Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 9 Sep 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3451554)   #276
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think you're not seeing the bigger picture or the long term situation. it's one of those series that has implications on the rest of the single seater market if nothing else. it isn't an a1gp or superleague nice idea, it's a genuine potential direction for motorsport both in terms of events (street circuits in cities? i can't wait for berlin), and technology.

i'm not drinking from the fountain of corporate bullpoop there, that's my genuine opinion of where it fits in in the big picture. imo it's a bit of a marketing experiment too - see if companies will get involved with something with almost total green credentials (at least to current standards of "green" production). you have audi and renault involved at a branding level through e.dams (still funny) and abt, which is interesting imo.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3451572)   #277
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I used A1GP and SF as simlar examples of trying to be different non-F1-ladder series with larger worldwide ambitions than single seater series normally do. But yes you are right in a sense that what we have new could open some new doors and break ground. However I wouldn't associate word technology with a -for now- full spec series with fake gimmicks and not-quite-ready concepts (change of car mid-race?) quite yet, but rather 'idea of technology'. The real technology is seen on hybrid LMP1s and (on smaller scale) F1 and GT500, which have also been gearing towards the idea of 'green racing' in the last few years.

We'll see how it develops
Old 9 Sep 2014, 16:43 (Ref:3451577)   #278
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imo they need a driver like Frijns for it not to become a retirement home for ex-F1 drivers, although saying that I'd like to see how Leimer performs amongst all others.

However, I personally cannot wait to see the action at Beijing. The tech and the package as a whole could have a major influence on the future presentation of major motorsports series.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3451591)   #279
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leimer's not in it though!

Looking forward to it, but the noise of these cars really grate on me. And this is from someone that loves the sound of the new F1 engines
Old 9 Sep 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3451611)   #280
kotkot
Racer

Hungary
Budapest
kotkot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leimer replaces Da Costa for the first round because it clashes with DTM. Speaking of Da Costa, he can be a perfect star for the series.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3451749)   #281
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So... the championship is kicking off this weekend and I don't see particularly high hype here or in other forums or respected media. Even teams like Andretti Autosport have nothing recent to say about in on their official page or FB account, it's like 'whatever'. In fact I too had already forgotten it and found out it was starting now by pure coincidence. Smells like Formula 2.
Like you I'd largely forgotten about it - then last night on TV I saw a trail for the race, in the UK it's going to be shown live on free to air tv (itv4) and they'll also run a highlights show. So I'll take a look. That's the same channel that shows the BTCC coverage (and support) plus the wrc - so they're building up a nice amount of motorsport coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Imo they need a driver like Frijns for it not to become a retirement home for ex-F1 drivers, although saying that I'd like to see how Leimer performs amongst all others.
I think that to get the series up and running the ex-F1 drivers are a good idea - people will have heard the names before so are more likely to pay attention. If you have some decent young drivers too then they'll become known and over time you can reduce your F1 retirement home quota (assuming the young drivers don't all move on to something else). Finding a balance is the key here I think.
Old 10 Sep 2014, 10:24 (Ref:3451780)   #282
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
However I wouldn't associate word technology with a -for now- full spec series with fake gimmicks and not-quite-ready concepts (change of car mid-race?) quite yet, but rather 'idea of technology'. The real technology is seen on hybrid LMP1s and (on smaller scale) F1 and GT500, which have also been gearing towards the idea of 'green racing' in the last few years.
ehhhh, i don't think it's a valid comparison with existing series. they've had to adapt the new technologies to fit their existing concept to retain goodwill of manufacturers already involved and supporters. formula e has the luxury of a totally clean sheet and they're exploiting some seriously interesting stuff with their technology partners in the forseeable that will have an impact on how we use electric cars in the future, i'm thinking in particular of the wireless charging idea.

but you're right, the hybrid technology is being seen in those series. the point is that this isn't hybrid technology - it's full spec battery powered racing cars. you can't compare a tesla to a prius, so you shouldn't really be comparing formula e to lmp1.

i respect your cynicism, particularly towards the fan boost stuff (seriously bored of the begging already), but yeah... i think it deserves a couple of seasons and a bit of a watch
Old 10 Sep 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3451838)   #283
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
In Latin America the championship will air on Fox Sports, same channel as F1, WRC, NASCAR and IMSA.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3452111)   #284
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkot View Post
Leimer replaces Da Costa for the first round because it clashes with DTM. Speaking of Da Costa, he can be a perfect star for the series.
Takuma Sato replaces Felix da Costa for Beijing, Leimer is only a reserve.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115802
Old 11 Sep 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3452125)   #285
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In Canada it will air on Speed channel. Speed is available on Shaw but I think other cable providers may have dropped that channel.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3452145)   #286
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So... the championship is kicking off this weekend and I don't see particularly high hype here or in other forums or respected media. Even teams like Andretti Autosport have nothing recent to say about in on their official page or FB account, it's like 'whatever'. In fact I too had already forgotten it and found out it was starting now by pure coincidence. Smells like Formula 2.

