Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Dec 2015, 14:41 (Ref:3600975)   #6576
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Something like this!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/LMPone
While obviously unrealistic, such would look quite awesome actually!

If Penske had ever actually fielded that privateer 919 as they were rumoured to, we could've had something like that, at least somewhat in tone.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3600985)   #6577
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Has there been word/concencus on whether the 919s will have special one off liveries at LM again now that the third car has been axed, or will they revert just to the bland standard ones like all the rest?
According to Autosport, Porsche are considering moving away from the white livery altogether.
We can only hope!
Old 30 Dec 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3600989)   #6578
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
According to Autosport, Porsche are considering moving away from the white livery altogether.
We can only hope!
Sounds good.

As long as it's not primary grey, which is equally blandtastic, anything's better than current.

(Though I did prefer the 919 white over R18 and TS040 colors - but that's partly because the chassis itself looks so much better than those two ugly beings)
Old 30 Dec 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3601012)   #6579
Tifosi Ferrari
Rookie

Italy
Torino
Tifosi Ferrari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be happy even if they just change the color of the livery. Those LM special liveries were so much better then the standard one
Old 30 Dec 2015, 21:57 (Ref:3601070)   #6580
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It took them two years to reconsider their eyesore of a livery? Well, better late than never.

A bland white livery was bad enough, but who had the idea that scribbling some grey text on it that is unreadable from almost every angle would result in anything but plain ugly? And how did that design ever get approved?

The Porsche is one of the most amazing racing cars ever built (well, all current factory LMP1s are), and in terms of shape, it's nice looking too, and I would be happy to finally see it in a pretty livery.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 06:20 (Ref:3601133)   #6581
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must tell you that I'm not too hopeful on this.
If we look back in history, the "colorful" Porsches all had sponsorship colors (Gulf, Martini, Rothmans, Mobil, Shell, DHL, etc.) The exception would be the Pink Pig and the Austrian Porsche 917.
White is one of the German racing colors, and it has been Porsche's racing color since the 60's (initially it was silver).
If we look at the colors offered in the road cars, we will find an abundance of different shades of grey/silver and even two different shades of white and black. There have been some exceptions such as the colors offered on the RS models. What I'm trying to say is that Porsche tends to be color challenged.
Now, having said all that, the company is undergoing some change, and maybe that will filter through to their racing colors however, until I see it actually happen, I will remain skeptical.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 11:47 (Ref:3601155)   #6582
Deleted
Veteran

Well... the red and black LM liveries last year weren't sponsor related either were they
Old 31 Dec 2015, 12:43 (Ref:3601159)   #6583
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, but the red was based on the Austrian Porsche 917 livery.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3601163)   #6584
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And if there were no "PIP" in the car... please take o look

https://twitter.com/LMPone
Old 31 Dec 2015, 13:58 (Ref:3601168)   #6585
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I have no problem with clean white.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 14:23 (Ref:3601171)   #6586
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
(Though I did prefer the 919 white over R18 and TS040 colors - but that's partly because the chassis itself looks so much better than those two ugly beings)
I actually think TS040 have easily the most beautiful shape and even the best livery(I like the white/blue)

Tbh, it's mind boggling that Audi and Porsche stick to bland and dull white liveries. The red and black 919s, at LM, looked SO much better.......

Even the black/red livery of the presented/tested 2016 R18 looks very nice(oldstyle batmobile-like)

Imo, teams should use different liveries in each of their cars. Not only that would bring more aesthetic variety to the grid, but it would make a lot easier to tell the cars apart(now we rely only on #1 or #2 to differentiate the Toyotas, for instance.)
Old 31 Dec 2015, 17:06 (Ref:3601206)   #6587
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slow week huh?
Old 31 Dec 2015, 17:21 (Ref:3601216)   #6588
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I have no problem with white or silver - as mentioned before, it's Germany's national racing colour. Green Bentleys and blue Matras were equally great. But the red Porsche Salzburg-inspired design at LM was nice too.

