Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 9 Apr 2003, 21:55 (Ref:564551)   #76
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say thank the doctors, nurses, paramedics and everyone who has lent a hand in his hour/s of need. They are the real angels.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 06:43 (Ref:564780)   #77
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any updates?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 08:59 (Ref:564874)   #78
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's stabilised now AJ, but is still in a very serious condition and the doctor's refuse to upgrade his condition for the time-being simply because they don't know how it could swing.

They also don't know if he's actually paralysed or not because they don't want to do anything that could enhance his chances of not surviving.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 14:13 (Ref:565134)   #79
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get well soon Kato get well soon
Old 10 Apr 2003, 15:06 (Ref:565181)   #80
Lee Yue Yang
Racer

Singapore
Singapore
Lee Yue Yang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah...It's terrible.What really happened?How did he crash?I did'nt get to see the crash as they did'nt show it.I only saw him lying there and his bike in pieces.I really hope that he'll get well soon.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:565260)   #81
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I pray, I pray and I pray.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 23:31 (Ref:565695)   #82
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Get well soon Daijiro!!!
Old 11 Apr 2003, 10:57 (Ref:566105)   #83
asha
Veteran

asha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all this from motogp.com

Statement from HRC
April 11, 2003—We would like to thank everyone for their concern about the condition of Daijiro Kato following his unfortunate accident. This statement is an update on the developments since the accident. Immediately after the accident Mr. Kato was taken to hospital, where he continues to undergo medical treatment. However, there has been no change in his condition, and he remains unconscious.

The cause of the accident was investigated by the Suzuka Precinct of the Mie Prefectural Police Department and related parties were interviewed, but the specific cause was not ascertained. Honda representatives have also examined the video records generated by the Suzuka Circuit’s on-site surveillance cameras, but the video evidence is not sufficient to determine the cause of the accident.

Honda Racing (HRC) has examined the motorcycle and analyzed the available data regarding its operation, but found no irregularities. Based on the currently available information, we have not been able to determine the cause of the accident.

Official Kato web thanks fans for messages of support
The following response was posted at www.daijiro.net:

`We would like to give our most expressive thanks for the great support from the fans. After the accident, Daijiro´s family and our team are closely following the condition of the rider and we are sorry that we cannot respond personally to the messages. But we are sure that their prayers for Daijiro to recover will be heard. We feel indebted to your kindness´.

Fausto Gresini: `I feel empty´
Team Telefónica Movistar Honda team manager Fausto Gresini, chief mechanic Fabrizio Cecchini and marketing and commercial director Carlo Merlini last night returned to Italy after spending the past few days at the bedside of Daijiro Kato. The trio, who were greeted at Bologna airport by the rest of the team´s mechanics, their friends and their relatives, reported that Kato´s condition remains unchanged and that there has been no other improvement since his blood pressure became stable yesterday.

`I feel empty´, commented Gresini. `I don´t feel like talking about anything else than Daijiro´s health conditions. I know I will soon have to face other subjects, like his accident and the future of the team in the Championship, but at this stage I really don´t feel like it…I still feel deeply shocked. I will spend some days together with my family and try to find some peace of mind, then I will try to face reality´.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 11:10 (Ref:566116)   #84
asha
Veteran

colin edwards had this to say
http://www.colinedwardsii.com/news.php3?id=132#

Racefans,

Well, it was a sad day. All was overshadowed by Kato's injuries. I'll tell you what I know or what I heard. As this could hopefully turn out to be false, don't quote me. The reports you have all heard are pretty much true.

I saw Biaggi at the airport and he translated to me what Dr. Costa had explained to him. Biaggi had a bag in his hand and he said, "It's like having this bag filled with glass and then dropping it on the ground. The outside of the bag is still intact, but all inside is broken." So, knowing this as a racer I would have to agree with an earlier post. I would not want to wake up. My heart goes out to his wife and kids who I got to spend some time with at the 8-hour last year.

