Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3333601)   #3026
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the budget and engineering experience of VAG on tap, I am sure Porsche "could" have opted for turbine power, or rockets, or anything else. I would imagine that VAG wanted to showcase two different technologies, and that Porsche wanted to stick with the petrol power it uses across its line, but as for options ...
Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3333602)   #3027
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I think the Paul Ricard test video lowered the chances of that to very low.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3333608)   #3028
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I know that this is "silly" at first sight and totally inconsistent with the "official" announcements made so far by Porsche representatives, but I am hearing (again and again...) that Porsche "could" have opted for diesel power...

I sincerely doubt that this is the case. If this "rumour" is true, however, this would definitely surprise a few...

Don't shoot me, I am just raising the silly-or-not-so-silly question again
If that were true then it would go against the wishes of Mr. Piech.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3333616)   #3029
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't sound like a diesel in any video I've seen.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3333670)   #3030
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When the mystery of the engine is eventually resolved, what will we talk about next!

Seriously, I am somewhat expecting that beyond the unknown configuration (straight, vee, gas, diesel, displacement, etc.), I wonder if they have some other unique feature (something that runs counter to conventional thinking) up their sleeve?

Richard
Old 19 Nov 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3333801)   #3031
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
but I am hearing (again and again...) that Porsche "could" have opted for diesel power...
Hey , that's blasphemy !!!

Who is saying that its a diesel ? its a small 4L engine ..... with what I hear has 2 separate recovery systems , 1 on braking and 1 linked somehow to the turbo's .

Last edited by joeb; 20 Nov 2013 at 02:53.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3333826)   #3032
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A video of the Porsche LMP1 at Paul Ricard
Unfortunately that link doesn't work anymore.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3334027)   #3033
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Unfortunately that link doesn't work anymore.
Fortunately I saved it:
Old 20 Nov 2013, 04:49 (Ref:3334058)   #3034
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Was that a BOV? Sweet!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3334137)   #3035
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Yep, "give a little whistle" said Jiminy Cricket.
Old 20 Nov 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3334221)   #3036
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Fortunately I saved it:
Terrific. Thanks a lot for that. I love a whistle too!
Old 20 Nov 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3334383)   #3037
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Fortunately I saved it:
Cool, thanks. It's certainly an interesting sounding engine.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3335368)   #3038
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet but apparently they burnt a car to the ground at the Ricard test. Hindy cites multiple sources.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3335371)   #3039
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Tesla's suffering from fires lately too. Hope the Porsche fire doesn't have anything to do with the hybrid systems.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 04:47 (Ref:3335504)   #3040
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet but apparently they burnt a car to the ground at the Ricard test. Hindy cites multiple sources.
I heard that it caught fire in at least two occasions. It apparently gets pretty hot at the back. That it actually burned to the ground is news to me.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3335539)   #3041
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think the reports of cars self combusting are a little worrying lets hope they have not made an error in the designed and sort it out before racing it in anger
Old 23 Nov 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3335596)   #3042
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if this has to do with the energy recovery system on the exhaust side?
Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3335619)   #3043
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
If its gonta sound like that , I'd burn it to the ground too !!!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3335631)   #3044
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
If its gonta sound like that , I'd burn it to the ground too !!!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3335814)   #3045
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I think the reports of cars self combusting are a little worrying lets hope they have not made an error in the designed and sort it out before racing it in anger
I quite like the idea that someone pushes the design envelope so failures happen. It makes for a more spectacular car and interesting races. If we end up with a magnificently fast but potentially unreliable Porsche going up against a bullet proof but somewhat slower Audi and Toyota somewhere in the middle we're surely in for an utterly absorbing 2014.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3335842)   #3046
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worring though since Porsche never made a hybrid system in house before but all of a sudden they are trying to do so. Thinking there might be problem with oil pipes I suppose... or the same reason as a R8 V12 TDi burnt down at the Nordschleife
Old 24 Nov 2013, 05:56 (Ref:3335893)   #3047
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting report about Porsche's return... http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/sp...ng_986147.html
Old 24 Nov 2013, 13:35 (Ref:3336003)   #3048
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
Worring though since Porsche never made a hybrid system in house before but all of a sudden they are trying to do so. Thinking there might be problem with oil pipes I suppose... or the same reason as a R8 V12 TDi burnt down at the Nordschleife
Old 24 Nov 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3336014)   #3049
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
So, it would indeed seem that one Porsche LMP1 car did "burn to the ground" during the latest tests at Paul Ricard. The damage sustained and/or the cause was/were apparently severe enough to force Porsche to cancel their planed endurance test at Sebring. I do wonder if this was the only chassis available for testing or whether Porsche have a backup chassis that they can still use for testing purposes.

This is not good news for Porsche and their preparation does not seem to run very smoothly, but they are likely working flat out to solve the issue(s).

One has to admit that Porsche are relatively good at hiding the whole story from the media as hardly anything has transpired except for Hindy's brief comment during the latest episode of Midweek Motorsport. Thanks Hindy and Canada ALMS fan for pointing this out
Old 24 Nov 2013, 17:45 (Ref:3336064)   #3050
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Interesting report about Porsche's return... http://www.moneycontrol.com/video/sp...ng_986147.html
Same event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZKGDNHJlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKGpIjMfX0