Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Feb 2014, 14:56 (Ref:3364065)   #1
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunlop Motorsport

Might be a second thread but on the Midlands news this morning it stated that Dunlop's Motorsport division in Birmingham is closing, this is where they make our Historic tyres aswell as Dunlop's for more modern race cars
Old 4 Feb 2014, 15:03 (Ref:3364069)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interestingly I've just been talking about this and it appears that the D84 is in short supply, which may affect the Goodwood March meeting.
Old 4 Feb 2014, 15:24 (Ref:3364074)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Does that mean my set is now worth money?
Old 4 Feb 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3364111)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Does that mean my set is now worth money?

Perhaps HP Tyres will buy them back off you for a profit!

Sounds serious but surely production must continue somewhere?

Edit- France and Germany, apparently.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 4 Feb 2014 at 18:03. Reason: Addition
Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3364138)   #5
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
see story here http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/busi...t-jobs-6663051
Old 4 Feb 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3364141)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Perhaps HP Tyres will buy them back off you for a profit!

Sounds serious but surely production must continue somewhere?

Edit- France and Germany, apparently.
China ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Feb 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3364157)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
No, France and Germany!

Old 4 Feb 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3364164)   #8
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
costs will go up & product quality down !
Old 4 Feb 2014, 21:34 (Ref:3364212)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s View Post
costs will go up & product quality down !
The first is a given, regardless!

Old 5 Feb 2014, 07:41 (Ref:3364317)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to think that if production goes to Germany the quality will go up, the price remain, maybe even go down (they're bound to be more efficient ) and they may even make enough to supply demand.

We're long overdue an alternative supplier for crossply L & M type rubber anyway, maybe this will prompt some action ?
Old 5 Feb 2014, 12:36 (Ref:3364408)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I'd like to think that if production goes to Germany the quality will go up, the price remain, maybe even go down (they're bound to be more efficient ) and they may even make enough to supply demand.
Joe, you are my hero for today! A bit of positive, optimistic thinking in the face of the doom and gloom from previous posters!!
Old 5 Feb 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3364414)   #12
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
They have got to build a plant, recruit & train people, do several hundred demo tyres to test, dont see the Germans coping myself.

Last edited by FastDB2s; 5 Feb 2014 at 12:57. Reason: addition
Old 5 Feb 2014, 12:53 (Ref:3364415)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Sorry if I added to the doom and gloom John, was not the intention!

Regarding costs, if Dunlop incurr considerable costs while moving production it wouldn't surprise me if these are passed on. I would hope not, but....

We are, as customers, in the unfortunate position of having to deal with a monopoly in manufacture and another in national supply, so no 'healthy competition' working for us!

Old 5 Feb 2014, 13:03 (Ref:3364419)   #14
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
Even if there were some competition against Dunlop, would the FIA allow 2 tyre suppliers, I doubt it, if that was the case couldn't Avon be tempted to make some L & M section tyres, this would squeeze the prices down, although it is the very unique nature of the tyres & compounds which makes them expensive to produce, we had a retired guy working here who was a fabricator from Dunlop, his father was a compounder on various land speed record attempts along with some work in the racing dept, his son is a customer.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3364518)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I had a significant requirement for the MoD a few years back, Dunlop were not interested despite it being something they used to make . . . I ended up ordering a 40ft container full of tyres from the Yanks. it was only just over £90k of business in one order.

Dunlop don't deserve our business. I would go elsewhere on principal if there was an option.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3364540)   #16
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don,t give up on them yet.

Looking at further developments it would appear that this has caused one helluva storm and David Cameron,Vince Cable and all have gone on the warpath, so maybe there is hope for the 241 workforce.

I think costs would have gone up anyway, but I better get another set of CR82s for the 917 before they go over a £1000 for the four !!!
Old 6 Feb 2014, 07:25 (Ref:3364704)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm told they are no longer making D11s for my Group A Corolla, wondering what to try now? Kumho or Michelin?
Old 6 Feb 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3364740)   #18
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
Apparently the site was leased so they knew about losing their plant years ago, last night I was told that they have never intended to move anywhere else in the UK.
There are thousands of acres of unused / derelect land around the North of B'ham, you only have to go on the train from New Street to Glasgow to see this within the 1st 10miles or so, very desolate.
Old 6 Feb 2014, 12:32 (Ref:3364786)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I'm told they are no longer making D11s for my Group A Corolla, wondering what to try now? Kumho or Michelin?
Were they made in UK? Not a tyre I am familiar with so googled Dunlop D11- all the answers are in the southern hemisphere.

Old 6 Feb 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3364788)   #20
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
A lot of old tooling headed south, Turkey from memory has a large facility from one major manufacturer
Old 6 Feb 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3364803)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were the histos only ever British made? IE, not Japanese owned.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 00:40 (Ref:3365537)   #22
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An Australian perspective ,

For many years we were supplied 450/500/550 M section x 13.0'' CR65 from Dunlop Japan , that finished some 8/10 years ago when they changed the compound in Japan to suit a Honda Civic Autocross series , our openwheelers turned this tyre to mush in 10 laps or less at Phillip Island .

Then Japan stopped making the really good crossply slicks for Marchs , Chevrons, Brabhams etc. as the management stopped all crossply production in Japan and only made radial race tyres, so now we are fully reliant on U.K.
Old 8 Feb 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3365630)   #23
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks for the clarification, Bryan. We must hope that moving production elsewhere is already organised........