Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 12 Jun 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3419193)   #4376
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I'm not 100% convinced yet that Porsche will go for pole. I understand the " going of pole" argument , but there is also another that argues that they "need" to get the cars to the end in order to preserve the "Porsche reliability" image. I just don't see them trying to lead the race from the start.
We will have to wait and see.
There is no need to run all out in Q. I'm sure this is a multi year effort and the first appearance at Le Mans is probably thought of as an opportunity to gain the experience and maybe, just maybe challenge for the win.
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3419195)   #4377
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not 100% convinced yet that Porsche will go for pole. I understand the " going of pole" argument , but there is also another that argues that they "need" to get the cars to the end in order to preserve the "Porsche reliability" image. I just don't see them trying to lead the race from the start.
But that video you posted suggest that Porsche will fight for pole in both LMP1 and GTE (Tandy and Bernhard quotes). What a banner day that would be. I don't see how going for Pole conflicts with the need to get to the end
Old 12 Jun 2014, 13:53 (Ref:3419215)   #4378
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With respect to the prototypes, they clearly will give it a go (pole), but not to the point of risking all. I read in another thread that Porsche plans to limit running in the remaining Q sessions to keep the equipment health. I suspect that if the track proves to be quicker than yesterday they will push a bit, but if not, they will not push.

Richard
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:29 (Ref:3419243)   #4379
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular

I guess this confirms it.

Quote:
Porsche LMP1 vice president Fritz Enzinger said: "Absolutely we are going to go for pole.

"We know the race is going to be very tough for us in our first year back, so it is important to have a good qualifying."
Old 12 Jun 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3419261)   #4380
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Nice video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOR9AzU1_gY
Old 13 Jun 2014, 05:26 (Ref:3419738)   #4381
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little disappointed. If the objective was indeed to get pole then they failed. Porsche themselves recognize that it is going to be a "difficult" race for them, so there is a strong possibility that they will be 0 for 2 in the objectives stakes.
May 2015 be a much better year for them.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 06:23 (Ref:3419748)   #4382
Articus
Veteran

Yeah well a lot of uncontrollable circumstances. Traffic wasn't easing up until the last hour as many teams called it a night. At around 45 minutes they decided to practice slow 60 as the 90 car had gone off again but they kept it out longer than necessary for the practice. With about 25 minutes remaining Chandhok decided to have an off which ended the session. Should they have put in a banker earlier, you could argue they sort of did with the 3.23 but we were all just expecting the runs to come right at the end.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3419801)   #4383
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
When there was about 10 mins left and it was announced 60 will stay till the end, the expressions in the Porsche box seemed frustrated.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 08:56 (Ref:3419817)   #4384
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.cams.com.au/media/news/la...-mans-24-hours
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3419821)   #4385
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A little disappointed. If the objective was indeed to get pole then they failed. Porsche themselves recognize that it is going to be a "difficult" race for them, so there is a strong possibility that they will be 0 for 2 in the objectives stakes.
May 2015 be a much better year for them.
If I remember correctly, both Porsche cars stayed in the pits for almost the whole of the last qualifying - compared to Audi and especially Toyota, who did exactly the opposite. In the last 20 minutes, they suddenly went out on the track but due to the slow zone, the whole thing was over. At least Jani said that it was the idea to fully attack in the last couple of minutes.

I don't know how someone can be disappointed with a 2-4 (maybe expect Porsche themselves). They may won't reach a "2/2" in terms of qualifiying and race win, but they still could do a big 3/3 - one for doing a good race, one for beating a well-established competitor and one for landing on the podium. It will be quite hard to achieve that, but how can you say "may 2015 a much better year for them" if this whole damn thing hasn't even started yet? Yeah, maybe both cars will be out after 3 or 4 hours, maybe not... But in my opinion it is a bit early to write off "Mission 2014" just because our friend Karun Chandhok decided to kiss the wall in the last part of the qualifying

If something is disappointing for Porsche, then it is the result in GTE Pro.

edit: I'm not saying this because I am a Porsche fan, but from what we have seen so far (2 WEC races and the qualifying yesterday), Porsche is not doing that bad.

