Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:28 (Ref:2058997)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just having an optic over at V8Kindergarden and a couple of members? reckon the parity trigger went off this weekend. Anyone in the know?
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:47 (Ref:2059004)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8SC Operations Manual
D 16 PARITY
D 16.1
There will be a parity system that will automatically identify any disparity between the various makes and models of Cars competing in the Championship. This system will also identify the magnitude of any disparity and provide a process where changes to the specification of the Cars required to address the disparity, can be identified.

D 16.2
The TEGA Board will annually appoint the TEGA Parity Committee who will undertake Parity reviews after each round of the VCS. They will report their findings following the guidelines set by the TEGA Board, which will be advised to the Teams from time to time.
That's very helpful isnt it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:54 (Ref:2059008)   #3
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
That's very helpful isnt it
About as clear as HRT's ownership.
It used to be fully automated but now they've got humans involved
Old 4 Nov 2007, 01:57 (Ref:2059009)   #4
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems there would not need to be a review if Holden drivers didnt run into each other like Ford drivers used to!
Old 4 Nov 2007, 02:26 (Ref:2059024)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parity System - Terms Of Reference 2003
This document details a parity system that would automatically identify any disparity between the various makes and models of cars competing in the VCS.

This system will also identify the magnitude of any disparity and provide a process where the changes to the specification of the cars required to address the disparity, can be identified. The system is based on an automatic analysis of lap times, directly from the AVESCO timing system after each round.

For all events, the fastest 20 laps, of the fastest 5 cars or the fastest 80% of cars (whichever is the lesser number) of each make and each model are averaged for all races of that round. This will give an overall lap time for each make / model which is used to determine the difference in performance for that round.

The difference between the overall lap times for each make / model is then adjusted to express the difference in overall lap times for each make / model based on a standard 60 second lap time for the faster make / model.

An independent three-person parity committee (TEGA Parity Committee) then review the results of these calculations at the conclusion of each round of the VCS. The adjusted overall lap times would be used to identify any trends in the relative performance between the makes / models from round to round.

The TEGA Parity Committee may, at its absolute discretion, decide not to include one or more races in these calculations due to adverse conditions being experienced e.g. changes in weather conditions, an excessive number of safety car laps etc.

A parity adjustment may be triggered if there is an adjusted lap time difference, in favour or against a particular make / model, of more than 0.095 seconds (rounded to 3 decimal places). TEGA Parity Committee will evaluate this trigger point for its suitability on an ongoing basis and make recommendations to the Chairman of the TEGA Board accordingly.

At all times, the information relating to the calculations detailed above will remain confidential to the TEGA Parity Committee. Once the conditions to trigger a parity adjustment have been met, the TEGA Parity Committee are required to inform the Chairman of the TEGA Board who, following discussions with the TEGA Board, may instruct the TEGA Technical Manager to make a recommendation as to a change in specification of the cars to address the parity imbalance. The Technical Manager may address the issue in conjunction with the Technical Committee.

The Technical Manager is required to present this recommendation to the TEGA Board. The TEGA Board are required to consider this recommendation and if deemed necessary, make the necessary change/s to the rules.

Once a change to the specifications of a make / model is made as a result of a parity adjustment, no further change will be made to that make/model for at least the next 3 rounds of the VCS, unless decided otherwise by the TEGA Parity Committee.

Notes To Assist the Parity Review
Any car that has been deemed ineligible by the Stewards, at the time the TEGA Parity Committee must inform the Chairman of the TEGA Board that a parity adjustment has been triggered, regardless of any appeals that have been lodged, will not have its lap times included in any of the calculations and will be replaced by the next fastest car of the relevant make / model.

The Technical Manager may request that an AVESCO test day be arranged so the effects of any proposed change in specification can be evaluated. This request would be subject to the approval of, and conditions specified by, the General Manager of TEGA. At all times, any such testing will not alter the timing of the operation of this parity system.

Timing Of A Parity Review
The following timetable establishes the deadlines for each step of the parity system.
* The TEGA Parity Committee should review the results of the lap time analysis by the close of business (COB) on the Tuesday immediately following each round of the VCS.
* The TEGA Parity Committee should report the current status of the parity system to the
Chairman of the TEGA Board by the COB on the Wednesday immediately following a round of the VCS.
* The Chairman of the TEGA Board should instruct the TEGA Technical Manager to make a recommendation with regard to a change in specification of the cars to address the parity imbalance. This recommendation must be received by the close of business five
working days after notification received from the Chairman of the TEGA Board.
* All teams should be informed of the change of specification of the cars, and the timing of the introduction of that change as a result of the parity adjustment, by the close of business on the Thursday, 11 days after the completion of the round of the VCS when the conditions to trigger a parity adjustment were met.
* All teams should be informed of any change to the specification of the cars as a result of a parity adjustment, no less than 7 days prior to the commencement of any subsequent round of the VCS.

