Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Dec 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2804833)   #651
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
open face helmets are not homologated.
Old 15 Dec 2010, 23:52 (Ref:2804970)   #652
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
NASCAR banned open faced helmets at the end of their 2004 season, and it seems that the ACO followed suit for closed cars, especially when only F1 homologated helmets from Arai, Bell, and Shuberth are endorsed by IMSA and the ACO.

And aside from the visor tinting, I don't see how the helmets impact visibility either, aside from Dindo's issue at PLM. I think that the curved windshields--even the Pug's "optically flat" windshield--and the anti-glare blacked out areas are the main culprits aside from the roof itself. I think that many of Audi's drivers with GT experience will help them there, though after a while it seemed that most of Pug's drivers got used to it.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 00:45 (Ref:2804981)   #653
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange that the ACO dont allow open faced helmets' the FIA allowed them in FIA GT, Manu Collard always wore one.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 02:20 (Ref:2804990)   #654
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea what the V angle of the V6 in the R18 is?

I am far from an automotive engineer, so a number does not instantly pop into my head.

As I recall, old F1 V6s were more obtuse than the common road car 60 degrees for a lower centre of gravity.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 04:44 (Ref:2805004)   #655
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
120 degrees
Old 16 Dec 2010, 04:52 (Ref:2805006)   #656
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Audi V6 is either 90 or 120 deg depending on who you ask. We won't know until we see the engine, though, but those are the two most likely V angles.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2805100)   #657
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I would expect 120, to keep deck height low, lower COG, take advantage of the wider LMP1 tub shape, etc, etc, etc.
If the 'turbo in the vee' idea is right, then 120 again wins, as there's more room to breathe in there.

Now, if there's 2 turbos, life gets interesting! Although Porsche's 962 carried them outboard of the flat 6. Keep the weight down low.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2805122)   #658
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Now, if there's 2 turbos, life gets interesting! Although Porsche's 962 carried them outboard of the flat 6. Keep the weight down low.
Can you explain for the mechanical idiots in the crowd?
I understand wanting to keep weight low but....
Old 16 Dec 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2805198)   #659
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Can you explain for the mechanical idiots in the crowd?
I understand wanting to keep weight low but....
Well if Audi has gone and placed the turbo in the center of the V, even at 120 degrees, it becomes a packaging issue if they have more than one put there. But looking at the roof inlet, there just simply doesn't seem to be enough cross sectional area to feed two turbos. So I'm inclined to believe it's one, possibly located within the V, feed by the roof, and a 120 degree block angle to push mass lower.

But let's entertain one more location, in the bellhousing. For years Champ Cars, when they were turbo, put their single turbo in the bellhousing. This would allow the turbo to be low from a CG standpoint.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2805278)   #660
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 16 Dec 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2805281)   #661
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
But let's entertain one more location, in the bellhousing. For years Champ Cars, when they were turbo, put their single turbo in the bellhousing. This would allow the turbo to be low from a CG standpoint.
I know its a little OT but this is interesting, anyone have any pictures of a setup like this?
Old 16 Dec 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2805321)   #662
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
I know its a little OT but this is interesting, anyone have any pictures of a setup like this?
http://www.howstuffworks.com/champ-car.htm/printable

scroll down to the engine descriptions...

Old 16 Dec 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2805322)   #663
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
here :
http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/HC6979.jpg

and the other side :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/DSC_6468.jpg
Old 16 Dec 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2805329)   #664
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the french journalist who talked about the turbos inside the V and the exhaust located where you know was right for the latter, he learnt it from someone working with Audi, he must be right also for the turbos.
Old 16 Dec 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2805363)   #665
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Something a little more relevant to sportscars:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/nasamaxdm139-4.html
Old 17 Dec 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2805470)   #666
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Having a turbo inside the V, doesn't that create a lot of heat?. Heat you normally would try distribute over the whole car, instead of having it centered at one, very hot place!?.
If it does, it must create some reliability issues, or require a lot of cooling..
Old 17 Dec 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2805568)   #667
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Single turbo, then the most likely place is in the vee, or just behind it, over the gearbox. I don't see enough body height behind the engine for it to be there, so I expect in the vee.
Oh, and you need plumbing asshort as possible, to minimise the lag all turbos have.

Errr? Is SUPERcharging allowed? THAT could explain things... Extra length of a V6, for one.
Old 17 Dec 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2805586)   #668
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the info Mike and others.

Wouldn't a supercharger weigh a bit more than a turbo?
Old 17 Dec 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2805665)   #669
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I think it depends on what/how it is engineered.
I suspect it could be done in Carbon, so end up MUCH lighter. Especially a Rootes type Blower. If that would work OK with a diesel. Certainly S/C is better at low revs. AND no lag, as it's engine driven.

Hmmm. Where's Knighty when you need him? I need a Diesel Engine Knowledge Base...
Old 17 Dec 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2805693)   #670
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm afraid Audi need 2 LeMans editions to make this car a winner. I think don't go with this car at 12H of Sebring is an error. They can collect tons information in a 12H race and make understand better the car and give some experience on how to work with closed coupe in real situations.
Hope Peugeot don't complain about R15++ like last year
Old 17 Dec 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2805695)   #671
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Thanks for the info Mike and others.

Wouldn't a supercharger weigh a bit more than a turbo?
Not sure about the weight, but with the exception of a twin-Lysholm type supercharger, there is too much parasitic drain as the pressure and speeds increase due to the drag caused by the belts to spin the blower.

It's not as efficient as a turbo for that reason, although I do agree that it reduces the lag...however, most turbos now have the electronics adapted to them so that the turbine can keep the pressure up and you don't get the lag when throttling up from a slow corner, as an example.

That's why they make the "whizzing" sound when they are braking going into a corner...that's the turbo spooling to keep the pressure up.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 Dec 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2805701)   #672
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought that was the main reason for a turbo over a blower in most applications, it takes away too much hp. I saw in the specs for a blower that one of the SpikeTV car shows installed that it took 125 hp to power the blower to make an additional 200, but the torque advantage made it worthwhile for a drag race installation. Not sure the diesel would benefit from the additional torque. Most of the supercharged diesel stuff I've seen online uses an electric supercharger to drive the turbo at low engine revs to make it more efficient, although I'm guessing Audi could do the same work with variable vanes and engine management software.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2805823)   #673
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
For those who wonder about turbo lag, remember that Garrett made VTG turbos for Audi for the R15 last year, and they worked fine. It wouldn't make much sense for Audi to run a single turbo--or even twin turbos--and discard that concept.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 00:41 (Ref:2805836)   #674
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I would've edited this, but I got a message that the editing function timed out. So my applogies.

I though of this when I was thinking about the 2011 revisions to the Audi R15.

Does anyone think that the R18 will ultimately run the flat flaps in the nose like the R15 did last year for rules compliance, or does the diffuser being so aggressive and the actual front bodywork mask the questionable suspension parts? And where would the front brake ducts be? I'd imagine in about the same place as the R15, but it seems that the front bodywork and the diffuser obscure them from view, at least in Audi's photos of the car.
Old 18 Dec 2010, 02:06 (Ref:2805845)   #675
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldnt think they would be runnin flaps at all , to cover any suspension bits ..... I would expect that from design that all the regs have been met ..... with respect to diveplanes , I expect they will differ from track to track .

Have I picked you up right ?