Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Jan 2014, 22:23 (Ref:3358260)   #3376
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Cripes, does sound like the V4 has bitten them on the backside

I think there is some misunderstanding of the type of turbos used by Audi and Porsche.........they are both the same.......just like used in F1......there is a motor-generator unit coupled to the compressor side of the turbos shaft, which can generate small amounts of power in steady-state operation, plus as a form of anti-lag the motor-generator can also spin the turbo-shaft up to an operating speed........but otherwise both are primarily powered by the exhaust gas as per a traditional turbo.
So basically a MGU-H/ERS is a turbo with a electric engine. When accelerating the electric engine spins the compressor and then the exhaust makes it job, when decelerating the engine acts as a generator.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 23:23 (Ref:3358281)   #3377
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Gents, the best live timing link is:

Oops. Blatant misspost. Was a question for the Daytona thread. My bad.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3358349)   #3378
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Webber interview:

http://www.markwebber.com/on-the-tra...ber-qa-season/

Quote:
The first time you’ve been in the car was in December, how did you feel?

MW: “I was really pleasantly surprised. I went in there keeping my expectations low in terms of what the car might feel like. It’s a lot heavier than an F1 car and very light on downforce so I thought perhaps the car wouldn’t respond that well compared to what I’ve been used to. So I was really surprised, I knew within five or six laps that I was enjoying what I was doing which was great. I had Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish in my ears because they’ve been telling me for quite a few years that if I was thinking of making the shift to sports cars, they were still very nice cars to drive. I believed them but it’s not until you actually do it yourself that you find out just how nice they are. I hadn’t driven one since 1999.

“I did my first test on a circuit in Portugal which I hadn’t been to before, and it was a beautiful circuit to drive the car for the first time. It was very responsive and predictable. It’s nice to be back on the Michelin tyres too; I had a good feeling on them. It was the first test and obviously there is still work to do, you never stop learning but it was a nice start and I left there buzzing which was great.”
EI thinks the final presentation will be held at Geneva Auto Show (March 6-16):

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/un-...he-919-hybrid/

Last edited by deggis; 25 Jan 2014 at 06:53.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3358350)   #3379
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML View Post
According to motorsport-total.com, Porsche had suffered drastic problems with the V4 until the end of last year. The engine had generated heavy vibrations that lead to damage on the car. This behavior came up on the track and was not visible on the dyno before. They had to do "comprehensive modifications" of the engine's insides.

Apart from that, there was not only the vehicle fire but also several other accidents on tracks.
They had used the wind tunnel of Dallara in italy and shifted to a "commercial wind tunnel in Great Britain", probably to the one in South Hampton.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...-14011708.html
Old 25 Jan 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3358360)   #3380
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Seems like Webber didnt think these cars were as good as they really are. Liked that little comment about the tires as well.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3358368)   #3381
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
So basically a MGU-H/ERS is a turbo with a electric engine. When accelerating the electric engine spins the compressor and then the exhaust makes it job, when decelerating the engine acts as a generator.
Electric turbo-compounding would seem to be the obvious solution to recover energy from the exhaust gases, but this is not the only available or possible solution. Energy recovery could in theory be recovered by way of a thermoelectric conversion system, or thermoelectric generator ("TEG"). I would however be surprised if Porsche have opted for such a solution.
Old 25 Jan 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3358371)   #3382
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Electric turbo-compounding would seem to be the obvious solution to recover energy from the exhaust gases, but this is not the only available or possible solution. Energy recovery could in theory be recovered by way of a thermoelectric conversion system, or thermoelectric generator ("TEG"). I would however be surprised if Porsche have opted for such a solution.
It would also be surprised if someone follows that path. Those solutions are very inefficient. They are used by NASA on missions beyond Jupiter, the heat source is Plutonium 238, and wants to move to a Stirling engine for better results.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 02:48 (Ref:3362794)   #3383
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3JpT6-ftn8

Pit stop practice
Old 1 Feb 2014, 05:07 (Ref:3362812)   #3384
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post
Geez you'd be expecting them to be faster then that when changing tires. When you look at Audi and Toyota they are so much faster, watching the Porsche guys is like watching them in slo mo..........
Old 1 Feb 2014, 05:30 (Ref:3362815)   #3385
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Consistency; no mistakes; speed will follow.

jimclark
Old 1 Feb 2014, 05:32 (Ref:3362816)   #3386
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Consistency; no mistakes; speed will follow.
You missed his joke... the video is in slow motion.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 1 Feb 2014, 05:35 (Ref:3362817)   #3387
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Oooohhhh.....

jimclark
Old 1 Feb 2014, 07:29 (Ref:3362835)   #3388
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Old 7 Feb 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3365243)   #3389
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche have announced Schaeffler Group and Veltins brewery as official partners for the works team.

The Schaeffler group logo will be in the rear wing of both 919's. Also A123 Systems are a technology partner.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3365248)   #3390
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Veltins Brewery ??? How will they get around anti-liquor-advertising laws?

"The premium beers of the brewery with a longstanding tradition from Meschede-Grevenstein in Germany will be on offer in the team and brand hospitality."

Ah, I see .... no stickers on the car, but a lot of mention of the name when the rich guests grab a cold one at the hospitality tent.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 12:55 (Ref:3365249)   #3391
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silently pouring Veltins to anyone within range I imagine.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:39 (Ref:3365306)   #3392
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shh!....Don't mention the beer. I did once, but I think I got away with it.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3365310)   #3393
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Porsche have announced Schaeffler Group and Veltins brewery as official partners for the works team.

The Schaeffler group logo will be in the rear wing of both 919's. Also A123 Systems are a technology partner.
Not doubting you, do you have a link? I've been searching the www to pass info on to a friend, and what I find is Veltins continued support of Supercup. Thanks in advance.

Old 7 Feb 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3365313)   #3394
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here you go: http://www.endurance-info.com/en/por...shed-partners/
Old 7 Feb 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3365316)   #3395
Breitling24
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Thank you, sir.

Old 7 Feb 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3365323)   #3396
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Germans like their beers and Porsche had no reluctancy to show it on their last prototype (LMGTP) cars...

Last edited by Coach Ep; 7 Feb 2014 at 15:33.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3365327)   #3397
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Guess that kind of blows Martini rumours out of the water.
Old 7 Feb 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3365329)   #3398
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then the livery won't be that different in colors than this:
Old 7 Feb 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3365333)   #3399
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Guess that kind of blows Martini rumours out of the water.
Yep but those colours will most probably be in F1 with the Williams team this year....
Old 7 Feb 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3365338)   #3400
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for alcohol....isn't the ad and name of tequila showing everywhere in ALMS?