Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:09 (Ref:2037614)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Masters New Series 2008

They're asking for opinions on this :http://www.themastersseries.com/typo...GD2GTflyer.pdf

And they've already decided on these :

http://www.themastersseries.com/typo...3NewSeries.pdf

As they are asking for opinions on the former and feedback on all of them I'm sure some of our posters will have some input.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:30 (Ref:2037637)   #2
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think Orwell will be too happy about 70's protos!

The GP60'S has been tried before and ended up becoming Grand Prix Masters because there weren't enough cars.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2037638)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
under 2L would eliminate a lot of MGB's and Granturas . . .allegedly. most 911's as well I suspect !

70's tin tops looks great, thats a series we've talked about and has been waititng to happen for some time now . . .the next big thing ?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2037747)   #4
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, as the owner of a 'legal', outclassed, 1300cc car, and also someone who suggested reviving the 'U2GT' idea to Masters, I'm obviously biased, but all for it!!

It would be great to get some of the cars out that we haven't seen racing for a long time. I'm talking about more Alfa Giuliettas, Porsche 356s, Abarths, Alpines, plus more 'etceterini' and rarities, that have been elbowed out of the grids in desireability terms by the 'big engine/win at all costs' bias of the current Gentleman Drivers grid.

Note that the plan is to run these races at maybe two or three meetings, in addition to the larger-engined GD grid.

What other cars can you think of/suggest?

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
under 2L would eliminate a lot of MGB's and Granturas . . .allegedly. most 911's as well I suspect !
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:23 (Ref:2037754)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
the kind of car I'd like to get, GT with the same guts as the Cortina !

I'm still looking for an affordable project!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 14:33 (Ref:2037763)   #6
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now if anyone can point me towards a nice, cheap de Tomaso Valleunga.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
the kind of car I'd like to get, GT with the same guts as the Cortina !

I'm still looking for an affordable project!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2037834)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See,ing as I cannot download this file and reading the post,s ,I take it that this is in a similar vein to U2TC,if it is,bring it on!.Just as long as there are ONLY LEGAL MGBs allowed with the other makes towwing the line as well.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 16:27 (Ref:2037843)   #8
Steve Hill
Rookie

England
Buckinghamshire
Steve Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be more than happy to support this new idea, although I do enjoy racing with some of the bigger GD cars, I,m sure with a little canvassing that I could get 2-4 Elites out for next season, Bring it on !!
Old 11 Oct 2007, 18:05 (Ref:2037903)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
Now if anyone can point me towards a nice, cheap de Tomaso Valleunga.......

join the queue !!! I'm more likely to complete my mid engined MK1 Cortina than find/afford one
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:18 (Ref:2037960)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more I think about this series,the more I like it[as long as the bent cars are kept out]that is.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:20 (Ref:2037964)   #11
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under 2L would probably be just fine for anyone running a 1950cc MGB engine ... and also those of us pedalling along with a more modest 1840 or 1853cc!

A series of well organised, cost effective European races where the smaller cars wouldn't have to concern themselves with getting out of the way of the bigger cars should, I think, be quite popular. All depends upon how well things are organised.

However, unless strictly policed it would, of course, do nothing to solve the 'adherence to FIA Appendix K' issue for MGBs and Granturas.

(Green Grantura in Garage 4 at Spa last weekend)
Old 11 Oct 2007, 19:55 (Ref:2037995)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
any series that eliminates septic tanks is a winner with me !
Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:00 (Ref:2038003)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Welcome Rod,where did you hear about our little chat room.?
Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2038022)   #14
Steve Hill
Rookie

England
Buckinghamshire
Steve Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely the way forward would be the following checks at the beginning of the season
Engine Capacity
Weight
Dunlop 'L's
Correct wheel width and type
Then if someone is seen to run away from similar cars,a proper engine check and subsequent action.
Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2038025)   #15
begbier
Rookie

United Kingdom
begbier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been enjoying watching the lot of you chatter away like a bunch of old women for ages Terry! Couldn't resist chipping in ...
Old 11 Oct 2007, 20:38 (Ref:2038042)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
well it beats the WI surely . . . and I've had my hair done recently don't you know

cake anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbier
Been enjoying watching the lot of you chatter away like a bunch of old women for ages Terry! Couldn't resist chipping in ...
Old 11 Oct 2007, 23:49 (Ref:2038119)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was posted in another thread but we mustn't forget that Masters is invitational and they state that their policy is to maintain compliance to international regs. Thus the hookey cars issue is a priority for them.

These series do look good although I can't really comment on the Formula 1 & 2s. A part of me says that you shouldn't re-write history and thus the under 2l sportscars doesn't reflect the period races, but if, like U2TC, it gets more cars out then I can't complain.

The 70,s saloons is a bit different. The G2 cars will run on slicks whilst the G1 cars, as I understand it, will run on treaded Dunlops. I don't see to much of a problem especially as there won't be that many G2 cars in the UK rounds but circuits like Mallory may not be suitable, being too narrow to cope with the lappery.

Anyway, now I have good reason to get that last 40bhp out of my engine.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 05:01 (Ref:2038221)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Great idea.Anyone want works 2L B26 without any of Orwell go faster bits!
Wondered why lots of people interested in it before Spa
Suppose no replicas yet
Old 12 Oct 2007, 05:19 (Ref:2038224)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If only we had a "cynical" smiley.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 05:47 (Ref:2038229)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its not been a good day as I am told off the subject that us ex-pats are not being allowed travel days from 2008.Less visits .
Will not be doing Masters but been there before.
Flavian ands Vanessas series had 356's and all the other stuff running at Dijon and understand same type grid at Paul Ricard.They have proposed races in UK next year.
Notwithstanding anything else there are no prewar races on the full Masters days so mixture does not work for us.I realise that ,as with most things ,we are in minority
Old 12 Oct 2007, 06:25 (Ref:2038237)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbier
So now you can class yourself as one of us Rod.
Mock as much as you like,but the people who count do read our waffle!

Last edited by terence; 12 Oct 2007 at 06:29.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 06:34 (Ref:2038238)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
John.

Understood.

Will pm you later re the off topic stuff.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:07 (Ref:2038264)   #23
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The Group 2 thing is interesting but I think you may find you will be a little outclassed in your Group 1 spec car Peter even with 40bhp more, do you really want to cut that old girl about to be competitive as I think thats what you will have to do. Now maybe I can slip 454 all alloy CanAm engine in my yellow car and build a relpica of Frank Gardener's awesome machine of the period, ermmm definitely food for thought! Kick Ass Septic tanks forever Zef. ;-)
Old 12 Oct 2007, 09:30 (Ref:2038342)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No Al, if I want to build a group 2 car I will.

However the remaining 40bhp is legitimate Group 1 which will bring me into line with cars like Martin West, Alan Daffin etc. I have around 185 at the moment and whilst I can drive the nuts off it, I can't do anything about acceleration.

As I recall Group 1 cars ran with Group 2 cars in tyhe ETCC so its not so peculiar.
Old 12 Oct 2007, 11:00 (Ref:2038412)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Fair enough, just the way it read I thought you was thinking of modifing your car to Group 2 with all the appendages added on which I think would be a pity.