This is a very touchy subject to some, and to some it is a risk you take. I'll give you my point of view. I've now had 3 of my friends die at a motorcycle race and it only took one for me to understand the ultimate price. Larry Schwarzbach was killed back in 92' and I cried like a baby. I then understood and realized this is the ultimate price you pay for doing what you do. I fed off of that for a long time looking and watching the news. Hearing stories of family of 4 killed while driving or women killed by 18 wheeler while biking or thousands of people being killed by some F-cking idiots flying a plane into their work place. Hell you guys take more of a risk then me driving to work everyday!!! Then I realized, we all die!!!! Sooner or later!!!!! So since 92' I've kept the attitude if I was to come to an end on a race track what more could I ask? I would have died doing what I love to do. Not a stray bullet from some punk, no drunk running me over, do you get where I'm coming from?

So now that I've rambled for a bit I will end this by saying Kato was a good man, great husband, and a hell of a father. It just so happened he was fast as hell on 2 wheels as well.

-Colin

http://www.colinedwardsii.com/images/news/132-3.jpg

Sorry asha, had to change this to a URL instead of the picture. Limit is 400x400.

Ben

Last edited by f1manoz; 15 Apr 2003 at 12:37.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 11:22 (Ref:566128)   #85
asha
Veteran

Marco Melandri its more severe of the suzuka track. And quite tramatised by events. Saying that "we are fools, riders dont count at all, we shouldn't ride at suzuka track circuit..... the show is more important then our lives"
http://www.marcomelandri.it/EN/default.html

On that page you might also notice that marco says congratulations to kato at the birth of his daughter (Kato's his second child).
Old 12 Apr 2003, 18:01 (Ref:567381)   #86
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard a few days ago that his life was out of danger, now suddenly it looks bad again. I was a bit startled by Colin Edwards referring to Kato it the past tense.....
Old 12 Apr 2003, 19:21 (Ref:567443)   #87
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Colin Edwards wrote that just after the weekend, hopefully things have'nt gone downhill.
Old 12 Apr 2003, 22:17 (Ref:567652)   #88
asha
Veteran

sorry, edwards comments where posted on his web site on 2002-04-07.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 00:47 (Ref:567761)   #89
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
so whats the latest news ????
Old 13 Apr 2003, 01:42 (Ref:567788)   #90
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, ya gotta love a straight shooter like Colin. And yeah, Kato's stabilized since then... But I haven't heard any news on his condition since Thursday, so no change, I guess. I doubt there will be any until he wakes up... I hope he does.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 02:27 (Ref:567802)   #91
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering he has almost made it a week, I'm hoping the worst is now past.
Old 13 Apr 2003, 21:26 (Ref:568508)   #92
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Kato comes out ok, the crash was brutal. Moto GP has lost two riders of Melandri and Kato at the Suzuka track. I hope the FIM officials can reexamine track safety procedure in order to prevent anymore serious accidents.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 10:13 (Ref:568893)   #93
asha
Veteran

Ukawa makes statement about Kato accident

The Camel Pramac Pons rider, Tohru Ukawa, has kindly requested that his team issue on his behalf a note in which he refers to the condition of his fellow countryman Daijiro Kato and to the tragic accident that occurred last Sunday in Japan:

`Dear Press,

As you all know, Kato had an accident in Suzuka. He is trying his best to stay alive, and to recover. I know you have many questions regarding the accident. I am very sorry but I do not feel comfortable making any comments on this topic at the moment, because the only thing I can do, and the most appropriate thing to do right now is to pray he would regain consciousness without any complications.

