Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3015768)   #51
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Simon Hadfield;3015721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post

The rule for FIA events is 50mm, measured vertically from the top of the helmet to the horizontal plane from the top of the roll hoop. The front hoop (or lack thereof) is not part of this requirement. I have also just double checked this with the chief architect of the roll hoop rule.
Thanks a lot Simon. We've been hearing various different versions of the requirement. Appreciate the clarification.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3017079)   #52
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
skentellytubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a question regarding 6 point harnesses.

I got a set of 4 point Schroth harnesses in 2009 then, with the advent of the 6 point belt rule, I retro fitted a separate crotch strap.

This means the buckle is on one of the lap belts.

When "attempting" a fast pit change having the buckle on the lap belt makes lining things up with a full-face on difficult (that's my excuse anyway).

It would be much better if the buckle was on the crotch belt as it would be more symmetrical.

I can't see any way of moving the buckle from its current location to the crotch belt.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this, or do the various manufacturers offer this service??

Thanks
Simon
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3017096)   #53
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What belts do you have Simon? TRS have a little hole on the back of the twist buckle, IIRC you push a small screwdriver in there and it releases the fixed belt. I can't remember what to do to fix the other one in! If it a TRS belt I'll drop them a line and ask them tomorrow.

Max
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3017111)   #54
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Correct Max,Just put a pin in the hole you will push down on a spring.Keep the pin pushed down as you pull out the belt. Then the same method to put the crutch strap back in.
Just a word of warning after you have done this allways fit the rest of the belts do not leave it untill you are ready to go out on track.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3017240)   #55
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
I have a question regarding 6 point harnesses.

I got a set of 4 point Schroth harnesses in 2009 then, with the advent of the 6 point belt rule, I retro fitted a separate crotch strap.
What is the 6 point belt rule and how have you got away with adding bits to the harness at a later date, there is a no mixing an matching rule?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 10:58 (Ref:3017263)   #56
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Terribly sorry to bother you Terry!

It obviously doesn't affect you as you don't have a single seater that is Monaco eligible. But for those of us that do, we want to make 100% sure that the cars are ok.

You don't have to read the thread if you don't want to.......
Terry is correct,its just that we have not been checked up till now .I can remember a rare time I was on pole at Brands Hatch in my Delta FF2000 and the scrutineer came out on track just before thev start and gave me a massive bo----ing as my helmet was just about level with the top of the roll hoop. Just what I needed to here before the race.I then fluffed the start and finnished a dissapointed 3rd.
Like you Roger I am double checking everything before Monaco.
I am wondering when the scrutineers are going to check the drivers hemet clearance.Will it be at scrutineering or when we are lining up to go out on track.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3017270)   #57
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect it will be at the pre-grid. This is what they did last time with overalls, underwear, etc etc
Old 26 Jan 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3017340)   #58
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheques in the post Iain
My only meaning being that this is one of those regulations that is oft overlooked,possibly purely because,'thats the way it was built' or simply not reading up on the subject. As single seat cars offer such a small amount of protection,if it should fall over,surely its worth sitting in the car just to check the clearance first? Like I said earlier,tarmac is fairly unforgiving when it comes to removing human flesh/bone.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3017381)   #59
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I've been following the discussion with interest as am fairly tall and have only raced closed cars before! But looking at the pic think that am over 50mm below top of hoop on my Delta?

Old 26 Jan 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3017393)   #60
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I've been following the discussion with interest as am fairly tall and have only raced closed cars before! But looking at the pic think that am over 50mm below top of hoop on my Delta?

Mike, if you tip the car over does it rest on the roll hoop and the dash hoop, or does it balance on yer bonce?
Attached Thumbnails
Rollcage.jpg  
Old 26 Jan 2012, 18:03 (Ref:3017398)   #61
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We need to sort those manky mirrors out Mike
Old 26 Jan 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3017403)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Max according to previous posts (see #47 from Simon) for FIA it is just a 50mm horizontal measurement. Are you saying that for MSA stuff the requirement is more demanding?

