Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2003, 04:46 (Ref:675951)   #1
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Montoya

in the swap that occured awhile back it is rreported by RACER magazine that Jeff gordon actually got within a second of Montoya's time around Indianapolis road circuit!
Within 1 second- A current car or practice suiting an F1 drive Jeff Gordon can actually do it, Win Races.
Also I might want to add they did a computer repaint of the 24 chevy of Gordon and Montoya's Williams and the Williams with dupont livery and a flame job- and the NASCAR tank with a very elegant white and blue livery. withthe HP logo on its flank... very nice.
I will try to post the pic if the admins see it as okay seeing as the sorce is noted...
Old 31 Jul 2003, 08:30 (Ref:676055)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Within a second? I find that hard to believe. One detail that I found easier to swallow was that he did about eight laps and was reported to be knackered.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 09:16 (Ref:676093)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Within one second my butt-cheek!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 10:12 (Ref:676126)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I saw that too a while back, Frank was very impressed!

Also Montoya got pretty close to Gordon's NASCAR time, not sure how much off he was though.

PS Love to see those paint jobs!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 11:00 (Ref:676165)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry to burst your respective bubbles - I watched "Tradin Paint" twice on Speed Channel - Each driver did installation laps in their own car before going to the other. BOTH drivers got to within a second of the other's best time in their own car.

Like many of you, I am not overly impressed by NASCAR drivers but make no mistake - Jeff Gordon can drive an F1 car and be competitive. And he wasn't "knackered" he said he was surprised by how many g's the car pulled and that his neck was sore. Don't forget he has been turning left a long time.

So yes, hard to believe or not, Gordon was within a second and he got there pretty darn quick. Jeff started out in open wheel and you could tell he was really jazzed to drive an F1 car. This is one American driver who has the talent, fits in the car beautifully and I gues would be considered "too old" as he is 32. Oh well, I can dream about what "might have been!"

JPM was quick in Jeff's car too!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 31 Jul 2003 at 11:01.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 11:02 (Ref:676167)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK - so I didn't see it, and now I wish I had!

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt."
I must remember that.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 11:05 (Ref:676169)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
It was a terrific show! The acceleration of the F1 car was amazing! The in-car showed Jeff's head moving dramatically on the upshifts - you could tell he just was not ready for that. But I am telling you, they did not even do a seat fitting and he tucked right in just like he belonged there - curses that NASCAR got him!

Hope that they show it in your neighborhood or that someone like Duke Video gets ahold of the rights.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 11:12 (Ref:676174)   #8
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John, I agree. I didn't get to see the whole show, but Gordon looked like a natural. Its a shame that at 32, he IS too old for F1, but he still has a long career in NASCAR ahead of him. Clearly, though, he was the best opportunity we could have had for a great American Driver in F1.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:37 (Ref:676257)   #9
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was really fun to watch! It will probably be shown again some time during the off-season.

I thought I heard that Gordon's best lap was within a second of the slowest qualifying time for last year's USGP... maybe they did say Montoya's lap though.

Last edited by racefanatic; 31 Jul 2003 at 12:37.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 12:44 (Ref:676272)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
See http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=39002

There was a movie of both of them at http://www.brickyard.com I don't know if it is still there.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 15:16 (Ref:676382)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

I saw the 'tradin' paint' on Speed as well and I know this is part of an older thread but i renewed it after i read the RACER article and had to show you this
Attached Thumbnails
swap2.jpg  
Old 31 Jul 2003, 19:40 (Ref:676596)   #12
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! just a second under Monti's time he should be in F1.

how's he doindg in Nascar these days.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 19:51 (Ref:676606)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
I saw the 'tradin' paint' on Speed as well and I know this is part of an older thread but i renewed it after i read the RACER article and had to show you this
They both look pretty cool!

