Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Nov 2014, 08:33 (Ref:3475338)   #1876
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
V8 Super cars are superb. As modern toss goes I think its the best series going bar none
Old 16 Nov 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3475372)   #1877
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I'll watch that later, didn't one of the Holdens run out of fuel on the last lap at Bathurst as well.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 11:55 (Ref:3475408)   #1878
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There was some mention of previous fuel issues, Tim. As a Volvo fan it's good to see them competing at a high level, and that blue is soooo cool. From my limited knowledge the V8 comes from another manufacturer, though?

I thought would waste a bit of time watching the F3 Macau GP before going to workshop, but after half the leading cars finished up in a big heap on the first lap gave up!

Old 16 Nov 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3475424)   #1879
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just watched the Aussie V8 Supercar race from Phillip Island. Why can't we have modern touring cars like them! All the grunt without the grotesque DTM body kit / aero...

The lead battle consisted of a Holden and Volvo nose to tail for many laps- until the first place Holden ran out of fuel as it approached the chequered flag! Volvo got the win by a whisker.....

Very cool cars.....
Mike, your posts need a spoiler alert!!!!!!!!

Have recorded the race to watch later, didn't think browsing this section would give away the result, Grrrr.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 16 Nov 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3475426)   #1880
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Mike, your posts need a spoiler alert!!!!!!!!

Have recorded the race to watch later, didn't think browsing this section would give away the result, Grrrr.
Presume you mean the V8s, not the F3s! You'll have to set the alarm a bit early next time and watch it live.......

Apologies.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3475576)   #1881
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I recall seeing some interesting paddock runabouts at a few of the themed historic meetings - especially Croft.

How about this for a rather unusual period piece? Original development for military purposes according to the blurb.

http://classiccars.brightwells.com/v...ls.php?id=4861

Alternatively, for the Croft event alone one might imagine, a Ferret Scout car? (at the same auction).
Old 16 Nov 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3475593)   #1882
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

How about this for a rather unusual period piece? Original development for military purposes according to the blurb.

We had one at a garage I worked at back in 1962, the blokes that worked there told me it was parachuted down with troops in WW2.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Nov 2014, 07:21 (Ref:3475695)   #1883
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I recall seeing some interesting paddock runabouts at a few of the themed historic meetings - especially Croft.

Alternatively, for the Croft event alone one might imagine, a Ferret Scout car? (at the same auction).
Nice bike, would fit in back of truck no problem! Ferret not so.... My favourite paddock transport seen at an historic meeting still has to be the Swiss reg Messerschmitt Tiger. (4 wheel bubble car.)

Old 17 Nov 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3475799)   #1884
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Had one of those, ex army, Wipac ignition, kept breaking down, no spark, no go, went to scrap yard along with 'Tilly' JN 4947 1934 Hillman, if only....
Old 17 Nov 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3475844)   #1885
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One of my drivers yeras ago had a parashute motor bike. Blooming great little thing.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3475886)   #1886
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
A corgi, a mate of mine had one, hillarious thing.
Attached Thumbnails
corgi.jpg  
Old 17 Nov 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3475914)   #1887
Cookie2000
Rookie

