Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1092746)   #1
Fondmetal
Rookie

Fondmetal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Coulthard is finished

as much as I like DC, i think as a driver in f1 he is finished! how much longer can he continue? every race he gets humiliated by kimi, often 1 sec slower in all sessions...

what is wrong with DC? 1 second is a huge margin!!
Old 11 Sep 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1092753)   #2
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a space at Jaguar, and being 1 second slower than Kimi would make Christian Klien look good.

I agree DC has never set the world alight, If it wasn't for the sad events of 1994 I doubt if DC would ever have become an F1 driver.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 10:49 (Ref:1092762)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can see a lot of thought has gone into this., with all points justified. DC bashing is often considered a sport around here, however his future and rating is intreging.

Thread name changed from 'fact' to something that invites discussion

1s is an interesting figure. The highly rated Raikkonen has been quicker than DC almost all this year, but is it that much?

mark_I I doubt Jaguar Racing would employ someone to be slower to make someone else look good.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Sep 2004 at 11:04.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1092764)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.pitpass.com/src/seasons/2...difference.php
The average qualifying difference between Kimi and David up to and including the Belgium GP is 0.121s. This suprises me, I'd have thought it was more. Does it include a GP that Kimi messed up a Q?
Old 11 Sep 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1092777)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If this one gets far into a second page without degenerating into bashing and repetition, I'd be shocked.

Kimi relatively 'messed up' Spa, which explains part of how small the gap is, but as a whole it's because DC hasn't been as bad as people want us to believe. Until Spa he was ahead in the championship as well (albeit with better reliability)
Old 11 Sep 2004, 11:22 (Ref:1092783)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
And for the moment DC is quicker than Kimi in Q1 by 0.085s.

Back to the season as a whole without Spa it would be 0.257s in Kimi's favour.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 13:13 (Ref:1092855)   #7
RedNine Racing
Racer

Australia
Adelaide,Australia
RedNine Racing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes,he`s finished.Has been for a few years!

Sorry,sad but true i believe!

ROCK ON COURTNEY,FORD and SBR
ROCK ON FERRARI! n thanks 4 the memories Ruby,Schumi and bugga off Felipe
2007 F1 Champion Kimi Raikkonen
2007 MLB Champions Boston RedSox
Old 11 Sep 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1092864)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll find something, somewhere, for 2005 I'm sure.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 13:26 (Ref:1092872)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are teams out there that could use DC's steady hand, technical knowledge, and good PR skills, which is so important in todays F1 world.

I still believe DC's race pace is good, but he cannot seem to come to grips with this one lap qualifying system. If he were able to, I think we would see some much higher finishes from him...

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Sep 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1093175)   #10
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Gerald Donaldson (F1 commentator TSN in Canada), he stated today that there is a high probability of DC going to BAR next year.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 20:08 (Ref:1093180)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BAR would be a good home for David.

His knowledge of McLaren over the years will be an asset and he's still a great racer.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1093314)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nah! they need a young 'Tiger'!
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:34 (Ref:1093317)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like Anthony Davidson, perchance?

He'd be another good choice
Old 11 Sep 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1093325)   #14
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would choose Davidson over Coulthard, although I don't think DC is a bad driver. It's just that his team mates have been faster. Anyway, I can imagine many teams would benefit from hiring an experienced driver like DC, but I don't think he will win a lot of races anymore.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 06:30 (Ref:1093662)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure someone out there could use coulthard as he has a lot of experience and knowledge and would be an asset in the developmental area. But in the racing area, I don't think top teams are going to be looking in his direction. As Patrick Head said earlier this year, one weekend he has it together, the next he's nowhere, with no explanation. He has been in a top seat his entire career of ten years and has had his chances to get a WC and hasn't pulled it off. Time to pass his seat over to someone else.

Probably the team on the grid he could help the most would be Jag/Ford. Going to Jordan/Dubai would be a sign of desperation, sauber is not interested and probably the only other possibilities for a race seat would be BAR or Toyota, but not likely. I could see him sticking around as test driver for Mclaren a la Panis at Toyota. He said before he wants to be racing in F1 until 2011, so whatever he does it better keep his career momentum up.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 08:07 (Ref:1093771)   #16
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Coulthard's best days are behind him & he'll struggle to get a drive next year.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 08:12 (Ref:1093774)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure DC will have a seat next year. He is far too experienced not to be snapped up by someone. I maintain I believe DC will drive for Jaguar next year.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 08:19 (Ref:1093778)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by mark_l

I agree DC has never set the world alight, If it wasn't for the sad events of 1994 I doubt if DC would ever have become an F1 driver.

Whatever the future may hold for DC, I think this statement is patently incorrect.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1093877)   #19
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DC. hes a calm guy, and on his day he is an exceptional driver. however, as has been mentioned, he lacks consistency and lacks real talent as a competitor. it amazes me that pretty-much every other driver has mastered or got to grips with the now old one-lap quali. after nearly two seasons, he hasn't!!! what?! its like changing the dimensions of a football and a footballer afterwards not to be able to kick it in a straight line...for two years!!!

but even all that, hes a good driver on his day with bags of experience and driving talent. remember that on more than a few occasions hes been last and overtaken his way up to the points...at circuits where you're apparently not supposed to overtake on!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 12 Sep 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1093892)   #20
Big Mark
Rookie

Big Mark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must put my 2p in....
My best bet is that DC will go to BAR next year and to be honest it is a move that should have happened 2 or more years ago (not to BAR but to a different team)
DC has been sat in a very comfortable seat for too long not having to really justify his seat.
Very big questions are going to be asked of DC next year and I think he will respond in the right way, sod the mr nice guy image, go out and drive like you mean it!!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1093915)   #21
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't see the logic why BAR would want DC, they would like someone at same LEVEL as Button or more! and i don't see DC anywhere near as button. I would be surprised to see him at BAR as no top team would touch him even if they had a spare seat.

I agree with Big Mark, he has had a comfortable seat for to long, aand paid VERY VERY comfortably.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1093935)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who do you suggest that's at the same level as Button then, mstar? All the other top drivers are taken. People don't seem to understand the need for experience and dedication that DC offers, not to mention his marketing skills and PR ability.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:14 (Ref:1093945)   #23
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am confused with your statement Boots...so speed in the car is secondary to marketing/PR ability??????? what exactly are you trying to say?

The dissapointing thing is that there is nobody available who can replace button, so BAR probably will have to go with a up-and-coming driver OR experienced and not as fast DC, either way BAR will have a weaker line-up next year thats for sure

Last edited by mstar; 12 Sep 2004 at 11:15.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:24 (Ref:1093956)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
If I may Boots. I think it is clear that Boots is not saying that 'speed in the car is secondary to marketing/PR ability'. However those skills are still important.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 11:30 (Ref:1093962)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mstar
The dissapointing thing is that there is nobody available who can replace button, so BAR probably will have to go with a up-and-coming driver OR experienced and not as fast DC, either way BAR will have a weaker line-up next year thats for sure

I resent that, there are 2 former World Champions in mint condition available.

There are 2 versions available, a Canadian one which comes with a humorous 'Talk **** about driver x' button while the Finnish version has an easily accessable 'Minimalistic Speech' switch.

Last edited by ASCII Man; 12 Sep 2004 at 11:36.