Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3388949)   #1
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari Racing Days @ SMP.... Hmmmmm

So when I first heard about the Ferrari Racing Days I was excited, especially after attending Rennsport which was very well executed.

My enthusiasm stopped when I saw the ticket prices and event setup. A general admission ticket is $49 to attend which is reasonable I guess but then to actually get into the paddock is $99. So your $49 only allows you to sit on the outer circuit. To be able to get near the cars in the pits is additional $50 charge.

Anyone else going? Thoughts on the event?

(http://www.frdsydney.com.au/)
Old 6 Apr 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3389546)   #2
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm exactly the same. I was going to go and take my wife and son for a few hours - it would be his first racing event.

But not for $200 plus having to pay for parking. I'll wait for either the Retro Speedfest or Muscle Car Masters on Father's Day.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3389583)   #3
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Thoughts on the event?
I live in Victoria, and won't be going ... but the concept interested me in case it were to be ever held in Melbourne. However, upon looking at the website, the event leaves me totally underwhelmed, and whilst I would want to go to a similar event here; I wouldn't at those prices based on the information found in the website.

My first thoughts on looking at the website were to wonder if I had bought a time machine and gone back to 2011. A couple of direct quotes: From Ferrari Challenge "2011 sees a change in race duration, as the first one will now run for 25 minutes and the second for thirty five." The timetable lists each race as 30 minutes. From XX Programmes "Indeed, a specific kit based on these observations has been produced for the FXX programme which has run since 2006 and the 599XX, that started in 2010 and they will continue to evolve through the 2012 season." Will continue to evolve through 2012 - seriously?????

There are no entry lists or quantity details on the website that I could find. I'm left with no idea of how many entrants will be in the Challenge Races, and how many FXX or 599XX will be in that event? 1 of each - or significantly more? Would I be totally disappointed in the fields for both events?

I could not possibly consider the general admission ticket. $49 + a $20 park for 1 30 minute race and some practice and display sessions. If you want to see the La Ferrari, you HAVE to buy a paddock pass. So the Paddock Pass would have to be the go, and $50 is a massive sting for a pit pass. I also thought that there wasn't enough discount for a 2 day pass when compared to other events. I can't help wondering what the ask is for a "normal" event at SMP is, and whether the parking fee is there for all events. Parking fees at Sandown - nil. Parking fees at PI - usually nil, though I have been slugged at PI for a V8SC event before. Parking for the Bathurst 12 hour - nil.

What were spectators charged for the Rennsport event, and what do they get charged for at TCM? Both are events which had significantly more racing time.

In summary I think the website looks good on the surface, but offers woefully inadequate and out of date information, and the price charged is way out of step for what you get. Perhaps the Ferrari faithful are happy to be slugged this amount though? Time will tell.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 03:57 (Ref:3389596)   #4
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The parking is the real kicker at this event.At other meetings where they have had paid parking there has also been the option of free parking at the dragway.Not this time.If you want to enter the venue you must also pay the $20 parking charge.Greed by the organisers will stop more people going than the extra money they will make from the parking.The whole meeting looks pretty uninspiring compared to Rennsport which was excellent.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3389976)   #5
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very thankful for the posts in this thread as I will no longer be attending the event based on all of the above posts.

My friends and I were going to go out of interest but I was not aware of any of the additional charges. Looks like this will be another long lived event at smp.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 01:30 (Ref:3390003)   #6
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The event is promoted by another identity and they have control over these matters.
I understand that the ARDC virtually leases the place out to the promoter (a la V8 Supercars) and in some cases provides the officials for the running of the event (Ferrari Racing Days). In other instances the promoter leasing the place looks after all of those issues-eg the recent Powercruise event.

Some of the media I have been reading indicates that the promoter has spent a motza (good Oz/Italian word) importing exotic Ferrari models along with the costs of getting the international event cars etc out here.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 01:53 (Ref:3390005)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
can i just remind people that we are talking about Ferraris here including F1 Ferraris

these are rich mans cars, if you want to see them you pay rich mans prices
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:34 (Ref:3390020)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
these are rich mans cars, if you want to see them you pay rich mans prices
Rich man prices??????

Its cheaper than getting into Winton last weekend.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:41 (Ref:3390022)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Rich man prices??????

Its cheaper than getting into Winton last weekend.
Huh? $50 for paddock access & $20 to park at Winton?

Really?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:44 (Ref:3390023)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apologies not looking at parking.

Winton GA was $65 on Saturday and $85 on Sunday.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3390024)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Apologies not looking at parking.

Winton GA was $65 on Saturday and $85 on Sunday.
OK - so not arguing with you but trying to understand. Does the GA at Winton include paddock access? If not, how much is paddock access?

The point made all through this thread is that the Ferrari entry of $49 is reasonable but the add ons of $50 for paddock access and $20 for parking take it away from being reasonable.

On that basis you'd need to look at the cost of going to Winton, parking and accessing the paddock to be able to say that Winton was more expensive than the Ferrari thing at SMP.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3390037)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
OK - so not arguing with you but trying to understand. Does the GA at Winton include paddock access? If not, how much is paddock access?

