Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

View Poll Results: Was Jason's action in taking the place, wrong or right.
Wrong, in taking the place 104 83.87%
Right, in taking the place 20 16.13%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 Apr 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3061548)   #376
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Sheddon was off the racing line and on a defensive line, so he was bound to brake earlier in order to make the corner. It does not alter the facts, and does not give Plato an excuse for his actions.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3061627)   #377
Mark-e21
Rookie

Mark-e21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do find it odd that he likes infer that there is something wrong with defensive driving. I thought it was a skill? I thought that being able to place a slower car, in order to stop a faster car passing, was all part of racing and race craft? I guess it becomes pointless though, if all one needs to do is nerf the defensive driver off line in order to pass.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3061637)   #378
McArthur252
Rookie

United Kingdom
Manchester
McArthur252 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRkxp...feature=relmfu

the last time Plato tried his chicane move...
Old 18 Apr 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3061646)   #379
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neal brakes too early...
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3061702)   #380
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's absolutely nothing like what happened Sunday!

Agree on Neal braking too early tho. Big wuss.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3061706)   #381
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 23 Apr 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3064498)   #382
Hyde
Rookie

Hyde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just returned from overseas and iPlayed the races to date.

Having raced against both Plato and Matt I am afraid that it's time to lift their licences away. Gratuitous violence has no part in sport and particularly Jason's case, he should be banned for a season.

Anyone who has sat through many many driver's briefings listening to the CoC telling you that this is a "none contact sport" just fumes at the nonsense of "just a racing incident" decisions. Jason please go to stock car racing, it's more your scene!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:09 (Ref:3064834)   #383
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I have just returned from overseas and iPlayed the races to date.

Having raced against both Plato and Matt I am afraid that it's time to lift their licences away. Gratuitous violence has no part in sport and particularly Jason's case, he should be banned for a season.

Anyone who has sat through many many driver's briefings listening to the CoC telling you that this is a "none contact sport" just fumes at the nonsense of "just a racing incident" decisions. Jason please go to stock car racing, it's more your scene!
But when do we hear Dr.Jekyll's point if view?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3064839)   #384
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Plato's already had more than enough to say about this...
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3064840)   #385
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Whilst I also agree with Mr Hyde's post, I love your sense of humour - 10 - tenths at its finest.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 14:26 (Ref:3064924)   #386
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He's here all week, get your CD at the door.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3065036)   #387
alfa_155
Rookie

alfa_155 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say that I find Plato's driving to show moments of pure genius and his race craft is often spectacular, but he then ruins it when his massive ego takes over and he resorts to underhand and down right dirty driving, and his holier than thou interviews make my toes curl!

I also find it disappointing that his championship wins have either been taken via a dodgy move (remember Muller at Silverstone?) or his team mates have had to give places to help him. As far as I know he has never had a a championship where he has driven his way to the title on his own...

Its also interesting that most of the BTCC champions move on to the European stage but when Plato had the opportunity he blotted his copy book and has never been back.

The bloke is a menace and needs a proper sanction to curb his behaviour, but as long as Gow and ITV add fuel to the fire I'm afraid it wont stop until he kills or seriously injures himself or another competitor, and if we see one more shot of his dad, mum or wife as he's just about to overtake someone I swear that I will track down the producer of the show and ram a cone up his ****!!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3065056)   #388
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He has won a lot of races, in fact more than anyone else, so he must be doing something right
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3065069)   #389
alfa_155
Rookie

alfa_155 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
He has won a lot of races, in fact more than anyone else, so he must be doing something right
One of the reasons he's won so many races in the BTCC is that he has never moved on to bigger and better things...If you stay in something for long enough eventually you will get the longest attendance bonuses.

Also a lot of the wins were gifted by better team mates somewhere along the line...or given through the non application of a penalty when a dodgy move had occurred...

Last edited by alfa_155; 24 Apr 2012 at 18:36.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3065075)   #390
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The next round is Thruxton, right? It would be poetic justice if someone tipped him on the inside rear corner as he went into Church, and sent him barrel-rolling into the countryside.