Lap Time Calculations
The following procedure would be followed to determine the adjusted lap time difference for each make / model to form the basis of any parity adjustment.
Step 1 - Calculate the average of the 20 fastest laps for each car for each race at a round.
Step 2 - Calculate the average of the 5 fastest results or fastest 80% of cars of each make and model (whichever is the lesser number of cars) achieved in step 1 for each make / model for each race.
Step 3 - Calculate the average of the results achieved in step 2 for each make / model for all races at each round.
Step 4 - Calculate the difference in the results achieved in step 3.
Step 5 - Adjust the results from step 3 to express the difference in average lap times for each make / model based on a lap time of 60 seconds.

Parity System – K O’Reilly - 7 May 2003
An oldie but a goodie
Old 4 Nov 2007, 02:42 (Ref:2059029)   #6
Luke Plaizier
Rookie

Luke Plaizier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'At all times, the information relating to the calculations detailed above will remain confidential to the TEGA Parity Committee.'

The red mist stirs within me.......

Do they have something to hide? Do they think they'll get it wrong? Is there another magic ingredient that they don't want us to know about?

Lukeyson
Old 4 Nov 2007, 02:52 (Ref:2059033)   #7
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That document is over 4 years old - was there not a change made to the formula used, at some time in the last year or so? Still an interesting read....

Also the timings mentioned at the end seem interesting - that would mean that any change to be made as a result of the Bahrain results, would need to be notified to the teams by the Friday at Symmons Plains, and would not come into effect until PI. Is there a mechanism to allow this change to be revoked if the results of the Tassie round do not back up the Bahrain conclusion?

Last edited by Rombles1; 4 Nov 2007 at 02:54.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 03:15 (Ref:2059038)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The document is as old as the argument...

But based on the maths... if a change was to be made, in theory it will not be enacted this year...

What will have slanted the result at Bahrain is Mr Winterbottom being 0.6s (R1) and 0.9s (R2) quicker per lap than any other car in the field.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 06:10 (Ref:2059072)   #9
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any review this year would almost certainly hand the title to Tander/R.Kelly/HSV as the fastest Ford that would trigger the adjustment has no chance of winning the championship. It would simply put Lowndes and Whincup out of the race.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 06:21 (Ref:2059077)   #10
Luke Plaizier
Rookie

The cynic in me is thinking that they'll do their best to get a parity change for the last race of the season, just for the sensationalist headlines.

Lukeyson
Old 4 Nov 2007, 06:22 (Ref:2059078)   #11
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cannot believe we are still talking about parity?

At any given race this year there have been individual cars and drivers who have simply been better than everyone else.

This round Frosty had speed to burn, but I'm sure it's not because his parity is better than everyone else's FFS.

It's typical of some people around here to whinge and cry if the brand they don't follow is winnning.

If your team isn't winning, IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF A LACK OF PARITY.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 08:34 (Ref:2059133)   #12
Luke Plaizier
Rookie

It's always funny to see people having a whinge and cry about other people that are having a whinge and cry.

To be honest, I am actually quite curious to see the first invocation of the parity rule mid-season since it was first introduced, even if my 'brand' is the one at the short end of the rule. But then we should be used to that by now shouldn't we!

The chill pills are on me.

Lukeyson
Old 4 Nov 2007, 09:16 (Ref:2059159)   #13
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
considering the top 4 in championship is made up of 2 holdens and 2 ford i think the parity is working.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 10:13 (Ref:2059192)   #14
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
considering the top 4 in championship is made up of 2 holdens and 2 ford i think the parity is working.
Don't look at the top 10 then.... 3 Holdens vs 7 Fords.

But just for the record, despite being a Holden man I don't support a parity adjustment.

('bout time we did something to slow down those Walkinshaw cheats though, eh Deeks6? I think you need a new soapbox for your sig. Funny that Garth and Rick both jumped on the brakes at that spot to let Frosty fly past like that at the end of lap 1, eh?)
Old 4 Nov 2007, 10:47 (Ref:2059204)   #15
stmorri
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1

But just for the record, despite being a Holden man I don't support a parity adjustment.
Hasn't the argument always been, that if 3 holdens are capable of doing it, so are the rest. They just have to get their act together.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 10:57 (Ref:2059211)   #16
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmorri
Hasn't the argument always been, that if 3 holdens are capable of doing it, so are the rest. They just have to get their act together.
Precisely. Whether you consider it good or bad that there are so many competitive Fords wil depend purely on which side of the fence you are on.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2059219)   #17
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think we need a parity adjustment either. It's just a case that there's stronger Ford teams than Holden atm.

