Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:10 (Ref:1336783)   #1
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's happened to marshalling basics

An observation from around the circuits over the last few years, the day 1 basics seem to be vanishing.

No smoking while cars are on the track,
Be alert at all times while cars are on the track, not sat down or hiding in marshals huts
Don't stand in groups.

There are other items I could mention,but I'm sure others will.

I'm not talking of newbies, but experienced marshals up to and including observers.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 06:59 (Ref:1336812)   #2
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have we become complacent or lazy, or just can't be bothered?

Walking the track between sessions seems to of gone by the way side.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1336836)   #3
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky.H
Are you sure of this? It happens at all the circuits I frequent.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 08:56 (Ref:1336893)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky.H
Not on the posts I'm on! I do find, however, that we start the day full of good intentions but by mid-afternoon a gentle reminder may be needed.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1336905)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
It also depends on the circumstances. The high level of turnaround between sessions means that if we want to check the track between sessions, we have to request a gap - and that request will be denied unless we have a valid reason for checking, such as a suspicion of oil or visible debris.

As for smoking during sessions, again, it depends on the circumstances. I would never smoke at an incident, but I have been known to smoke during sessions if the turnaround is too high to provide a break and I know that I can dispose of it safely if I have to attend something. Mind you these days, I'm mostly flagging so again, less of an issue.

Standing in clumps.... what constitutes a clump? You're lucky if you get enough marshals together at a circuit to make one. I've spent a fair bit of time this year posted on my own with flags and a radio - making a clump of exactly one.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1336977)   #6
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not against anyone having a smoke,(gave it up 12 years ago )but I never smoked while cars were on circuit,no matter what discipline I was undertaking.Apart from being dangerous, it doesn't look very professional and becomes rather hypocritcal,when expecting other trackside personnel e.g photographers,media,etc to stubb their ciggies out!!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1336995)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I only smoke during sessions if I have no time to have a fag any other way and not even then unless I'm satisfied that it's safe to do so.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned about some other things I've seen lately, like inability to determine which flags to use, people standing around having committee meetings in gravel traps while there is traffic on the circuit and missed yellows. I consider that to be far more serious than someone having a quick fag on the warm up lap.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:23 (Ref:1337084)   #8
rumblefish
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
rumblefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I usually don't smoke when cars are on circuit, so I was somewhat concerned when faced with the 4 hour Fun Cup. However, the competitors were kind enough to arrange two safety car periods - giving me just enough time for a very swift Woodbine on each occasion - thanks guys.
I am surprised that circuit walking is decreasing. I understand about quick turn rounds and the problem these pose, but I will get out on circuit as often as possible, if only to stretch my legs. And I rarely return without some small (and possibly vital) piece of metalwork.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1337128)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We started out walking the circuit at the week-end, but they started bringing the next lot out immediately after the previous race had ended so it became impossible. You had to assume that this may happen after each session. I find walking the track very rewarding. Most of my tool kit has been collected this way.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1337227)   #10
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I kno wwhat you mean. Only last weekend I had to stop someone from rolling a cigarette whilst sitting down as the karts were whizzing past - and he was flagging!!
Generally despite reminders at every training event I've run, it does seem as though the basics have slipped a tad, but as has been said, when it's a full program you dont have time to walk out, let alone inspect!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 16:18 (Ref:1337368)   #11
davey boy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Crewe, Cheshire
davey boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im quite new to marshalling but i have i do agree as a smoker the track walk is a good time for a smoke but when the race and one in then one out it is hard i would never smoke while a race is on unless like in the 4hour fun cup at OP as i am quite a big smoker. but even then i made sure i couldnt be seen with a fag in my hand by the drivers or the sepcys. i marshalled the WRC last year and all the smoker did it but when we had to act thats just what we did. next we will be told not to nibble food because we ave a so called dinner hour, or drink water as it could afect are ability to act in a incident, but as all of us know when it hits the fan what ever id in our hand goes(2 bottles of water so far)
Old 22 Jun 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1337432)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy
i would never smoke while a race is on unless like in the 4hour fun cup at OP as i am quite a big smoker.
The plan to give up smoking in preparation for the Fun Cup didn't last long, did it?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1337579)   #13
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Others,

Leaving a driver unattended on the bank after an impact,
Standing the wrong side of retired car, so in the event of the car being struck getting showered in debris,
Leaving a driver sat in the car when retired around the circuit while other cars are circulating,
Going to an incident not using barriers and cars as protection,
Old 22 Jun 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1337596)   #14
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
....Not having a go at moving a car.
Particularly at places like Donington where Marshals seem resigned to the fact that if a car is in the gravel, only a tractor can move it!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1337642)   #15
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont think the smoking issue is as important as turning up to an incident without a bottle which i know has happened.maybe training in this area is much more important,and much needed.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1337659)   #16
davey boy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Crewe, Cheshire
davey boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
The plan to give up smoking in preparation for the Fun Cup didn't last long, did it?
nope but i did try dave
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1337673)   #17
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
shjo558 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll maybe finish a fag as the cars come out on their green flag lap, but wouldn't light up during a race.

Anyone thought about eating when cars are out? I was eating a lolly the other week and ran out to a car, was only on reflection I did wonder how it would be removed from my throat if I had fell on my head on the way to the car!

As an IO I would expect and ensure that the track was checked in between all sessions and races, if nothing had happened I would be quite happy to give it the once over on my own. Although I must admit, sweeping the track does seem to take longer and longer as the day goes on and by the end of the day a few stones don't seem to matter quite as much as they did in the morning.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1337714)   #18
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeman62
i dont think the smoking issue is as important as turning up to an incident without a bottle which i know has happened.maybe training in this area is much more important,and much needed.
The incident involving the Viper at 1998 GP, spliting the fuel tank makes both points valid
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1337722)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As an Observer I like to check the track as well as team, makes me feel better.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1337727)   #20
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
We are all a team and every bit helps.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1337735)   #21
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Howarth
Others,

Leaving a driver unattended on the bank after an impact,
Standing the wrong side of retired car, so in the event of the car being struck getting showered in debris,
Leaving a driver sat in the car when retired around the circuit while other cars are circulating,
Going to an incident not using barriers and cars as protection,
What exactly do you mean by 'the wrong side' and why?
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1337736)   #22
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
ditto unless its raining and then I copy Dave and stay in the hut!!
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1337741)   #23
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I try to do my bit (for what it's worth) as well.

At Mallory we in the now un-pit lane assist post 1 if there is debris or fluid on the track that they might not have spotted.

At Donington, my own rule is that if it's within the blue and white hatched zone at the pit exit provided I've got enough personpower I'll sort it, if not, whoever we've got will assist post 2 if we can.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:28 (Ref:1337742)   #24
shjo558
Racer

Scotland
Scottish Borders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
ditto unless its raining and then I copy Dave and stay in the hut!!
We tend to call the coastguard when it rains at knockhill.
Old 22 Jun 2005, 22:38 (Ref:1337750)   #25
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
What exactly do you mean by 'the wrong side' and why?
Basically if you stand near a 'stricken' car and it gets hit then the debris will continue forward 'down-wind' of the incident to were 'some' people stand, hence the wrong side - therefore if you stand 'up-wind' of the incident your out of the flying path.