It's a shame Jeff didnt take that job with BAR in '99....I'm gonna check that video now..
Old 31 Jul 2003, 20:05 (Ref:676616)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oooh, i'd love to see that paint job on the FW25, or any F1 car for that matter!
Old 31 Jul 2003, 20:08 (Ref:676620)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to see the NASCAR in simple colours without the thousands of little sponsor stickers.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:02 (Ref:676670)   #16
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you watch a lot of Speed Channel, you probably could not have helped but see it, they replayed it many times.
I agree that Jeff Gordon did not look at all out of place in the FW24 (they used last years car). Apparently the Williams mechanics and engineers were also suitably impressed. It is really too bad that he'll never be in F1, I kinda feel that way about Paul Tracy too, not sure why though.

I like the paint swap too, but like Adam, without the sponsor stickers would be nicer.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:30 (Ref:676681)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Who the heck is Gordon Montoya, JPM's brother?"
Old 31 Jul 2003, 22:16 (Ref:676703)   #18
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont suppose anyone could link me to that video? I cant find it :\
Old 31 Jul 2003, 23:18 (Ref:676736)   #19
amoncada
Rookie

amoncada should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The real true

from http://www.usgpindy.com/press/story.php?story_id=1459

Montoya drove six full laps at speed, while Gordon drove seven full laps.

Unofficial times for each driver had Montoya turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 39.9 seconds in the No. 24 DuPont Monte Carlo and Gordon turning a fast lap of 1 minute, 16.5 seconds in the HP Williams-BMW FW24. Montoya qualified fourth last year for the United States Grand Prix in the FW 24 at 1:11.414.

So Gordon’s time was quite respectable for his first time behind the wheel of an F1 car.
Old 31 Jul 2003, 23:47 (Ref:676750)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed Gordon didn't get lost when the track turned right!

Just kidding folks.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 01:17 (Ref:676769)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

why wouldn't Hendrick take the chance of letting Gordon try this for a year? just to see- the posibilities are endless, and his given return as an F1 driver gone to NASCAR would be huge, and Gordon is currently 3rd in points right now...
Old 1 Aug 2003, 01:42 (Ref:676772)   #22
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not absolutely sure about this, but I believe that his major sponsors Chevrolet, Dupont and Pepsi have something to do with him being stuck in NASCAR, is you want to call it that. I happen to think it would be a totally positive situation, marketing wise, to have him go there for a year. I have no doubt he would, especially in a car like the Williams, enhance his reputation as one of the worlds great racers. His NASCAR performances on road courses only proves my point. If he thought he did well financially now, he need only look at the dude in the red car to realize the possibilities. Brooke is taking a nice pile of his cash with her. Oh well.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 04:30 (Ref:676804)   #23
gttouring
Veteran

Brooke settled for the houses and 15 million US on the sale of their assets, not bad but she also denied herself any future earnings and alimony-she could have taken him for so much more...
any way Gordon had sign a 'lifetime' contract with hendrick motorsports awhile back so... and Dupont would follow him, no doubt and Chevy- well they'd help set up a One off at INDY so F1 can be possible if hendrick supports the move- like pepsi would mind the exposure at williams or any othe team when Dupont foots the big bills.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 04:57 (Ref:676808)   #24
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Gordon ever wants to drive in Formula 1, which I doubt he really does, the only big problem he'll have is with Chevrolet; I believe his deal says that he will only race a Chevy, and no GM brand supplies F1 engines. Hendrick would let him out of his contract; the lifetime contract meant that he would drive NASCAR for Hendrick, but doesn't say anything about any other series. Dupont and Pepsi have the cash and exposure to sponsor an F1 team without Gordon's involvement
Old 1 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:677268)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

well GM has no affiliates that is true...unless hendrick switches to dodge then he can go to maclarenmercedes-
no AH- GM is a stake holdr in FIAT! and they own Ferarri!
so Gordon can drive for Ferarri on GMs blessing everyone is happy
and As Woobens barichello is rumored to be switched it'll be a Schumi Gordon pair up!..

Tags
jpm