On that basis you'd need to look at the cost of going to Winton, parking and accessing the paddock to be able to say that Winton was more expensive than the Ferrari thing at SMP.
When has pit access at a V8SA event ever been included in a GA ticket?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:10 (Ref:3390040)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Well apart from at Sandown for many years

but even now its not $50 even at Bathurst or Clipsal and you dont pay to park at Bathurst or Winton (apart from special areas)

But its no use comparing it to the v8s , thats a rich mans sport also. People are comparing it to other events at SMP like muscle car masters or Retro Speedfest
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:33 (Ref:3390050)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Well apart from at Sandown for many years
Free access to all fans to the pits during the Sandown V8 event. Kudos - thats awesome.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3390058)   #15
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 day GA was $125 at Winton.
3 day GA + paddock was $155.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 07:12 (Ref:3390065)   #16
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Yeah, good point.

Seems to be $10 for the day at most tracks so that makes Winton including paddock access $75 for Saturday or $95 for Sunday compared to $119 at the Ferrari day for the same thing including parking.

So more expensive than a day at the V8s and way more expensive than some other SMP events such as Rennsport, MCM etc.

It WOULD make you think twice wouldn't it?

Also agree with you re Sandown - really good that paddock access is at no cost there.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 08:16 (Ref:3390081)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i may have poor worded and thus accidently mislead re sandown, for many years it was free while under the previous promoter. But i think it has changed now, although support paddock may be free,
Support paddock is free at Clipsal
Old 8 Apr 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3390097)   #18
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I am glad I am not the only one that thinks it is all a little bit questionable.

Agreed that the website is very sparse on detail and with nothing further added as the event draws closer. We know that the La Ferrari is here but will just be parked and not even started. No idea how many cars are here for the Ferrari Challenge or how many cars are taking part in the XX Challenge.

There is no detail that I could see who the event promoter is either. If it is Ferrari then I guess they probably only need to lock in a sale or two to break even for the event but it appears their intention for that is not through a large attendance. Maybe the price is deliberate is to keep Joe Public away from the more affluent Ferrari Clienti?

When you consider a general admission ticket for the AGP on the Sunday was $99 it kind of all puts it in perspective. I cant recall exactly the entry for Rennsport festival but I think it may of been around the $30 and really provided the blueprint to running a successful event of this type.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 10:10 (Ref:3390118)   #19
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Darwin, 3 day hot pass $70 including paddock access
Old 8 Apr 2014, 12:34 (Ref:3390180)   #20
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't go out anymore,is it on TV?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 22:53 (Ref:3390362)   #21
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort View Post
Well I am glad I am not the only one that thinks it is all a little bit questionable.

Agreed that the website is very sparse on detail and with nothing further added as the event draws closer. We know that the La Ferrari is here but will just be parked and not even started. No idea how many cars are here for the Ferrari Challenge or how many cars are taking part in the XX Challenge.

There is no detail that I could see who the event promoter is either. If it is Ferrari then I guess they probably only need to lock in a sale or two to break even for the event but it appears their intention for that is not through a large attendance. Maybe the price is deliberate is to keep Joe Public away from the more affluent Ferrari Clienti?

When you consider a general admission ticket for the AGP on the Sunday was $99 it kind of all puts it in perspective. I cant recall exactly the entry for Rennsport festival but I think it may of been around the $30 and really provided the blueprint to running a successful event of this type.
Unless you're going to get a single day crowd above 15,000 I think it's inappropriate to charge separately for paddock access.

I understand marquee events like V8s doing it because you can't physically fit every spectator in the paddock area so you need to charge for it to keep it manageable.

I say 15K because that's the sort of crowd the Muscle Car Masters has had at its best and that was getting pretty crowded, so it's probably capacity for an open door approach.

I went to the RennSport event in 2013 too and 100% agree - it was wonderful. Great atmosphere, great display cars, good racing, really enjoyable event and very family-oriented too.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3390389)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Seems to be $10 for the day at most tracks so that makes Winton including paddock access $75 for Saturday or $95 for Sunday compared to $119 at the Ferrari day for the same thing including parking.

So more expensive than a day at the V8s and way more expensive than some other SMP events such as Rennsport, MCM etc.
I believe Winton would charge more than $10 for a paddock pass. It may average out to be $10 per day but of you rocked up on the Saturday - its costing you $30.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 03:01 (Ref:3390391)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
I believe Winton would charge more than $10 for a paddock pass. It may average out to be $10 per day but of you rocked up on the Saturday - its costing you $30.
I'm just going on other V8 rounds yet to be run - there'll all quoting $10 for a paddock pass.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 04:22 (Ref:3390402)   #24
D.R.T.
Veteran

Even Barbagello?

$57 over 2 days or $32 per day.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 05:21 (Ref:3390407)   #25
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Even Barbagello?

$57 over 2 days or $32 per day.
OK - I'll say it better - of the remaining rounds, Townsville, QR, SMP, Sandown, PI & Homebush are all $10 per day for any of the event days.

What that means is that if you go to the Ferrari day thing at SMP, you're paying five times more for paddock access than if you go to the V8 race there.

Back on the original point, yes the Ferrari Day thing doesn't feel like good value and the cost would give you pause unless you were deeply into Ferrari or at least the aspects of it that are going to be there.