Old 9 Jan 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1497559)   #126
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsport
Chucky.......one comment you made confused me, on a National Formula Ford Championship level, Petit has never been blindingly quick, as you indicated.
In a National F3 level he was. His National Formula Ford efforts are mostly forgettabel as it was the usual no budget/old car scenario.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1497561)   #127
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
But if he went back say three times on the thrid time would he ever be able to totally dominate the event like Courtney did, or even get 2nd or 3rd agaisnt the latest hotshots say even after running in Europe with them? I really really don't think IMHO. But someone who especially dominate the other junior categories that's the sort of driver you want if Aus A1GP is to try and have a better shot at winning.
If he had of gone back the year after in a competitive deal, then yes, he would have easily mixed it with them. Also don't forget that his run at Macau was in the fifth car Carlin ran that weekend and all efforts were quite deliberately behind Mr. Sato.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1497562)   #128
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
The reason that I think any "really" top FF racers might generally be better than most of the leading F3 racers is that I think FF is mostly overall more competitive than F3 IMHO. The top bunch in F3 seem to a mixed bunch who tend to swap positions alot IMHO, eg. Will Power was genuinely dominant and went over to Europe and ran mostly inside the top 10 but these others who swapped positions alot mostly go over to Europe and run mostly outside the Top 10.
I think both championships are as competitive as each other. The top bunch swapping positions a lot is a very good inidcator of how competitive it is. One mistake and your yesterdays news.

The biggest problem with the top of the FFord grid is they are very good at driving FFords.............
Old 9 Jan 2006, 04:43 (Ref:1497621)   #129
Sequel
Racer

Sequel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find Carlin only ran 3 cars, and PH qualified 28th out of 30 cars, 5.7secs off the pace.

In the final results he was classified 7th out of 15 finishers. However if my memory serves me correctly, this was due to fact drivers who didn't finish the first race could not be classified in the second race.

Starting the first race from 28th, he missed the first lap carnage which took out 8 cars, and he finished that race 10th from 14 finishers. He therefore started the second race in 10th, from memory crossed the line 16th (ie. he went backwards!!), but in the final results was classified 7th due to the fact that 9 people in front of him didn't finish the first race.

So, although the fact he finished both races is an acomplishment, and he will go down in the record books as the 7th classified finisher of the 48th Macau GP, a little research shows that it was hardly a performance that would make him worthy of an A1GP drive. I think another 5 Macau's and he would still struggle to (legitimatly ie. on pace alone) finish in the top 10.

As for Petit - are you serious!?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 05:57 (Ref:1497633)   #130
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Another five macaus and he would be too old for anything!

What a fascinating concept of reality you have. If he started in 28th (which would make him 2nd last in macau's grid density) then he would have to have less than two cars behind him to have gone backwards. And yet he finished 10/15 and 16/21.

Macau is a crazy place and finishing both races (especially THAT year) is a big achievement. It is also the place that earned JC the dubious moniker of second biggest choke by an Australian sportsman of all time (right behind Greg Nroman).

And as for going back 5 times, you only do Macau once. That's it. Any more and your cheating!

I'm always serious, just like the tv channel.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1497637)   #131
Sequel
Racer

The backwards comment was only in relation to the second race where he started 10th and finished 16th on the road, therefore 6 cars passed him, he went backwards.

I agree with you that finishing any session at Macau is an achievement, but it does not make you any quicker than Davo/Jones/Bart...
Old 9 Jan 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1497638)   #132
Sequel
Racer

While we are looking at Macau results:

Hackett: Qual 28th of 30, 5.7 secs off the pace. Finished R1 10th of 15, R2 16th of 21. Classified 7th.

Jones, Qual 28th of 32, 4.7 secs off the pace. Finished R1 22nd of 25, R2 17th of 23. Classified 17th.

Reindler, Qual 17th of 30, 2.9 secs off the pace. Finished R1 17th of 27, R2 13th of 20. Classified 13th.

