Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2015, 00:31 (Ref:3590040)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This date clash is just deliberately trying to devalue Le Mans, and prevent the F1 drivers competing.

Explanation not accepted Jean!

http://www.pitpass.com/55135/Todt-ap...ans-date-clash

You are in charge of calendar clashes, and you are tasked with representing the best interests of motorsport!
Old 13 Nov 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3590105)   #52
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
One minor bizarre thing is listing the Azerbaijan GP as "Baku", the only one that does not list the country. At least it has improved my knowledge of international geography, I suppose.
Baku will technically be the European GP but its actually in Asia.
Old 13 Nov 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3590159)   #53
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 races clashing with Le Mans is hardly new. Many times I've had to decide between Montrael & Le Sarthe.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3590659)   #54
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
That's a real oddity. We have races in Asia so why not just call it the Azerbaijan GP? Or Asian GP?
Old 15 Nov 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3590681)   #55
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan 199 View Post
That's a real oddity. We have races in Asia so why not just call it the Azerbaijan GP? Or Asian GP?
I think it is because Bernie needs to keep the ratio of European & North American GP's to the others for contractual reasons.
Old 15 Nov 2015, 21:14 (Ref:3590683)   #56
Jordan 199
Rookie

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Jordan 199 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3590845)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
perhaps too soon or not even the place but it is something that has been broached in the past after major acts of terrorism/violence occur.

given the cost of maintaining security at large events, how can the local promoters and their host nations possibly hope to afford the direct and indirect costs of hosting a GP. how high must tickets prices go and at what level do collected tax revenues have to be to make these events sustainable?

certainly F1 has some on track issues, but im curious as to what others think how recent events affect the viability of these types of events in the west? rather should the FIA be addressing these issues more directly or is pursing cheap engines, for example, the more important issue for them. or maybe they are unconnected and my question is just too rooted in what happened this weekend and not worth making a larger issue out of it?

mods: split to a new thread if thats better, maybe even move to parc ferme at your discretion.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3590857)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan 199 View Post
Why bother with an Azerbaijan GP in the first place? I forgot, there's Bernie's fee.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 02:07 (Ref:3591178)   #59
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why bother with an Azerbaijan GP in the first place? I forgot, there's Bernie's fee.
Which the teams get half of.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 21:05 (Ref:3591337)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Which the teams get half of.
Do they?
Old 18 Nov 2015, 21:47 (Ref:3591342)   #61
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Baku is in Europe.

Azerbaijan is split on both the European and Asian continents...Baku itself is on the European side.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3591348)   #62
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Baku is in Europe.

Azerbaijan is split on both the European and Asian continents...Baku itself is on the European side.
I hope that is not what they teach you in the USA. Turkey, which is to the west of Azerbaijan, is barely in Europe and in fact it is considered to be the bridge between Europe and Asia, and has only comparatively recently been considered part of Europe. And if you look at a map, Baku is on the far eastern edge of Azerbaijan on the shores of the Caspian Sea, and is actually almost due north of Tehran (capital of Iran), and that is certainly not in Europe either.

Furthermore, Azerbaijan is hundreds of miles from Turkey, and is seperated from it by Georgia to it's north, Armenia to it's west and Iran to it's south.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 23:47 (Ref:3591360)   #63
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Do they?
Yep, 50% split between teams (unequally) and 50% to the stakeholders being Bernie, CVC and "special" team payments.
Based on 2013 figures:

Old 19 Nov 2015, 00:06 (Ref:3591368)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
Yep, 50% split between teams (unequally) and 50% to the stakeholders being Bernie, CVC and "special" team payments.
Based on 2013 figures:

Thanks.

Where does FOM fit in with this?
Old 19 Nov 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3591369)   #65
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I hope that is not what they teach you in the USA. Turkey, which is to the west of Azerbaijan, is barely in Europe and in fact it is considered to be the bridge between Europe and Asia, and has only comparatively recently been considered part of Europe. And if you look at a map, Baku is on the far eastern edge of Azerbaijan on the shores of the Caspian Sea, and is actually almost due north of Tehran (capital of Iran), and that is certainly not in Europe either.

