Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Sep 2012, 16:59 (Ref:3135469)   #2851
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
P1 isnt allowed next year , is it ?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3135474)   #2852
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
P1 isnt allowed next year , is it ?
P1 stays around for next year, the series merge only from the 2014 season onwards and that's when P1 will reportedly be dropped.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3135481)   #2853
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
AIUI the flybrid is pretty much plug-and-play by now... and Dyson really need to do something to close the gap to the HPD, so I wouldn't read too much into this for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I don't think Mazda has those kind of money.
Dyson has two races this season, plus 10-ish races next season against the HPD. As has been said, the Hybrid system is an attempt to close the gap to Pickett Racing. I also think that they may be trying to get the jump on HPD as the Honda family are big supporters of the hybrid concept.

I'm really proud of Dyson, in the face of no television exposure, virtually no outside sponsorship, and little more than token dollars from Mazda, not to mention all the insults they receive from jaded sports car fans, they continue to push the envelope technologically. Privateer hybrid systems have yet to prove their worth and Dyson is trying to take the lead with a plug-and-play Flybrid, they developed a one-of-a-kind steering wheel that is more ergonomically suitable for their drivers (buttons on the rear of the wheel so their drivers don't have to take a hand off the wheel to make adjustments). And of course they continue to run my favorite green-fuel, Isonutanol.

Dyson has raced DPs before, but they are ardent supporters of "hot rodding" and high technology. You can do neither in DP and when asked if he still owns any of the DPs the team has fielded Chris Dyson simply said "nope".

I expect Dyson, along with Pickett to campaign for a relevant, technologically forward-thinking and open prototype class in 2016 Grand-ALMS that will supplant the need for LMP1. I suspect the rules makers might even be able to compromise and if P2 is a part of the equation in 2014, pro drivers and more P1-like attitudes towards technology could be factored in.

And as has been said above, Dyson haven't shown much desire to race abroad. Furthermore, I think Chris is very interested in seeing American prototype racing grow back to (at least) the level it was at in GTP's high water mark.

Also as has been said above, Mazda doesn't have the money to go WEC racing, and certainly John Doonan's branch on its own wouldn't have the money. Quite frankly at the best of times Mazda was only good for organizing sponsorships with the likes of BP/Castrol, Modspace and the like. (Which was fantastic work for the small company as they had sponsors put their names on prototypes, GTs and events.) If the Mazda name remains on the AER four pot next year, I'd suspect Dyson would be receiving even less money from Mazda than the relative pittance they got this year.

Chris
Old 13 Sep 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3135488)   #2854
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I don't think Mazda has those kind of money.
Neither do I. I believe Mazda is pretty much hemorrhaging, and has been for some time now.

A real shame to hear about Honda. Would have loved to have seen them at Le Mans come 2014.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 17:45 (Ref:3135491)   #2855
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also as has been said above, Mazda doesn't have the money to go WEC racing, and certainly John Doonan's branch on its own wouldn't have the money. Quite frankly at the best of times Mazda was only good for organizing sponsorships with the likes of BP/Castrol, Modspace and the like. (Which was fantastic work for the small company as they had sponsors put their names on prototypes, GTs and events.) If the Mazda name remains on the AER four pot next year, I'd suspect Dyson would be receiving even less money from Mazda than the relative pittance they got this year.

Chris[/QUOTE]

You make some very good points. My post is rather redundant as I should have read yours. I think it's amazing Dyson even has the mazda name on his cars with the amount of support that he receives.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3135570)   #2856
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
What's the shame about Honda? Did I miss some big news item?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3135573)   #2857
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
What's the shame about Honda? Did I miss some big news item?
Don't seem to have the cash to step up to full works P1 as was being rumoured.

But will at least roll out the NSX GTE it seems.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3135628)   #2858
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there a prior announcement about the Dyson/Flybrid link, I don't remember hearing about it until this morning.

Winning what will be the last ALMS season and what may end up being the last LMP1 title in America would be nice to have.

In addition - doing it with hybrid power and using isobutanol would be making a good case for high tech cars using alternative fuel in the future of "the merger"...

Last edited by Livininthinair; 13 Sep 2012 at 21:52.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:54 (Ref:3135742)   #2859
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Don't seem to have the cash to step up to full works P1 as was being rumoured.

But will at least roll out the NSX GTE it seems.
Honda isn't pressed for cash. They don't want to spend cash is what the issue is. They aren't as big as Toyota or the VW group, but they're definitely capable of running in P1 if they wish to. I think there's more to it than not having money. Just like Peugeot. There P1 program wasn't sucking money from the company. They exited to 'save face'. It's a shame.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 06:37 (Ref:3135765)   #2860
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've met Japanese who work for Mazda, and they were quite surprised of the Dyson program. I guess Mazda Japan was kept in the dark about Dyson's efforts, good news or bad news.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3138988)   #2861
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they're buying a 2013 car and keeping the other 2012 car for -Am?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3139034)   #2862
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that there won't be GTE-Am class next year..
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:51 (Ref:3139048)   #2863
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
I thought that there won't be GTE-Am class next year..
That is correct. No changes to ALMS classes for next season.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3139071)   #2864
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that's news to me then, guess Black Swan probably won't want that Corvette then...
Old 20 Sep 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3139100)   #2865
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apparently Aston were also looking to do some business in the ALMS according to Nick Daman on Midweek Motorsport - all of which has now fallen through.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3139136)   #2866
DeathOrGlory
Racer

DeathOrGlory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it depended on Adrian Fernandez, but he left Aston Martin Racing, right?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3139140)   #2867
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
I guess it depended on Adrian Fernandez, but he left Aston Martin Racing, right?
It depended on them not wanting to race a car for one year in the ALMS with no specific details on what's going to happen in 2014.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3139151)   #2868
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
It depended on them not wanting to race a car for one year in the ALMS with no specific details on what's going to happen in 2014.
What, something other than the statements that the class is staying the same?

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3139165)   #2869
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
Apparently the deal went dead the second the merger was announced. Don't know whether talks will resume in light of this recent announcement.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3139173)   #2870
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently the deal went dead the second the merger was announced. Don't know whether talks will resume in light of this recent announcement.
The statement was made at the presser by S.Atherton with Ed Bennett sitting next to him shaking his head in confirmation and verbally confirmed by Ed France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSXK6PikhQ&t=46m45s

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3139177)   #2871
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The statement was made at the presser by S.Atherton with Ed Bennett sitting next to him shaking his head in confirmation and verbally confirmed by Ed France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSXK6PikhQ&t=46m45s

L.P.
Yeah but you can't tell me it's not potentially off-putting to look to commit to a series and then find out that series will only be around for one year longer. I am aware GTE will be retained going forward. It's still a voyage into the unknown.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3139182)   #2872
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
What is the point of running a car(s) for 1 year in a series in limbo, regardless of the class structure remaining the same?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3139183)   #2873
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Yeah but you can't tell me it's not potentially off-putting to look to commit to a series and then find out that series will only be around for one year longer. I am aware GTE will be retained going forward. It's still a voyage into the unknown.

What, the current health (pre merger) of the ALMS and ELMS was not 'a voyage into the unknown?

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3139186)   #2874
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
What is the point of running a car(s) for 1 year in a series in limbo, regardless of the class structure remaining the same?
So which is it? Limbo or remaining the same?

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3139188)   #2875
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Apparently Aston were also looking to do some business in the ALMS according to Nick Daman on Midweek Motorsport - all of which has now fallen through.
Actually, it hasn't. :-)

-mike