So single day event in China it is. You know I was a fan of A1GP and Superleague Formula had some interesting ideas, so weird format like this could work. Maybe. While the cars are... what they are the fanboost is one of the silliest fake gimmicks anywhere, the overall format has some promise in it I think? Street circuits on uncharted territories is probably the most interesting aspect

Guess I need to watch this first event at least

From what I can see most (probably all) of the teams are using twitter to 'promote' their teams/drivers etc. Seeing loads of retweets and discussion on my feed etc. I think there is a lot of hype among the fans and by twitter's retweet system means that they're always reaching new people. I know a load of people went to the thing at donington, and that generated a lot of hype too.

Fanboost is obviously a gimmick but it drives traffic to the website, gets teams involved with fans etc. Even if it has minimal effect, teams will still want to say they have the best fans (etc) so will be pushing it on social media, and if it does have a larger impact then it becomes even more important for the teams to promote their drivers and therefore the series.

On the tech side I think it's unfair to compare to LMP1, the concepts are really different and I'd say e is pushing the boundaries a bit more.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 17:06 (Ref:3452205)   #287
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is exactly what I thought, teams and drivers have a much bigger incentive to become more fan friendly. At first I was against it, but now I like it. From sporting point of view, of course it's stupid, but if it helps the series grow... why not?
Old 11 Sep 2014, 20:29 (Ref:3452267)   #288
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where ExCel in east London could host the UK FE round, it is being proposed as an alternative to Battersea.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115813

It might have less planning issues as it would use private property as opposed to a public park.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3452282)   #289
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I see where ExCel in east London could host the UK FE round, it is being proposed as an alternative to Battersea.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115813

It might have less planning issues as it would use private property as opposed to a public park.
Great find!
Old 12 Sep 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3452700)   #290
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can someone explain me what the heck is this idea of people phoning in to give a particular driver more boost in Formula E????

In other words, the PEOPLE decides who gets the best engine?
Old 12 Sep 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3452702)   #291
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo View Post
Can someone explain me what the heck is this idea of people phoning in to give a particular driver more boost in Formula E????

In other words, the PEOPLE decides who gets the best engine?
Sort of, yes. The 3 drivers with the most votes will get a 40HP boost for 5 seconds during the race. A gimmick for sure, whether it will be very useful or not remains to be seen. Like having a push to pass or KERS that you can use once.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3452732)   #292
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Sort of, yes. The 3 drivers with the most votes will get a 40HP boost for 5 seconds during the race. A gimmick for sure, whether it will be very useful or not remains to be seen. Like having a push to pass or KERS that you can use once.
So a bit like a "reality" TV show then .....

At least KERS or push to pass are for all and decided by the driver and not whether the public like any individual or team or colour of car or ..or ...or etc etc.

<sigh>
Old 13 Sep 2014, 07:34 (Ref:3452831)   #293
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the first race starts in 25mins and is on ITV4 *sky channel 120* its also on freeview for all you others who refuse to buy sky?

Last edited by karting; 13 Sep 2014 at 07:43.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 08:54 (Ref:3452844)   #294
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With 4 laps to go we have a 4 car battle for the lead between 4 different teams...
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3452848)   #295
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicolas Prost!? WTF!? Fun race until that.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3452850)   #296
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
If you asked me before the race, the last thing I expected was for one of these cars to get airborne. Would expect Prost to have been a lot smarter in defence than to leave it to until it's too late.

Prost/Heidfeld clash on the last lap, Di Grassi takes the win for Audi Sport Abt. Montangny 2nd, Abt 3rd.

Well Formula E has its injection of publicity ...
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3452851)   #297
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nasty crash, Heidfeld was lucky to get out of that one unhurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
If you asked me before the race, the last thing I expected was for one of these cars to get airborne.
Pretty much any type of race car can go airborne if aided by external factors, such as in this case hitting a kerb at an awkward angle.

Last edited by rustyfan; 13 Sep 2014 at 09:12.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3452852)   #298
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nico Prost and Nick Heidfeld collided when Heidfeld made a genuine attempt to take the win in the final turn, but Prost swerved into him, broke the German's suspension, and Heidfeld flew over the kerbs on the apex into a horrific accident. Lucas di Grassi ended up taking an impressive win, if fortunate.

At least a) the car is strong and b) there's some controversy to attract the media!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:09 (Ref:3452853)   #299
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just odd, now I've seen it again it wasn't intentional but it was a stupid move, why didn't he have the inside covered anyway? That's what I'd have done as soon as Nick started to close.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:13 (Ref:3452855)   #300
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Well Prost was judiciously checking his mirrors in the previous corner, I reckon he wasn't expecting Heidfeld to make it from that far back. Or maybe he was worried about Heidfeld out-dragging him to the finish if he went defensive unnecessarily. The battery graphic wasn't working for Prost's car, so he could have been that bit closer to running dry than Heidfeld (although it didn't look like it, the two of them had pulled away from di Grassi/Montagny)