to believe that their case is watertight, and the race will have to be abandoned. Another case of the NIMBYs.
I live in Battersea and a lot of the NIMBY's live on Prince of Wales drive, which is on the South side of the park and flanked by rather expensive mansion blocks.
Old 20 May 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3643338)   #122
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

While that is true for the current season, London is not on the provisional 2016/17 calender.