Old 26 Aug 2002, 01:00 (Ref:365768)   #1
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supporting series - 2003

Hello, Folks.

I have been puzzled by the unusual situation of CART and IRL supporting series in 2003.

The main CART supporting series is Formula Toyota Atlantic - and Toyota is moving camps to rival series IRL in 2003.

On the other hand, IRL feeding series is the Infiniti Pro Series - and Infiniti will no longer supply engines to its bigger sister category next year.

Whilst Nissan - through its Infiniti brand - can get some media exposure at a relatively low cost with the Infiniti Pro Series (even considering that, yes, IRL races have been very poorly attended, and that Infiniti Pro Series have not been broadcasted), Formula Toyota Atlantic is now in an awkward situation.

Although Formula Atlantic rules have been confirmed "as is" for 2003, may we expect this to change in 2004? Is Toyota engine supply going to continue then?
Old 26 Aug 2002, 01:57 (Ref:365795)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know Toyota will continue to supply engines to Atlantic in 2003. It should be pointed out that although Atlantic is Cart's premier development series, some of the drivers who are unable to obtain Cart rides may be willing to accept an IRL ride....an example of this is Sam Hornish Jr. Also, Atlantic is without a doubt the best open-wheel development series in North America, so it's still in their interest to have an involvement.

One thing I learned this weekend in my snooping around and listening to the newswire is that there are almost no drivers that want to race in the IRL. I have a feeling that the majority of IRL drivers would take a ride in Cart in a second if it was offered... And they only had something like 500 people in St. Louis for Friday and 1,500 people on Saturday... seriously why would anyone want to race there?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2002, 02:06 (Ref:365799)   #3
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Infiniti said they are discontinuing their IRL support to focus exclusively on the Infiniti Pro Series. So that relationship will continue. IPS races have been broadcasted continuously on SPEED since the series' inception.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 03:15 (Ref:365814)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Quote:
Originally posted by camcartfan
Infiniti said they are discontinuing their IRL support to focus exclusively on the Infiniti Pro Series. So that relationship will continue. IPS races have been broadcasted continuously on SPEED since the series' inception.
Hello, Camcartfan,

No question about your first sentence, but you said that "IPS races have been broadcasted continuously on SPEED since the series' inception" - are you sure that the Speed Channel is broadcasting the Infiniti Pro Series? I think this is not correct.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 06:11 (Ref:365843)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muzza-

They sure have. In fact, the Sparta, Kentucky race is on this week. Can't remember which day though. I have watched a few of the races. The talent is pretty weak and the races are very painful to watch. Almost to the point of embarassment. Not to mention, the cars are very dangerous in accidents. You think they would have developed the safety features further before starting that series.
Old 26 Aug 2002, 12:44 (Ref:365948)   #6
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Hello, Camcartfan,

I hope this debate does not become academic, but I just want to clarify what is going on with the tv coverage.

Yes, I also saw Infiniti Pro Series on tv, but not on Speed Channel - I saw it on ESPN 2. I am currently in Wisconsin. Is it possible that different areas of the US are covered by different broadcasters? I mean, you said that you saw it on Speed, and I saw it on ESPN2 - are these two networks competitors or not? Is it possible that you saw the races on ESPN2?

Otherwise I agree with you, the level of the IPS has been very, very low.

By the way, I also watched the IRL race yesterday. It is very elucidatory to watch IRL races paying attention to what happens in the background. I mean, not what the leaders - talented folks as de Ferran, Castroneves, Hornish - are doing, but how the midfielders and backmarkers behave.

The technical level of yesterday's race was simply appaling. Laurent Redon, George Mack and even the celebrated Greg Ray and Buddy Rice were all over the place, running on very inconsistent trajectories. The guys would run one lap on low track, another one high, the next one in the middle. Paraphrasing you, it was an embarassment.

Cheers,
Old 26 Aug 2002, 14:03 (Ref:365974)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
btw, did anyone see the Toyota Atlantics race from Montreal?

Seriously, this has to be the most exciting series in the World to watch. There were more passes (or attempts) in this race than the last 4 years of Formula One combined!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 26 Aug 2002, 14:15 (Ref:365979)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else seen images of the new cars for the ALMS support series, the Star Mazda series? So far, they've used plain old Formula Mazdas, but these new cars, while they're going to be very pricey, are gorgeous and could create a very viable alternative to the CART feeder series. Like Atlantics, they'll be spec cars with composite monocoques, wings, slicks, sequential gearboxes, and small engines making about 240hp.

Costs probably will be on the high side, but certainly short of the small fortune needed to run in Atlantics. Plus the series also has a TV deal with Speed Channel (who seem to have been trying out some experimental camera angles with them). Perhaps it will fill the same role Formula Renault has in Europe with respect to the ultra-espensive Formula 3 series.

http://www.starmazda.com/mazda04/mazda21.jpg

It's too bad ALMS itself isn't considered feeder material, as it's ancestor was in the 1980s. But... There really aren't nearly as many young drivers who are getting a real shot in the LMP classes... Unless your dad happens to own the car you're in. Gunnar Jeanette could be CART material, but he gets so little time in race cars... And usually the racing he does do is in the role of a last-minute substitute... Though it's an area in which he absolutely excels (observe his performance subbing for Franz Konrad at Daytona this year, despite never having driving a Saleen before the race).

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 26 Aug 2002 at 14:18.