Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Aug 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1079352)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dallara to start F1 project

I hope you guys don't find this too far off-topic, I just thought you guys might be interested in this.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13433.html
Old 27 Aug 2004, 20:53 (Ref:1079522)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think its very interesting.

I've heard rumors that Dallara might take a shot at F1. I wonder if it would be for a new team? The article makes it sound as though it could be a Russian team.

Who would have thought the Russians would beat us to F1?

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Aug 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1079524)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Are Dallara not Italian??
Old 27 Aug 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1079528)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, they are.

But a Russian team wants Dallara to build chassis for them.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1079548)   #5
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dont worry falcon chassis company will pick up dallaras slack in the series.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1079559)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is that a joke nsxr?

Dallara would still supply Indycars too.

And Falcon are no longer in business AFAIK.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1079573)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I liked the look of that Falcon , shame it never got off the ground and made it to a race.

As for Dallara going back to F1 , why ????????

Ok money , but seriously they have been there done that and were not that great better than some but never a race winning contender.

They make IRL cars , plus Formula 3 cars and probably something else as well , why bother with F1 again ???

but if they do it then good luck to them
Old 27 Aug 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1079579)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Dallara would be doing F1 on a customer basis - ie they're being paid to design and supply the cars, therefore it's good business.

And the additional chassis research may help improve all their products.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 22:37 (Ref:1079586)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
good point , but gee ya dont wanna spread yourself to thin , each and every car needs 24 hr attention.

time will tell and the proof will be on the track i guess
Old 27 Aug 2004, 22:42 (Ref:1079590)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

That's true.

Having seen the Dallara factory, it's very much geared up for F1 production - and inevitably the workforce would be expanded to suit.
Old 28 Aug 2004, 00:23 (Ref:1079639)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I imagine that building an F1 chassis, has to be way different than building spec chassis for the IRL, and Formula 3. I assume it would be much more challenging from an engineering standpoint.

Also, the accolades and money for building a winning F1 chassis, has to be far greater than in any other series.

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Aug 2004, 16:51 (Ref:1080695)   #12
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chassis manufacturers have never succeeded in modern Formula 1.

Lola...flunk.

Reynard...flunk.

Dallara...well, hopefully they are smart enough to realise the trend.
Old 29 Aug 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1080996)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but engine builders have succeeded in the past?
the ford cosworth DFV
not to shabby.
honda's BMWs
well until the current era things were often a TEAM Manufacturer/Chassis builder
if dallara is aligned with a good team and engine contrract or even build chassis for someone i don't see why it can't work
Reynard's disaster was also found in terribly weak honda engine and such- they have pulled it together- even if HONDA is building their own chassis now.
but factory teams are what survive and thrive now a days it isn't just Engines and chassis but the two built in conjunction and harmony so it works best...
jordan and ford and minardi and their cossies slop and old stuff, just as Reynard and Honda, not built strictly for one engine and as stressed members this is big i take it.
if dallara is tightly aligned with an engine builder things can be different after all what is the difference if Dallara build it and set up shop at the manufacturer (engine of course) it can work...
Climb are you out there? maybe you can shed some light here and your wisdom.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 06:38 (Ref:1081216)   #14
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much will depend on the engine, as gtt rightly pointed out.
From what I know it still has to be chosen, let's hope its gonna be some competitive stuff.
Certainly a newbie cannot pretend they could challege Ferrari and Macs; for their first year I think the task is to beat Jordan.
About this conditioning the IRL project, we can rule this option out, cos not much of an innovation is expectable in the future about chassis.

Infact IRL may have realized the the curerent ones are (albeit ugly) very safe and performing, and it could be wortwhile keepiong them, insetad of releasing a brand-new car in 2006.
Chassis competition has brought to a very well-balanced situation, and, as we know compeittion arises costs, they may evaluate it's convenient to focus competition on engines. Therefore I reckon at Dallara they're not too worried about that.
Old 30 Aug 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1081777)   #15
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I don't know about that. Now a days, while a strong engine is a huge advantage, it's not necessary for a fast racecar. Just look at Renault. They are arguably the second fastest team at the moment just because of their superior chassis. A quick chassis is much more important than a quick engine.