Last edited by FxL; 13 Jun 2014 at 09:19.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3419824)   #4386
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
My apologies. I'm a Porsche fan. I like to see them win. I get disappointed when they don't. Now I'm off to go play in the traffic.

Oh! GTE is dead to me. Obsessive BoP took care of that.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3419830)   #4387
FxL
Rookie

FxL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
My apologies. I'm a Porsche fan. I like to see them win. I get disappointed when they don't.
There isn't any reason for you to apologize, I want to see them winning as well. All I wanted to say above it that in my opinion their comeback can still be succesful without getting P1. It's just their first year / third race after 16 years. Maybe the marketing campaign created some high expectations, but Audi and Toyota aren't new to the game as well.

Last edited by FxL; 13 Jun 2014 at 09:38.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3419842)   #4388
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Porsche came to this year's Le Mans with some objectives. Winning is certainly NOT one of them. Obtaining pole was one (apparently) and the other is to get at least 1 car to the finish. It was in this context that I made my comments.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3419893)   #4389
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Porsche came to this year's Le Mans with some objectives. Winning is certainly NOT one of them. Obtaining pole was one (apparently) and the other is to get at least 1 car to the finish. It was in this context that I made my comments.
Thanks for that article Spyderman. You never know, they are some clever folks at Porsche. When Toyota came back in 2012 were off of pole by 1 second and didn't finish half the race. Not that their expectations for their first year back at Le Mans was the same as Porsches.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3419894)   #4390
Rookie

500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the result is great. There was probably more to come in the last half hour if Hartley and Jani were to have had a shot, but then again, maybe Kaz would have gone faster too.

Porsche ran much fewer laps than Toyota and Audi, and obviously did not chase a banker early on. This was a calculated risk IMO: Minimize running time on the cars and gamble that the track will be available at the end (when times are likely to be fastest anyway). I think given that Porsche had decent times in from the first night, this was a reasonable gamble. The "glory" of pole would have been nice, but starting 2/4 in this race is just fine.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3419895)   #4391
deggis
Veteran

Finland
When they couldn't get the pole, what about leading after 1 lap. That photo of the main straight on lap 2 could be more importat PR-wise than pole alone.

Could make for an exciting 1st lap.

Old 13 Jun 2014, 13:19 (Ref:3419911)   #4392
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
When they couldn't get the pole, what about leading after 1 lap. That photo of the main straight on lap 2 could be more importat PR-wise than pole alone.

Could make for an exciting 1st lap.

Heh
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:20 (Ref:3419928)   #4393
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
I'm sorry if it has already appeared in this thread.
F1-Stinger website reports the rumour that the lithium-ion battery of Porsche 919 hybrid deteriorates in only 3 hours.
In past two races, it is said that straight-line acceleration was inferior after 3 hours.
http://www.f1-stinger.com/f1-news/ne...13/051641.html

Last edited by Japanese Samurai; 13 Jun 2014 at 14:28.
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3419944)   #4394
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://t.co/Jb9N0uH60E
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3419948)   #4395
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Nice to know they have installed an onboard cam in the car because we'll never see more than those 2 secs in that video.

An old Paul Ricard video had a longer clip though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXtY74mH-eQ
Old 14 Jun 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3420881)   #4396
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Oh boy! Lot's of development work needed.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3421894)   #4397
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Commendable effort from Porsche, although it sure as **** doesn't feel like it.

Let's at least see #14 make it to the end of the race in a competitive place.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3421921)   #4398
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Hmm.. I think they will be 0 for 2.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3421927)   #4399
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I really hope they are working on next years car. They aren't going anywhere with this one.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3421931)   #4400
Articus
Veteran

I think it was a lot more than that. I thought they wouldn't even get past halfway...It seem like Porsche became a real fan favourite at Le Mans this year as well. The mood is high within the team. They were leading Le Mans with 3 hours to go!! Look how far they came! Excellent. Porsche will be hard to beat next year.

Remember the transition from the Spyder to the Spyder Evo. The Spyder was an ugly little thing. The evo went on to be dominant

I bet next years car will be called the 919 Evo Hybrid or 919 Hybrid Evo.

Wasn't their a rumour that Porsche was already constructing an all new car and engine for next year.