Politically incorrect, perhaps, but I'd love to see a 919 (or an R18) in Marlboro red-and-white.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3601796)   #6589
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is 2016 porsche919hybrid going high nose & fenders, or it will be more conventional?
https://mobile.twitter.com/LMPone
Old 3 Jan 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3601816)   #6590
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We will know soon... how soon i don´t know but...!!!!

My guess is the design of the cars will change a lot this year!

Less energy per lap means that they need to take a "smarter" look to aero.... IMHO

Things may look "uglier" but they will go fast that´s for sure
Old 3 Jan 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3601842)   #6591
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Is 2016 porsche919hybrid going high nose & fenders, or it will be more conventional?
https://mobile.twitter.com/LMPone
Not quite according to Alex Hitzinger
Old 21 Jan 2016, 17:29 (Ref:3606891)   #6592
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
A fantastic documentary (long) on the Porsche LMP1 Project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Qa...ature=youtu.be
Old 21 Jan 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3606916)   #6593
Deleted
Veteran

Thanks, might have to save watching that one for my LM-week-festivities
Old 21 Jan 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3606939)   #6594
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Thanks, might have to save watching that one for my LM-week-festivities

I can't wait that long. Probably watch it tonight after work
Old 21 Jan 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3606942)   #6595
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's good, thanks for pointing to it, Spyderman.
Just the AWESOME AWESOME sound track and voice get annoying after .. a few minutes hardly a documentary with this acoustic background, but .. well.. it's a (good) PR piece.
Old 21 Jan 2016, 20:06 (Ref:3606947)   #6596
Deleted
Veteran

In 2012, Toyota had full prepping-up documentary, "Road to Le Mans" which SPEED showed on the Le Mans week (IIRC Thursday or Friday). It even had material from qualifying which they had quickly edited together to go with the older stuff. I wish you got more of that from the manufacturers, as it got you (incl people not so informed) up to speed while the iron was hot.

Last edited by Deleted; 21 Jan 2016 at 20:12.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 08:10 (Ref:3607053)   #6597
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
It's good, thanks for pointing to it, Spyderman.
Just the AWESOME AWESOME sound track and voice get annoying after .. a few minutes hardly a documentary with this acoustic background, but .. well.. it's a (good) PR piece.
Allow me to disagree : It is a documentary because it documents the road to Le Mans 2015. You may find the voice and soundtrack distasteful, and its purpose may be to serve the PR goals, but neither of these facts detract from this being a documentary.
I found it to be quite informative and balanced, in the sense that it clearly spoke about the difficulties and mistakes that were made along the journey. I enjoyed it immensely, but I suppose I would.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3607056)   #6598
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
The bombastic soundtrack (be aware if you use quality ear/headphones) and unusual dub choices (Enzinger, Hitzinger & Siedl all speak perfect English) were a little off-putting, but they are minor complaints. Get past those and it's just as informative for its length as the other factory PR efforts, covering the problems as well as the successes in enough detail to not seem like they were glossed over.

The only thing that really disappointed me was the lack of driver profiles for the #19 car. While I understand that the WEC drivers are more important to the story of the car's initial development, it seemed lacking that Bamber/Hulkenberg/Tandy only got a couple of sentences in total and none individually - they were the drivers that actually won Le Mans after all. For added irony, pointedly notes that the #19 drivers were not thought of as "outsiders" as far as the team was concerned. I have no doubt about that, but maybe this message could have been passed to the documentary's director and producer...

Last edited by J Jay; 22 Jan 2016 at 08:37.
Old 22 Jan 2016, 08:41 (Ref:3607060)   #6599
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The video is likely to have been produced with a primarily German focus. Using DUB, just makes them able to publish it global, without having to reshoot all interviews. (minimising the cost)
Also, Germany has a proud history of using DUB, instead of subtitles.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 21:24 (Ref:3607716)   #6600
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Are there any news about the 2016 car ??!!??!!