As well, it's likely that this Dallara team won't have strong engines. There are no factory automakers willing to invest into an F1 team. This team will have to buy Cosworth, Toyota, or Mercedes engines.

An F1 project is also very risky financially. Lola lost a whack of money as a result of their F1 project, and had to cut back their efforts significantly to recover. It's why they almost went extinct in Champ Car (save Arnd Meier). Not only this, but their reputation took a severe hit.

Reynard never got the results they needed with BAR. The sheer resources they diverted to try and improve the car (and failing to do so) hurt them financially and hurt the development of their sportscar and champ cars. Before they could correct the tailspin, they were bankrupt

The point being, unless Dallara succeeds in building a fast chassis, and the team they supply the chassis to doesn't suck. The project will very quickly fail. Even if those standards are achieved. I can't see the team doing any better than beating Jordan and Minardi.

It would appear that if Dallara were to enter Formula 1, they’d enter with this mysterious Russian partner. That’s all good and fine, but I have no doubt Dallara’s goal is to capitalize on the FIA allowing customer chassis, and hopefully selling their cars to teams looking to make the jump into Formula 1. This is not very smart whatsoever. If you are a junior team like Arden, Super Nova, or Carlin, are you going to buy: Dallara’s chassis (who have experience building F3, IRL, and sportscars), or a year old Williams or McLaren chassis (who have been building Formula 1 cars for 20 years). The investment in a proven quality chassis would be well worth it.

The risks, amount of money, and size of a Formula 1 project cannot be underestimated. They have a whole lot to lose and little to gain.

Last edited by StickShift; 30 Aug 2004 at 19:04.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 06:39 (Ref:1082263)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
StSh, I don't agrre with your points, albeit respecting them.

From what I know Lola and Reynard's bankruptcies came a long way, being susbtancially due to mismanagement and wrong strategies.

Of course the new team won't aim at fighting Ferrari or McLaren, cos they first goal will supposedly be that of beating Jordan.

And about Dallara, I hope theyy won'r be so stupid to do what Lola and Reynard did in sportscars, i.e. investing huge monies in R&D just to make and try and sell a car.
Exclusive agreements can grant you the money you need to prosperate, particularly in F1, where it's not even imaginable to sell commercial chassis!

My opinion on this problem is that a non-motorsport company wanting to enter F1 has obviously to turn to a motorsport one to get the car, and then to set up a team.

Now, if we take a glance to the current panorama, we got to say that Dallara was not only the best option, but, I'd say, the only remained.
Therefore this mysterious newcomer had, actually, no alternatives.
Purchasing others' old chassis?
Let alone the risk of rule changes that make a current chassis unusable net year, yet you have to manage a car you don't know and you'll have therefore many problems to optimise.
Old 31 Aug 2004, 11:16 (Ref:1082532)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all good points Climb- it does seem that a Dallar project is one of the best bets as the chassis freez in the IRL and a rul set and cars already developed for sportscars is set up, a Formula 1 project seems as if it is within Dallara's capabilities and certainly their resources, and who else could step up and offer such expertise?
perhap Jaguar will reinvent it self witha Dallara partnership and all this is a rouse...
have you settle in well Climb to you new Palace?
Old 31 Aug 2004, 23:04 (Ref:1083245)   #18
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had reason to talk to Katirina Dallara recently and she was very evasive about any F-1 dealings that the company might have. That being said she seemed very interested if that rumor was very strong here in the States. I told her that no one in the IRL paddock was talking about it but there was internet speculation that they were going to build a car for F-1. According to Katirina thay have developed parts for F-1 cars for quite some time but wouldn't disclose who they did the work for. Katirina also told me that they had a new design for a IRL car or at least some ideas for some changes to the present car but they had not received any updated information as to what the IRL would like to do for the next change of cars.
climb, would you perhaps know a friend of mine that does engineering work sometimes for Dallara, Maurizio Nardon? I understand that Maurizio is now working for the Mazaretti World GT team and I have lost communication with him.
Old 1 Sep 2004, 06:08 (Ref:1083444)   #19
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Dunno him personally, though his name is well known n the italian motorsport (was Nigel Masell's track engineer at the time he drove a Ferrari)