Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Apr 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3390884)   #1
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BBC Leicester: Kirkby Mallory residents' views sort over race track changes

Mallory Park's local council apparently trying to "sort" resident views over activity levels according to the BBC.

I'm not entirely sure they have used the most pertinent word there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-26970236
Old 11 Apr 2014, 06:39 (Ref:3390974)   #2
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article says "sought" not "sort".....
Old 11 Apr 2014, 09:15 (Ref:3391010)   #3
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha! It's been changed since the article was first published - someone at the BBC still does good English then. I see more and more mistakes on the BBC website these days though.

On a more serious note, the article does seem to indicate that Mallory is not out of the mire just yet.....

Scott
Old 11 Apr 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3391025)   #4
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
The article says "sought" not "sort".....
As Scott said, it didn't when I read it either.

One might forgive a title slip but to have the same mistake in the text is unfortunate given the reputation the BBC would claim and cherish.

Still, if they have corrected it they are doing better than some other sources. (I was tempted to write "sauces" ... but ....)
Old 15 Apr 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3392868)   #5
Pescara Productions
Rookie

United Kingdom
The worst road in Leicestershire
Pescara Productions should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Mallory Park Support Group on facebook but it would appear that the Council have put forward their new agreement to the local residents. Here's the framework:http://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/...atutory_notice

The following is taken from the Mallory Park Supporters Group page:

-The framework may state 105 Noisy days. However before you respond to agree or disagree, TAKE NOTE of 55 of those days at a 55dbAeq level at the facade of properties. Is it possible for RML to achieve this at MP? Consider the close proximity of properties? This basically leaves about 50 noisy days a year for testing and race days.

There's now a public meeting at the Hinckley Hub to discuss this tomorrow. A brilliant bit of short notice from the council. I'm also unsure whether to bother going as the last meeting that was held there last year was not public at all. It was just a bunch of clueless idiots sat around a table, passing blame to each other and getting very little done. It annoys me that this is happening again, only this time its happening to two people who are trying their very best to make Mallory a reputable place again. It's almost as if the council are intent on doing what they want to the circuit. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3392872)   #6
jimmer
Racer

England
bath somerset
jimmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to take a breath Phillip Lol

Good rant

hmmm hope this gets resolved SOON !!
Old 17 Apr 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3393799)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
So what was the outcome of the meeting yesterday?
Old 17 Apr 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3393808)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescara Productions View Post
I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with the Mallory Park Support Group on facebook but it would appear that the Council have put forward their new agreement to the local residents. Here's the framework:http://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/...atutory_notice

The following is taken from the Mallory Park Supporters Group page:

-The framework may state 105 Noisy days. However before you respond to agree or disagree, TAKE NOTE of 55 of those days at a 55dbAeq level at the facade of properties. Is it possible for RML to achieve this at MP? Consider the close proximity of properties? This basically leaves about 50 noisy days a year for testing and race days.

There's now a public meeting at the Hinckley Hub to discuss this tomorrow. A brilliant bit of short notice from the council. I'm also unsure whether to bother going as the last meeting that was held there last year was not public at all. It was just a bunch of clueless idiots sat around a table, passing blame to each other and getting very little done. It annoys me that this is happening again, only this time its happening to two people who are trying their very best to make Mallory a reputable place again. It's almost as if the council are intent on doing what they want to the circuit. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
You may not like the process but its the only one you have. if you do not engage with it then you will lose and will have no right to moan later.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3394270)   #9
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who is kidding who? A 55db level? What is the ambient noise level in the area?

I was going to Mallory almost since it opened but haven't been for a few years, so has there been a lot of building close to the boundary since my regular visits?

My criticism of UK race days (compared to NZ), is that they seem to be based on the clock and not getting through as many races as possible. (Unless things have changed.) So, if that is still the case, even on race days, there tends to be far more quiet time than noisy time anyway.

If the race days are going to be limited, maybe it would pay to make the most of it and have more actual racing and less hanging about - which will may well suit a lot of people.

If I am out of date here, I sincerely apologise.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 11:15 (Ref:3394349)   #10
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Who is kidding who? A 55db level? What is the ambient noise level in the area?

I was going to Mallory almost since it opened but haven't been for a few years, so has there been a lot of building close to the boundary since my regular visits?

My criticism of UK race days (compared to NZ), is that they seem to be based on the clock and not getting through as many races as possible. (Unless things have changed.) So, if that is still the case, even on race days, there tends to be far more quiet time than noisy time anyway.

If the race days are going to be limited, maybe it would pay to make the most of it and have more actual racing and less hanging about - which will may well suit a lot of people.

If I am out of date here, I sincerely apologise.
There seems to be some politics involved in negotiating the number of operational days for Mallory.

On Wednesday the spectator banking between the esses and the hairpin had what looked like a test installation of some sort of sound barrier (hay bales and large wooden panels).

I suspect that it is not so much the creep of any building activity that is a problem - more likely the change of residents or the changing age of residents. Given how quiet racing most machinery is these days compared to the unsilenced past perhaps public expectations have been reset to an almost impossibly low level. Well, impossibly low until Formula E arrives.

As for scheduling track time ...

Some clubs are especially focused on packing the program and minimum down time. Bike clubs especially, but most of the car clubs as well.

A Live Televised Motors TV event is planned to have very little downtime between races to fit the tight TV schedule.

In most cases if recovery is complete, debris and oil cleared up and the next group of competitors is in place as they will have been warned to be the schedule will move forward. That said most of the events I have attended recently have well scheduled timetables so long as nothing too unpredictable happens. The weather can be a bit of a challenge of course.