Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2964169)   #1076
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to Zhuhai, this has been a fantastic season of sports car racing and one of the better ones I can remember. Cant believe its Zhuhai and then thats it for 2011. Fantastic ALMS season in the GT class and another fantastic Audi vs Peugeot and AF vs BMW battle in the ILMC this season. Sebring 2012 is going to be epic!
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:18 (Ref:2964170)   #1077
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Petit Le Mans proved itself worthy to the ACO, entertaining race as usual, good night everybody
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2964171)   #1078
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
I hope Petit Le Mans proved itself worthy to the ACO, entertaining race as usual, good night everybody
Way too many FCYs, though... yes they made for a good finish, but 10 cautions in less than 10 hours is pretty Daytona-esque. One could make a case against PLM at Rd. Atlanta from that...
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:20 (Ref:2964172)   #1079
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, off to bed too. Good night everyone!
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2964173)   #1080
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Oh look, Dyson has gotten another Le Mans invite they can turn down.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:26 (Ref:2964175)   #1081
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Way too many FCYs, though... yes they made for a good finish, but 10 cautions in less than 10 hours is pretty Daytona-esque. One could make a case against PLM at Rd. Atlanta from that...
My one major issue with this race.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:36 (Ref:2964176)   #1082
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
yet that's what the post alms press conference report on EI implied,sadly.

"It's not planned that PLM takes place in WSC's schedule"
That differs from Dagys/Speed: "
ILMC director Frederic-Henry Biabaud confirmed to SPEED.com that no decision has been made for the second North/South American race for the WEC, but would not rule out of the Petit Le Mans being a possibility."
Old 2 Oct 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2964177)   #1083
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As cool as the LMPs are, I still MUCH prefer the GTs. You don't have to worry about separate chassis/engine manufacturers and you have less artificial stuff, it's all road-derived hardware.

Super disappointed with Corvette's 4th-place finish, but my hats are off to the Flying Lizard for moving up at the very end. The guys at AF Corse sure are tough joes.

I'm sure damn hoping that we'll see most of the teams back for more next year. Sure, the American tracks are smaller than most of the European tracks, but the 2012 ALMS season looks to be far healthier (race # wise) than the 2012 LMS season, if there's even going to be one.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2964180)   #1084
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
*Favourite* quote of the night by Grand Am fan on SPUDTV.com

"[..]the No. 8 Peugeot, now in the hands of Stephane Sarrazin, holds a considerable three-lap lead over the No. 10 Team ORECA Matmut Peugeot 908 HDi-FAP in second, [....]"
"The No. 33 Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-01g of Christophe Bouchut holds a comfortable nine-lap lead in LMP2 [....]"

And people wonder why the US does not care about this series?

Yet, over 100,000 people attend an event in America with top factory teams and international formula 1 level drivers that hasnt even been around for 20 years while the decades long classic the Rolex 24 under his favourite series is drawing flies. Guess he is in his long wait for the Snore before the Rolex 24.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2964181)   #1085
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
*Favourite* quote of the night by Grand Am fan on SPUDTV.com

"[..]the No. 8 Peugeot, now in the hands of Stephane Sarrazin, holds a considerable three-lap lead over the No. 10 Team ORECA Matmut Peugeot 908 HDi-FAP in second, [....]"
"The No. 33 Level 5 Motorsports HPD ARX-01g of Christophe Bouchut holds a comfortable nine-lap lead in LMP2 [....]"

And people wonder why the US does not care about this series?

Yet, over 100,000 people attend an event in America with top factory teams and international formula 1 level drivers that hasnt even been around for 20 years while the decades long classic the Rolex 24 under his favourite series is drawing flies. Guess he is in his long wait for the Snore before the Rolex 24.
He's right you know. American race fans want excitment and passes for the lead everylap.

People watch Grand-Am more becasue it's ownded by NASCAR and ocassionally has NASCAR stars race in the series. Especially in the Daytona 24 Hours. So they're used to it. Not trying to affend anybody with the statment.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 02:36 (Ref:2964182)   #1086
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
He's right you know. American race fans want excitment and passes for the lead everylap.