Furthermore, Azerbaijan is hundreds of miles from Turkey, and is seperated from it by Georgia to it's north, Armenia to it's west and Iran to it's south.
This is a current map of Europe.

Azerbaijan is bisected by the Europe/Asian border, and where Baku is located, represented by the red dot I've placed on the image, falls into the part of the country that is in Europe.
Old 19 Nov 2015, 07:57 (Ref:3591424)   #66
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a rather silly discussion.

Europe is a cultural region and doesn't have any official borders. The border between Europe and the rest of Eurasia is arbitrary and meaningless.

I'd say Azerbaijan probably earned the right to be European after 70 years of Russification under Soviet rule. They even won Eurovision a couple year ago.
Old 19 Nov 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3591434)   #67
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
This is a rather silly discussion.

Europe is a cultural region and doesn't have any official borders. The border between Europe and the rest of Eurasia is arbitrary and meaningless.

I'd say Azerbaijan probably earned the right to be European after 70 years of Russification under Soviet rule. They even won Eurovision a couple year ago.
Obviously information taken form "The Observers book of how to decide if a Country in in Europe"!
(Sorry Beryl, not a dig, just hopefully a light-hearted comment based on what I thought when reading your post )
Old 19 Nov 2015, 09:59 (Ref:3591437)   #68
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Obviously information taken form "The Observers book of how to decide if a Country in in Europe"!
I see we've both perused through the same seminal guide book.

Clearly no institution is more European than the revered Eurovision Song Contest. There is no doubt that success in this fair and incorruptible competition is the perfect barometer for adjudicating Europeanness.
Old 19 Nov 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3591438)   #69
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I see we've both perused through the same seminal guide book.

Clearly no institution is more European than the revered Eurovision Song Contest. It follows that there is no doubt that success in this fair and incorruptible competition is the perfect barometer for adjudicating Europeanness.
Great! As an Australian, where do I get the EU stamp in my passport?
Old 19 Nov 2015, 10:12 (Ref:3591439)   #70
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Great! As an Australian, where do I get the EU stamp in my passport?
On the criteria advanced above, I reckon any international Australian airport would do perfectly.

You're in Eurovision after all!

Asian - same place!
Old 20 Nov 2015, 00:28 (Ref:3591624)   #71
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As interesting as the geopolitical mappery has been, do we know when exactly the next World Motorsport Council meets to decide which of the 21 venues currently on the list does fall by the wayside.

I know it's usually December sometime and that it gets pretty definitive from that point onwards, as the other FIA and other prominent Championships are confirmed as well.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3591738)   #72
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Where does FOM fit in with this?
I believe FOM (Formula One Management) is one part of Formula One Group (which is in the diagram above)

Richard
Old 20 Nov 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3591743)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I believe FOM (Formula One Management) is one part of Formula One Group (which is in the diagram above)

Richard
I can see Formula One Group is in the diagram.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3591759)   #74
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe that FOM is a subsidiary of Delta Topco, although in reality it is both the Commercial Rights Holder and the part of Delta Topco that deals with all the financial matters relating to the teams.

The diagram is really a very simplified version of how the payments work; the Group, however, is fragmented for tax planning purposes and not all of it's parts are shown, for example Bambino Trust (that's the Ecclestone family trust) is not there.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3591777)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I believe that FOM is a subsidiary of Delta Topco, although in reality it is both the Commercial Rights Holder and the part of Delta Topco that deals with all the financial matters relating to the teams.

The diagram is really a very simplified version of how the payments work; the Group, however, is fragmented for tax planning purposes and not all of it's parts are shown, for example Bambino Trust (that's the Ecclestone family trust) is not there.
What I've gleaned from the Interweb and how I understand the structure, is that the Formula One Group is owned ultimately by Delta Topco, a Jersey based company, owned primarily by investment companies CVC Capital Partners, Waddell & Reed, and LBI Group, with the remaining ownership split between Bernie Ecclestone, other investment companies and company directors.

The diagram does seem a little simplified. I found this diagram and though the sponsors have changed, I was wondering if this was more representative of the structure? It's certainly an intricate web.