My money is on Reindler!
Old 9 Jan 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1497641)   #133
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
That was a pretty good run actually. Karl can also be real quick when he wants to be.
Old 9 Jan 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1498155)   #134
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Macau is a crazy place and finishing both races (especially THAT year) is a big achievement. It is also the place that earned JC the dubious moniker of second biggest choke by an Australian sportsman of all time (right behind Greg Nroman).
Don't know if you can label a puncture from debris as a "choke" .......
Old 13 Jan 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1500480)   #135
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequel
While we are looking at Macau results:

Hackett: Qual 28th of 30, 5.7 secs off the pace. Finished R1 10th of 15, R2 16th of 21. Classified 7th.

Jones, Qual 28th of 32, 4.7 secs off the pace. Finished R1 22nd of 25, R2 17th of 23. Classified 17th.

Reindler, Qual 17th of 30, 2.9 secs off the pace. Finished R1 17th of 27, R2 13th of 20. Classified 13th.

My money is on Reindler!
Yes Reindler did not bad, but none of those results were Earth-shattering so they won't be getting anywhere near F1 any time soon.

Hopefully they can find someone for tha A1 car with the sort of speed to at least run in the Top 10/ attack for the Top 5 in these sorts of high-level F3 events.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1500637)   #136
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Don't know if you can label a puncture from debris as a "choke" .......
I was thinking that, too. Here's a quote from the official Press Release at the time:

Frenchman Nicolas Lapierre won one of the most dramatic Macau Grands Prix for years on Sunday, after Japanese F3 champion James Courtney was left heartbroken when he crashed out of the lead with just four laps to go in the second and deciding race after suffering a puncture.

Courtney had stormed away from pole position and, after holding off intense pressure from fellow front-row starter Lapierre in the early stages, he appeared to be well on his way to a victory in the 50th running of the event. But on the 11th lap, as he held a lead of nearly two seconds, a stray piece of carbon fibre punctured one his tyres and he hit the barriers on the way out of the Melco Hairpin. The crash ripped off the right-front suspension and his race was over.

It's very hard to make an error on the way out of Melco Hairpin unless there is some unforeseen factor. Interesting that the guy who inherited the win was Nicolas Lapierre - says something about Courtney's ability, doesn't it?

Getting back to topic, from the drivers I've seen, I'd say the best bets were Ryan Briscoe, Courtney and then Will Power, but they're all committed elsewhere, which makes it tough.

Will Davison's okay on his day, but it might be worth giving someone else a shot. Maybe Karl Reindler or Barton Mawer as others have suggested.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 03:46 (Ref:1500989)   #137
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Bring back Bart!

Bring back Bart!

Bring back Bart!

Bring back Bart!

Another point of interest. To date neither JC or RB have been contacted by Team Oz for a drive.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1501384)   #138
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Bryan @ Laguna?

Everyone else can just go home.
I doubt that...Bryan has long had his time....the Rahal/CART days were over years ago. Yes, he WAS quick back then, but the level of competition is also far more intense in A1GP currently.

Old 14 Jan 2006, 23:56 (Ref:1501408)   #139
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
but im sure herta will be pretty much on the pace at laguna , he knows the track very well and I think he has a great shot at a podium.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1501552)   #140
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky

Another point of interest. To date neither JC or RB have been contacted by Team Oz for a drive.
According to MN, RB has been contacted by Team Aus.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1501973)   #141
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Well. they'd know, wouldn't they?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 06:11 (Ref:1502096)   #142
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A respected National publication with a good track record, why wouldnt they know ?
Old 16 Jan 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1502119)   #143
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1502718)   #144
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
They know what they get told. E' vero?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:24 (Ref:1503418)   #145
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marcus Marshall has now been linked to the seat.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1503441)   #146
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
So it's become money driven then?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1505152)   #147
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what about Christian?
Old 20 Jan 2006, 23:43 (Ref:1505644)   #148
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
What about Christian?
Old 21 Jan 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1505753)   #149
D.R.T.
Veteran

He will be running a car in this years Aus F3 Championship.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 22:59 (Ref:1506332)   #150
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what is Christian Murchinsion (spelling ) up to these day