BTW Don't foget my Alpinestars order

Iain- yes, mirrors! Think I have a plan. Am going to try the ones off my Gilbern that have a pivot at the mount (SPA I think). They are small ones rather than 'saloon' spec.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3017407)   #63
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure you're over 50mm below the top of the rollbar, Mike. I think Simon said earlier that it was 50mm horizontally, regardless of whether the car had a forward hoop or not.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3017424)   #64
Simon Hadfield
Veteran

Simon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSimon Hadfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In several areas various ASNs are more rigorous and demanding than the FIA (a point that is rather overlooked by the conspiracy theorists amongst us) but as Terry pointed out earlier the rules are not necessarily enforced.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3017432)   #65
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
I don't think that diagram applies to a single seater. That is for a sports car only. Simon explained that single seaters are a simple 50mm vertical from top of helmet to top of hoop.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3017477)   #66
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I'm pretty sure you're over 50mm below the top of the rollbar, Mike. I think Simon said earlier that it was 50mm horizontally, regardless of whether the car had a forward hoop or not.
This.

And if you look at the shots from your Mallory Test in Iain's car you will see it's about the same although you look to be sitting a little further forward.

In fact if you leave your helmet off you have loads of spare measurement latitude and it even looks like you would under a front hoop to rear hoop line as well!

I can see a market for shallow domed helmets ... Max ....?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3017479)   #67
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What belts do you have Simon? TRS have a little hole on the back of the twist buckle, IIRC you push a small screwdriver in there and it releases the fixed belt. I can't remember what to do to fix the other one in! If it a TRS belt I'll drop them a line and ask them tomorrow.

Max
Hi Max, Schroth ones.

I bought a four point and then an anti sub belt to make it a 6 point, all from the same manufacturer. Retro fit was probably a bad phrase to use - they were all bought from the same manufacturer and all fit (the buckle has 5 connection points)

I'll have a look and see...

Cheers
S
Old 26 Jan 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3017507)   #68
midgetman
Veteran

Speak to MSAR then, JenMSAR is a contributor here so you could try a PM.

I know scrutineers look for matching dates, if each part of the belt has a different date it may make things difficult for you. I've been with scrutineers when they check them, it's an easy box to tick.

HTH
Old 26 Jan 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3017511)   #69
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Max according to previous posts (see #47 from Simon) for FIA it is just a 50mm horizontal measurement. Are you saying that for MSA stuff the requirement is more demanding?

BTW Don't foget my Alpinestars order

Iain- yes, mirrors! Think I have a plan. Am going to try the ones off my Gilbern that have a pivot at the mount (SPA I think). They are small ones rather than 'saloon' spec.
I'm not saying anything, just reproducing random pics from the blue book

Haven't forgotten Astars stuff, are you at RR? I was planning on having some there for you if OK?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3017526)   #70
skentellytubby
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester
Quote:
Speak to MSAR then, JenMSAR is a contributor here so you could try a PM.

I know scrutineers look for matching dates, if each part of the belt has a different date it may make things difficult for you. I've been with scrutineers when they check them, it's an easy box to tick.

HTH
Hmm wasnt aware of that. Must only be 6 months difference in age but still.

I wonder why sell them separately in that case...

Anyway, thanks for the pointer!

S
Old 27 Jan 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3017622)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I'm not saying anything, just reproducing random pics from the blue book

Haven't forgotten Astars stuff, are you at RR? I was planning on having some there for you if OK?
Enough of the random pics

Yes will be at RR, See you there.

Thanks Grant. One of the (many) appeals of the Delta was generous driver space. Don't think I'll be racing sans helmet though......
Old 27 Jan 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3017643)   #72
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skentellytubby View Post
Hmm wasnt aware of that. Must only be 6 months difference in age but still.

I wonder why sell them separately in that case...

Anyway, thanks for the pointer!

S
They've probably still got the same year on then, which is all the scrutes can check. I'm not sure they would chuck you out, but you could be in for a more awkward conversation. I remember scrabbling round looking for a date on a brand new set at a meeting. The scrutineer was most insistent at checking every single strap.

I don't actually think it's illegal to have different years, just the conversation we had was pretty difficult and that was in England, goodness knows what it would be like in a second language