Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Jan 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2101036)   #1
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
kingo86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
S2000 and Renault Laguna

I'm relativly new to the touring car scene after only really watching it from the 06 season where i visited the first event at Brands Hatch but i am now hooked and go to as many events as possiable and have visited over 10 meetings in the past two seasons.

Ive been reading a book "Touring car diarys" about the Williams team dominating 1997 season with Menu and Plato. If you haven't read it i highly recommend it.

Just a question that i don't really understand are the regs that are now used in the modern day era more or less the same as the S2000 cars used in the supertouring era of the 90's?

Does anyone know what happened to the Laguna's? The cars were very good and designed and maintained by one of the best names not only in the touring car world but the motorsport world. If the regs were simular surly they would make a good car for new drivers/ teams looking at breaking throught into the BTCC?

Many Sir Frank would consider returning to the BTCC, after all the F1 isn't going to well and manafractures are starting to dominate f1. So come on Sir Frank bring back WTCE!
Old 7 Jan 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2101059)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingo86
I'm relativly new to the touring car scene after only really watching it from the 06 season where i visited the first event at Brands Hatch but i am now hooked and go to as many events as possiable and have visited over 10 meetings in the past two seasons.
Welcome to 10-Tenths and the world of BTCC.

Quote:
Just a question that i don't really understand are the regs that are now used in the modern day era more or less the same as the S2000 cars used in the supertouring era of the 90's?
The concept is broadly similar - 2.0l production saloon - but there's very little similarity between the current Super 2000 regs and the old Supertouring. The ST regs allows much more modifications to engine and suspension for example as well as a proper aero kit. Under the skin they are totally different.

Quote:
Does anyone know what happened to the Laguna's?
http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/model/13.php
One of the early 1995 cars is sitting in a workshop. The '97 ex-Menu car is now in New Zealand having been totally rebuilt. The 2 ex-Arena Motorsport cars (originally 1998 Williams) are currently in Canada, one complete the other as a rolling shell. Two of the 1999 cars are still racing in Serbia. I believe there is also still one other complete car in the Williams museum. The rest were scrapped, stripped, crushed or otherwise destroyed.
Old 7 Jan 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2101357)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
The 1998 Lagunas were some of the nicest sounding ST cars, a wonderful "growl" effect when you are standing at trackside as the cars are coming towards you.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2102123)   #4
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
Thanks for those replies. The link was very intresting. As for the sound of the Laguna Engine i can't comment, but they have to be one of the best looking cars on the grid even by todays high standards. The colours are brilliant and the front looks sporty and also agressive. The one thing you don't want to see in your mirrors.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2102165)   #5
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Laguna looks quite suitable to make an S2000-car of it....
Old 9 Jan 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2102357)   #6
kingo86
Rookie

England
Catterick
Very true. The Laguna is a great car and Renault are a major name in motor racing that would make a great third manufactor in the BTCC and would be a great challanger to Vauxhall and Seat.

With Sir Frank Williams team not doing so well in Formula one with manufactures dominating the sport, i would be fantastic for him to reform WTCE and im sure with them coming back Renault would be intrested with rebuilding there partnership.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2102365)   #7
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Renault back to BTCC with a factrory effort ! hard to imagine it, the old BTCC of the 1990s was great with all the factories there, but hard to see that again in near future
Old 9 Jan 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2102497)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I remember reading something about the fact that Renault and Nissan are connected now in some way (do they own part of each other or something?), that their decision to pull out at the end of 1999 was a joint one.

If Renault were to come back, then I would imagine it would be in the WTCC, though with Renault's chairman not being the biggest fan of motorsport, I can't see anything happening soon, even their F1 program is being constantly re-assesed it seems.

Last edited by Sodemo; 9 Jan 2008 at 11:33.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2102674)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault in WTCC ... Let's hope the other Renault touring car style demolition derby doesn't go to the WTCC
Old 9 Jan 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2102690)   #10
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From memory i believe that Nissan own renault, and there was even talk that the Renault F1 team was going to be rebranded as Nissan, as they are a more woldwide brand.
Simon
Old 9 Jan 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2102758)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Renault owns (or is at least major shareholder) Nissan.