People watch Grand-Am more becasue it's ownded by NASCAR and ocassionally has NASCAR stars race in the series. Especially in the Daytona 24 Hours. So they're used to it. Not trying to affend anybody with the statment.
I dont watch Grand Am because its owned by NASCAR! I watch it because, like almost every other sports car racing series, it can often produce great racing.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 02:40 (Ref:2964183)   #1087
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Interesting to see the opinions on Montagny vs Dumas here and on Facebook, on facebook right now is crazy and almost everybody on the ALMS, Audi Sport and even Peugeot Sport pages are ticked off with Peugeot. Everyone seems to think Peugeot did it on purpose.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 02:42 (Ref:2964184)   #1088
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I dont watch Grand Am because its owned by NASCAR! I watch it because, like almost every other sports car racing series, it can often produce great racing.
I know that, after viewing your posts, I can imagine your stance on NASCAR. I'm saying Grand-Am is more popular because it's owned by NASCAR and NASCAR is the most watched form of auto racing in America. So a lot of NASCAr fans will watch Grand-Am as the ocassional diver races in the series among other things.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 06:00 (Ref:2964203)   #1089
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the video several times, I have the impression Romain Dumas hit the GTC Porsche BEFORE Franck Montagny slightly move on the left
Old 2 Oct 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2964204)   #1090
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to see the opinions on Montagny vs Dumas here and on Facebook, on facebook right now is crazy and almost everybody on the ALMS, Audi Sport and even Peugeot Sport pages are ticked off with Peugeot. Everyone seems to think Peugeot did it on purpose.

Mmmmh I bet Audi fans invaded the Peugeot-Sport Facebook page
Old 2 Oct 2011, 06:03 (Ref:2964205)   #1091
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Watching the video several times, I have the impression Romain Dumas hit the GTC Porsche BEFORE Franck Montagny slightly move on the left
Thats the impression a lot of us got... Simply a racing incident.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 06:35 (Ref:2964211)   #1092
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The peugeot is moving over slightly. On the one hand I see what all the Audi people are saying. Montagny knew the Audi would be very close. He could've watched his mirrors. On the other hand Audi is trying to put a move on the Peugeot it should be his responsibility to do it safe. And that wasn't a really safe move if you ask me.
To be honest I'm just gutted to see it end like this. Could've been such a incredible race to the finish.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 07:10 (Ref:2964221)   #1093
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
not only a lot of us. Also race control decided on no further action. I think if there had just only be glimmer of an option to issue a penalty they would have done so.

I find it al the more strange that, having gone through all the reactions above after the incident, I have noted that nobody changed his mind after his first impression. (my first reaction after the incident was "words will be spoken" and that was sort of spot-on) For me it would be interesting to see whether Montagny really lifted, after overtaking the Porsche, because he had no objective reason to do so.

Finally, it appears that endurance racing on these kind of tracks has more of a series of sprint races with every hour a new rolling start. Perhaps it might be an idea then to separate the whole race into these sections and calculate a result afterwards. I think it is unworthy of motorracing that one drives the hell out of himself and gets a neat advantage, only to see that being reduced to zero because of some idiotic full course yellow.

And for those wondering why for me the race was over after the crash, I simply needed to get up early this morning...
Old 2 Oct 2011, 07:42 (Ref:2964224)   #1094
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not adopt the Code 60? Full course yellows, '60' boards are shown and the cars maintain their gaps and sit on the pit lane speed limiter until the green light is given.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2964262)   #1095
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post
.......yet that's what the post alms press conference report on EI implied,sadly.....
I know google translate comes out with some weird translations, but this is what it came up with from the first paragraph -

"At the traditional press conference, Scott Atherton, ALMS President, gave an outline of what will be the 2012 season. Regulatory side, the series will be in a stable, although it might take a little more distance with the rules issued by the COA. The five categories are kept in place, including LMP1, LMP2, LMPC, GT and GTC. In LMP1, the "great mothers" will always be accepted, as reiterated Scott Atherton. Despite the arrival of the World Endurance Championship in 2012, the partnership Automobile Club of Western / American Le Mans Series will be for the future. Entries for the Le Mans 24 Hours will always be attributed, as is the case since the launch of the American series."