What goes around, comes around, and if you are content to live by the sword, you can hardly complain if you find that fellow competitors are sharpening their cutlery as well.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3065080)   #391
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe the other drivers should have a little competition to see if they can nerf him just right to hit that marshal post in the middle of nowhere on the inside of Church.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3065086)   #392
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realise the BTCC lives on the excitement and mayhem, but when other series with the same mentality see drivers behaving the same way, they generally come down harder than Plato has recevied. Even NASCAR takes a harder line onpenalities for deliberately causing accidents, if not in terms of stopping them outright.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3065187)   #393
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Maybe the other drivers should have a little competition to see if they can nerf him just right to hit that marshal post in the middle of nowhere on the inside of Church.
Er... No thanks. It might be "in the middle of nowhere" but there will be people there on Sunday. By proposing such a move (even in jest) you're undermining your own joke.

Contact is unnecessary. Deliberate contact more so. Planned deliberate contact... well, you know. "Have at them, boys" didn't work very well did it?

Yep. Sense of humour failure here.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:41 (Ref:3065191)   #394
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
But now there are at least three BTCC races at every meeting it's no wonder he's won m ore than (say) Andy Rouse.
(It's like comparing chalk & cheese - totally incomparable...)
Old 24 Apr 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3065207)   #395
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
I've just read a Bejing Motor Show report on the AR Online website (a very interesting website dedicated to the historical & current British Motor Industry) where they describe a new series of 'Special Edition' cars:

The BTCC editions, designed to capitalise on the marque’s current Touring Car Championship Programme, feature bold graphics with contrasting stripes and large MG logos. A more aggressive front bumper and side skirts also suitably beef-up the exterior styling. RedLine is an additional package, which introduces red interior features (including seatbelts!) and stripes.

A more aggressive front bumper? How appropriate?
Old 25 Apr 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3065251)   #396
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Greem, fair comments, and it certainly shouldn't be suggested in any seriousness. Funnily enough the only real reason I mention that marshal post is because I once saw a certain Mr Haynes achieve the remarkable feat of hitting it when he went off in a Porsche Classic race!
Old 25 Apr 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3065303)   #397
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Marshals posts always make me think of Bruce McLaren - sorry for the downer......
Old 25 Apr 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3065407)   #398
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Marshals posts always make me think of Bruce McLaren - sorry for the downer......
It's not a downer... it's a serious point. Despite the evidential malice towards Plato, Neal etc... in regards to their interpretation of 'push to pass', you will not see them deliberately stuff somebody off at a place like Church. The consequences of an off there don't bear thinking about... and Plato and Neal are very aware of this.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 14:55 (Ref:3065435)   #399
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi View Post
I realise the BTCC lives on the excitement and mayhem, but when other series with the same mentality see drivers behaving the same way, they generally come down harder than Plato has recevied. Even NASCAR takes a harder line onpenalities for deliberately causing accidents, if not in terms of stopping them outright.
I'm not sure you can compare BTCC and NASCAR. NASCAR races happen at a much higher speed on a nominally more confined space and therefore so do any accidents, therefore the chances of injury are nominally higher.

Maybe that is why NASCAR officials are tougher on drivers that cause an incident.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3065441)   #400
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsportaddict View Post
I'm not sure you can compare BTCC and NASCAR. NASCAR races happen at a much higher speed on a nominally more confined space and therefore so do any accidents, therefore the chances of injury are nominally higher.

Maybe that is why NASCAR officials are tougher on drivers that cause an incident.
I think this post is attempting to apportion a certain level of danger to different types of racing. I find that difficult to assimilate because racing at whatever location is dangerous.

Either something causes damage (or injury) or it doesn't. We can't say that the driver of a car doing 35 mph in a 30 mph limit is safe just because he doesn't have an accident no more than we can say a driver doing 30 mph is safe for the same reason. The fact is, one is braking the rules (law) and one isn't.

In the case of the BTCC in general the drivers are breaking the rules by deliberately making contact with other cars, whether it be defensive or offensive.