England
England
Cookie2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were watching one of the parades at Croft a couple of years ago, and an old chap came past the pitwall on one of these, happily waving away, when the thing locked up solid! He just picked it up, and climbed over the wall with it!
Old 19 Nov 2014, 21:23 (Ref:3476708)   #1888
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I'll watch that later, didn't one of the Holdens run out of fuel on the last lap at Bathurst as well.
YES Tim one of the Holden's did run out of fuel at Bathurst as did one of the Ford's at Surfers Paradise and now a second Holden at Philip Island just goes to show how fine the line is between good and bad strategy is.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3476834)   #1889
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Can any of you BMW experts help me with a problem with a 1998/9 BMW Z3? The car failed to start one morning and after shunting it about to several places including a BMW main dealer who got it running and re programmed the immobiliser key I was suspicious when we picked the car up. They told us it need a new battery (wrong, it was replaced a few months ago) and that the car was on the fast charger in the workshop. He then bought the car into the yard and left it running advising me not to turn it off to get more charge into the battery (more bull shite?). I drove it home tested the battery and it showed a healthy 13.5 volts. I left it a few hours came out and the problem had returned. I messed about with the key fob a few times and it started but only the once and I couldnt repeat what I had done. I suspect the immobiliser transponder is down and that BMW Squires of Watford got it running with their equipment, left it running which is why they were so instant we went there immediatly to collect it then billed Sarah's son £218 for the 'service'. Anyone got any ideas on a way forward now?
Old 20 Nov 2014, 14:54 (Ref:3476939)   #1890
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Don't know Al but when ever we get a road car in with problem I just google the prob and I tell you what there is always someone out there with the cure for the prob .
Old 20 Nov 2014, 15:12 (Ref:3476946)   #1891
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Don't know Al but when ever we get a road car in with problem I just google the prob and I tell you what there is always someone out there with the cure for the prob .
I do that all the time, but....sometimes there are various solutions and you have to pick the right one

French cars seem to be favourite but I suppose they have lots of problems!

Forums for the specific car seem to be useful at times.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3477022)   #1892
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As long as you don't take too much notice of a good percentage of them !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3477028)   #1893
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Al are there any fault codes in the Beemer ? unfortunately you can't just second guess on why it won't go, has it got sparks/fuel pressure, could be a crank/cam sensor.
I've seen most things in my job including petrol/diesel mix that will run when hot but won't start from cold.
If I get this sort of problem I always go back to basics before I start digging too deep !
Old 20 Nov 2014, 23:17 (Ref:3477085)   #1894
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Called in at mates garage today, he had an old Capri V6 there with K Jetronic injection. Car been stood for a while but when they ran it on idle after cold start the metering unit exploded with a bang. Work that one out.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 07:46 (Ref:3477193)   #1895
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Called in at mates garage today, he had an old Capri V6 there with K Jetronic injection. Car been stood for a while but when they ran it on idle after cold start the metering unit exploded with a bang. Work that one out.
Seen it happen on an old Audi 100 caused by stale petrol !
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3477211)   #1896
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going to try to bypass the immobilser its apparently a common problem and as not a BMW component although fitted from new they dont want to know.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3477214)   #1897
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Seen it happen on an old Audi 100 caused by stale petrol !
Yes thanks Gordon that was my first thought but they said they had drained old fuel out
Old 21 Nov 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3477350)   #1898
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Yes thanks Gordon that was my first thought but they said they had drained old fuel out
Maybe they did but I doubt if they got rid of it inside the metering head, also if they had tried and had taken it to pieces that could well have been the problem because they are almost impossible to work on apart from cleaning out the filters in the individual cylinder lines.
I know this because I had several Audi's and tried and failed, and after talking to someone that worked on them all the time they told me that they only fitted factory recon or new heads after trying to work on them .
Old 21 Nov 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3477357)   #1899
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
MG Rev Counter Problem

The rev counter on my MG seems to hover around 1500rpm when driving. It does move a bit but probably not more than 100 revs either way. It does occasionally work properly and it'll go down to normal on tick over.
It's fitted with some fancy electronic ignition and I've checked the wiring and all seems OK. Anyone got any ideas where to start looking for the problem.
1969 MGB 1800
Old 21 Nov 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3477360)   #1900
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The rev counter on my MG seems to hover around 1500rpm when driving. It does move a bit but probably not more than 100 revs either way. It does occasionally work properly and it'll go down to normal on tick over.
It's fitted with some fancy electronic ignition and I've checked the wiring and all seems OK. Anyone got any ideas where to start looking for the problem.
1969 MGB 1800
Ask Phillip or send it to Speedie Cables.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Closed Thread