Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jul 2004, 03:06 (Ref:1023218)   #1
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
test drivers

What do you make of current test drivers? Are these guys F1 material or "development drivers"? I know Marc Gene seemed to do a pretty good job the last time I saw him race, and now he has a chance to prove himself again. But will guys like Wurz or Badoer ever get a chance to race in a top team, without accidents? These guys seem to be good drivers, but there must some be a reason they haven't secured a racing seat. I am assuming they would rather race with Sauber, Jordan or even Minardi, rather than test for a top team.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1023473)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wurz and Badoer have both had opportunities to race for smaller teams, but have chosen to stay where they are.

Both are in teams who pay them highly and consider them key members of the team.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1023747)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At one point Wurz was seen as the next big thing, but he had 2 hge crashes in quick succession in 1998 and seemed to completely lose his racing sparkle. Considering that he's very tall and would take an effort to fit into most team's cars (as Coulthard is 6 foot tall it's not a problem at McLaren), he is probably better continuing behnd the scenes.

At Ferrari Badoer recieves a good wage, great status and respect, and a feeling of contributing to succcess. His alst racing campaign (1999 at Minardi) was probably the exact opposite).
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1023935)   #4
Tamás
Rookie

Tamás should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people think these test-drivers are not enough talented to get a seat at a top-team, but this is not the reality. A number of these drivers are young racers from other series e.g. international Formula-3000; they try to enter the formula one. They usually work for teams having a little budget. Old racers (de la Rosa) want to stay in the f1, but without competitions, or they didn't get jobs at other teams.

So the gifted driver's future is doubtful: Either they take part in formula one races but they drive only the worse cars, or they apply for a test-pilot-job to one of the top teams. I think this is the better way. Nick Heidfeld choosed the other one: and he isn't able to get a job at McLaren or Ferrari. But Burti works for Scuderia with the hope he will be lucky and can drive a Ferrari race car.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1023948)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Burti is not with Ferrari now - although he gets the occasional "freelance" test with them.

Luca Badoer has been number one tester at Ferrari for 5 years.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1024015)   #6
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion Badoer is one of the most talented and least heralded test drivers/developers out there. His contributions to the red team are not recognized enough. I don't even really like Ferrari but I highly regard Badoer. I would love to see him race.
Mike
Old 2 Jul 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1024020)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Badoer is good at the job he does, but if you watch him on track you can see he's not as precise with his lines as the top drivers are.

Every lap is slightly different.

But he's found his niche job and well done to him.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1024064)   #8
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Luca Badoer has been number one tester at Ferrari for 5 years.
Rather longer than that, surely? Hasn't Badoer been with the Scuderia since '97?
Old 2 Jul 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1024072)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep since 1997, IIRC he was loaned out to Minardi by Ferrari in '99.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 22:04 (Ref:1024125)   #10
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Badoer had been good enough (in Ferrari's eyes) in 99, why didn't they use him when Schu was out for some races? I think this proves that Badoer isn't good enough to race for them and thats why he is happy where he is!
Old 2 Jul 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1024137)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And that comes from someone that thinks that Martin Brundle is clueless...

Rrrrright...

They chose Salo because they knew Mika would be prepared to 'roll over and play dead' if it was deemed necessary.
Old 2 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1024140)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

They chose Salo because they had doubts about Luca's racing ability.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 00:18 (Ref:1025281)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man

They chose Salo because they knew Mika would be prepared to 'roll over and play dead' if it was deemed necessary.
Given that Badoer has been with Ferrari for so long, simply testing, i'm sure that he would 'roll over and play dead'...................

..................if it was deemed necessary.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1025823)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering that Salo only narrowly beat Luca (in the Minardi) at the Hungaroring (a track similar to Monaco, where Mika ahs a rgeat record), you have to say that was the wrong choice. Luca had proven his racing ability, they simply felt that if they brought Mika in, they would continue to have a good testing backup, and it wouldn't disturb his deal with Minardi. Luca ran Alboreto close as a rookie, which surely prove shis ability to some extent.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1026190)   #15
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They never promoted Luca because he is such an excellent developer. He logs amazing amounts of mileage for that team.
Few testers of that caliber, I think.
I wish he worked/raced for someone else.
Toyota should open that bottemless coffer and steal him.......
Mike
Old 5 Jul 2004, 02:09 (Ref:1026295)   #16
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ferrari chose Salo over Badoer as a Schu replacement in 1999 for pure "image" reasons. Remember that in that time Salo was considered a underrated driver and Badoer was only remembered by his lacklustre performances in smaller teams.