Aside from that, and even as an Audi fan, I don't think that Montagny has anything to answer for. As someone else said, racing incident, end of story. If the Poojoes have similar visibility to the R18's, Montagny would have had the sun in his eyes plus lack of rear view vision. In any case, can you see Peugeot giving a rats about it. I know that they had nothing to fight for, but it seemed to me that Audi threw the towel in today.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2964271)   #1096
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
not only a lot of us. Also race control decided on no further action. I think if there had just only be glimmer of an option to issue a penalty they would have done so.

I find it al the more strange that, having gone through all the reactions above after the incident, I have noted that nobody changed his mind after his first impression. (my first reaction after the incident was "words will be spoken" and that was sort of spot-on) For me it would be interesting to see whether Montagny really lifted, after overtaking the Porsche, because he had no objective reason to do so.
I did, my first reaction was that it was 100% Dumas, I only realized what had actually happened after seeing the replay.

Why would Montagny have lifted? I think he was just slow off the corner because the Porsche held him up slightly, allowing Dumas to get a run.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:31 (Ref:2964272)   #1097
Plex
Rookie

Plex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom908V12 View Post
Mmmmh I bet Audi fans invaded the Peugeot-Sport Facebook page
Actual there is young person who profile pic he has a gun and he is very upset. He is clearly an Audi fan based on his responses of the Dumas / Frank incident. I respect that this incident would upset the Audi fans, but i cant understand why Dumas would taken the inside move when clearly u had the better tires and at one point of time u would have overtaken Frank and there was nothing Frank could have done.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2964275)   #1098
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Looking forward to Zhuhai, this has been a fantastic season of sports car racing and one of the better ones I can remember. Cant believe its Zhuhai and then thats it for 2011.
Same here, six month wait til Sebring with only Zhuhai and Daytona in between, oh the pain... but it has been a fantastic season of racing in ALMS, again.

Really enjoyed the race and Martin/Nick commentary. GT2 was intsense as usual and it was nice to have petrol car on the overall podium. As for the full course yellows, yes ten cautions was a bit too much but most of those were justified, it was always going to happen with traffic this bad.

Somewhat disappointed with Corvette's campaign this season, but Le Mans win makes up for the most of it.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2964288)   #1099
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I wish the West lambo was still here, we could have a real catfight over GT2 "Division B's" ultimate supremacy - Jaguar vs Lotus vs Doran Ford vs Lamborghini. That's a bunch of DNFs, accidents and poor lap times just waiting to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
My guess is that at least one of the Jags will outqualify the Lotuses (while other one gets hit by usual engine problems or whatever), but in the race the Jetalliance -run machines will cover plenty of more laps. Double DNF for RSR, maybe a low-profile finish for the Evora(s).
Division B results are in:

Quali
1) #99 Jaguar XKR - 1:20.996
2) #98 Jaguar XKR - 1:21.335
3) #65 Lotus Evora - 1:22.560
4) #64 Lotus Evora - 1:23.760
5) #40 Doran Ford - N/A

Race
1) #40 Doran Ford - 350L
2) #65 Lotus Evora - 237L
3) #64 Lotus Evora - 197L
4) #99 Jaguar XKR - 97L
5) #98 Jaguar XKR - 27L

Also I heard that the Lotuses had been given a smaller restrictor pre-silverstone

Last edited by Deleted; 2 Oct 2011 at 11:42.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2964296)   #1100
Bubak
Rookie

Bubak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBubak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting quote here https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...tlichkeit.html

Romain Dumas (Audi R18 TDI #1): “Right from the start we had a well-balanced car. We knew that we had to avoid accidents despite the heavy traffic. That worked out well. All three of us did good stints although we drove cautiously. I caught the leading Peugeot and tried overtaking it for the first time. Even then we already had slight contact. The second time he had previously had contact with a GT Porsche and lost some speed. I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. (((** My opinion, this idea failed. He had not to be there. ))) Franck Montagny knew that I was going to pass him and deliberately drove on my line. Maybe I was too nice because I steered to the left in order to avoid a collision and hit the slower Porsche in the process. A very stupid maneuver on Montagny’s part.”