In Suzuka, I said that it looked like Kato and someone else had come into contact. I said this because it appeared to be so from my eyes. But I do not know for sure if they had actually come into contact. It was such an imprudent thing to say and I would like to apologize to everyone involved with this matter. Once again, I am very sorry...I hope you all understand´.
www.motogp.com
------------------

Ukawa just clearing the air.. i believe i said something about how one news article reported his speculation as fact. Rather unfair on Ukawa who is a personal friend of kato.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 02:16 (Ref:569697)   #94
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I don't see any big harm in Ukawa's earlier comments about such a contact. They happen all the time with all the riders, it's usual racing incidents/errors. A bit later, Rossi had a near miss with Capirossi coming out of the hairpin, and they are friends. AFAIK Ukawa didn't mean somebody had done somoething dirty to Kato.

The terrible thing was Kato's crash against the wall. Thanks to Ukawa for his note and thanks to asha for bringing it here

I wish Daijiro will be soon out of life threatening danger.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 06:12 (Ref:569802)   #95
asha
Veteran

yeah i dont think what he actually said was harmful (I mean riders touch and bang into each other all the time), it was just reported poorly.
Old 15 Apr 2003, 06:16 (Ref:569803)   #96
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
It's now been more than a week with little change in his condition other than the doctor's are reporting that as each day passes, the chances of Kato surviving increase ever so slightly, which in itself has to be taken as good news.

I feel sorry for Gresini, as he feels absolutely terrible at the moment:

Quote:
From Motograndprix.com
Team Telefónica Movistar Honda team manager Fausto Gresini, chief mechanic Fabrizio Cecchini and marketing and commercial director Carlo Merlini last night returned to Italy after spending the past few days at the bedside of Daijiro Kato. The trio, who were greeted at Bologna airport by the rest of the team´s mechanics, their friends and their relatives, reported that Kato´s condition remains unchanged and that there has been no other improvement since his blood pressure became stable yesterday.

`I feel empty´, commented Gresini. `I don´t feel like talking about anything else than Daijiro´s health conditions. I know I will soon have to face other subjects, like his accident and the future of the team in the Championship, but at this stage I really don´t feel like it…I still feel deeply shocked. I will spend some days together with my family and try to find some peace of mind, then I will try to face reality´.
Meanwhile, the outpouring of messages and hope of Daijiro's survival has been well received:

Quote:
The MotoGP community continues to hold out hope for Daijiro Kato, who remains in coma one week after his tragic crash at the Suzuka Circuit. Honda´s Japanese website has reported that they have received more than 4,600 messages from well-wishers around the world, whilst here at motograndprix.com the total has soared to over 1,500.

Members of the MotoGP paddock have also been expressing their solidarity with the former 250cc World Champion, including Ducati rider Loris Capirossi and Fuchs Kawasaki Team Manager Harald Eckl. `We had a dream debut with our bike but our excitement was completely overshadowed by what happened to Kato,´ said Capirossi. `He is in bad shape but we are all thinking about him and we hope he will show signs of improvement in the next few days.´ Meanwhile, Eckl added: `It is a sad time for motorcycle sport. We are all thinking about Daijiro and his family and we are praying for a miracle.´

Kato has shown no major signs of improvement since his pulse and heartbeat stabilised at the end of last week.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 12:57 (Ref:571102)   #97
asha
Veteran

hmm..
i'm going to post this here because I think its the right place for it.

This is the on board video from Rossi's bike for the first two laps of Suzuka, its an impressive video (its 10.1MB), and it makes you realise just how far they enter the chicane section.

http://images.motograndprix.com/mult...181/181190.wmv
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:50 (Ref:571438)   #98
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks alot man.
Damm that Ducati is fast!!!!
And Rossi...whew.
Yeah they do come in fast.
Great footage.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 17:57 (Ref:574227)   #99
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Friends,

According to the news agency EFE, Daijiro Kato passed away on the first hours of this Saturday, April 19th, after 13 days in coma.

My deepest thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.

So sad.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 17:58 (Ref:574230)   #100
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gazzetta.it/gazzetta/news...news_6827.html

If this article is right, then may he rest in peace.

Edit: seeing the message above my post i take it for real

Last edited by Marcel ten Caat; 19 Apr 2003 at 18:00.