After HSV/HRT, the red camp just don't have any outright contenders. Compare this with FPR, 888, SBR, DJR... and you get a clearer picture of why Ford are more competitive.

It's just lucky for the Holden fans that the HSV/HRT machines are usually in front of the fastest Fords.

On this note, I would like to thank the usual Ford whinger's (like deeks6) for giving the officials good reason to look seriously at the current parity policy.

Like I keep saying, be careful what you wish for Ford fans!!!
Old 4 Nov 2007, 11:22 (Ref:2059222)   #18
stmorri
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's another point......the Ford fans didn't get what they wished for......so neither should holden.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2059229)   #19
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
That's another point......the Ford fans didn't get what they wished for......so neither should holden.
Yes but your collective wish was for Holdens to be slowed because one garage had won 13/14 races. That's not what the parity argument is about - it's really more technical than that! You mask the argument by using the brand name in your argument (like in your statement above) and ignore the fact that it's the usual gun team flying the flag for Holden.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 11:45 (Ref:2059231)   #20
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
Funny that, here we are, now 19 posts into this thread, and we are yet to get a Holden fan saying that yes, we need a parity adjustment.

Just need to work harder.

edit ok make that 20 posts, SSbaby got in while I was typing this! And even that post doesn't seem to say that we need an adjustment. I think.

Last edited by Rombles1; 4 Nov 2007 at 11:48.
Old 4 Nov 2007, 13:48 (Ref:2059287)   #21
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Holden have won 21 races and Ford only 10 so maybe they need an adjustment to bring them up to the Holden's level.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 02:49 (Ref:2059756)   #22
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you parity the drivers' brains ??

Thats been the big difference this year - Driver Errors.

Followed by mechanical issues.

No need for Parity discussions IMHO.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 03:59 (Ref:2059778)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
I don't think we need a parity adjustment either. It's just a case that there's stronger Ford teams than Holden atm.

After HSV/HRT, the red camp just don't have any outright contenders. Compare this with FPR, 888, SBR, DJR... and you get a clearer picture of why Ford are more competitive.

It's just lucky for the Holden fans that the HSV/HRT machines are usually in front of the fastest Fords.

On this note, I would like to thank the usual Ford whinger's (like deeks6) for giving the officials good reason to look seriously at the current parity policy.

What you need to do is PAY ATTENTION ... deeks has NOT asked for parity adjustments in 2007 AT ALL. What I have said is that HRT/HSV have a clear HP advantage over the field but that it would have repercussions for tyres and fuel. This was proven correct in the enduros.

As far as the sprint orunds go, they will probably still win them (provided that they don't keep bashing each other off the track) ... we can only hope.

BTW, what happened to your "Steven Johnson will cave in" prediction ???
Old 5 Nov 2007, 03:59 (Ref:2059780)   #24
vicecityrocker
Rookie

vicecityrocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we should also be looking at the parity between the Holden teams. How can one "garage" be so much more dominant than the other teams of the same marque? At Ford we have seen several technical "partnerships", eg SBR engines, Triple 8 components etc that tend to be an equalising factor, and apart from FPR who don't use any of these components but seem to have thier own combination right. I've heard a lot of the "average" holden teams are more than a little suspicious about the walkinshaw 4, and some of the little tricks they might have in thier arsenal. Will be interesting to see how competitive BJR is next year once they get some help from the walkinshaw group.

That's just my two rambling cents worth.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2059981)   #25
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicecityrocker
Maybe we should also be looking at the parity between the Holden teams. How can one "garage" be so much more dominant than the other teams of the same marque? At Ford we have seen several technical "partnerships", eg SBR engines, Triple 8 components etc that tend to be an equalising factor, and apart from FPR who don't use any of these components but seem to have thier own combination right. I've heard a lot of the "average" holden teams are more than a little suspicious about the walkinshaw 4, and some of the little tricks they might have in thier arsenal. Will be interesting to see how competitive BJR is next year once they get some help from the walkinshaw group.

That's just my two rambling cents worth.
Yeah, great post! Let's just ban Walkinshaw performance based on 'what you've heard'. Maybe the other Holden teams will be a lot quicker if we ban 2 teams?

Your post must be the most stupid I've read so far this year.