Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Apr 2001, 20:48 (Ref:87234)   #1
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DRIVEN (Ohh my God!!!!!!)

First I believe we should thank Mr. Ecclestone for not allowing Stallone to do a movie about F1.
Last Saturday I went to watch the movie DRIVEN, I have no adjectives to describe how BAD!!!!! this movie is, I believe Battlefield Earth (Considered last year worst Hollywood movie) can be rated as even better than Driven. I know taste is a very subjective matter but I am pretty sure that 99% of the forum would agree with me in this case.
Not only the movie is bad but it also uses a funny edge to describe CART as the World Motoracing Championships :confused::confused::confused:
Anyway for those of you who thought that Days of Thunder was ****, I would tell you that Days of... is like a 9 Oscars movie besides de Driven one. My only advice is that if you go to watch the movie you will probably get mad at yourselves for throwing the money away.

I am also curious to know from the people that I have seen the movie, do you think that a movie like this damages or improves the Overall Brand Image of Cart? Obviously you know my answer already

A big Hug to everybody
Old 30 Apr 2001, 21:37 (Ref:87269)   #2
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Martin!

Quick - jump over to the Indycar Forum and you will see plenty of discussion of this "Drivel". You are probably fairly accurate with your 99% estimate of the forum being in agreement with you!
Old 1 May 2001, 00:05 (Ref:87329)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm moving this to IndyCar forum.
Old 1 May 2001, 16:53 (Ref:87586)   #4
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Burt Reynold's charactor says it best for all of open wheel racing, not just CART.

"We're ALL Damaged!"

I knew this movie would be a farce, but I really wasn't prepared for the utter disaster it is. You don't even have to nit-pick to find this a TRAVESTY. The 'computer effects' are straight from Cart Precision Racing & are so horribly cut in I'm speechless, without even getting into story-line, acting, etc. It does make 'Days' seem like a blockbuster. Damn, it makes 'Hot Rods from Hell' seem great.
At least Reynolds was shot in a wheel chair so we had a foot or so less of him to have to look at, but that's the ONLY positive I can come up with. This should be the first movie where the Director's Cut DVD is actually shorter than the theatrical release, hopefully by a little over 2 hours. God knows there couldn't have been anything left on the cutting room floor.
I wonder how much Bernie invested in this film? He must be laughing his arse off about now.
Cripes, what a Stink-Bomb!!
Old 1 May 2001, 18:29 (Ref:87619)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May I quote you on that?
Old 1 May 2001, 19:34 (Ref:87651)   #6
Dave S
Racer

Dave S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely!!! Perhaps Stallone is going for not only a sweep of this years RAZZIE's, but this may get him his Lifetime UnAchievement Award for Most Craptacular Career!
Old 21 May 2001, 11:52 (Ref:94760)   #7
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok I just watched IT!

I just watched Driven... I downloaded it and watched it on my PC because to Estonian cinemas I quess this movie will never come or if yes then I have to wait for months I have read that how bad it is and so my hopes weren't very high... The beginning was Ok and pretty realistic, but the second half... OH NO!!! Cars flying to the river... driving backwards... straights that last for hours... the biggest joke was their teamwork - Sly and this other guy passed 5 cars on one straight Ok I have to say it was BAD... but for CART maiby it was good if we could get some new fans OK see you here and maiby at the German's Eurospeedway!
Old 21 May 2001, 12:14 (Ref:94770)   #8
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The movie placed in the box office top ten again last weekend . . . though with the summer blockbusters on the way in a few days, it should sink out of sight.

I've decided I just won't go see it. Maybe when it hits the video stores . . . .
Old 21 May 2001, 12:20 (Ref:94775)   #9
domaza
Racer

domaza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Box Office!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuvolari
The movie placed in the box office top ten again last weekend . . . though with the summer blockbusters on the way in a few days, it should sink out of sight.

I've decided I just won't go see it. Maybe when it hits the video stores . . . .
Here are the latest stats:
1. Shrek
$42,100,000
2. The Mummy Returns
$20,500,000
3. A Knight's Tale
$10,700,000
4. Angel Eyes
$9,540,000
5. Bridget Jones's Diary
$3,800,000
6. Along Came A Spider
$2,450,000
7. Driven
$1,865,000
8. Blow
$1,350,000
9. Spy Kids
$1,300,000
10. Memento
$1,292,419

Driven still in 7th place. It isn't bad at all... Sly told that if the movie does well he will consider founding his own racing team in CART. New team won't be bad for CART - smt. like Sly Racing... this guy should have the money to run a competitive team! Sly is the deal still on!?
Old 21 May 2001, 13:27 (Ref:94794)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Oh, I think we'd better send him to the IRL (Brand X Racing) - I can't imagine a Sly Team - the Broad Street Bullies of Champ Cars.

So lets see now, "Drivel" has made approximately as much in a month as "A Knight's Tale" made in two weekends?
Old 22 May 2001, 04:56 (Ref:95049)   #11
AAReagles
Rookie

AAReagles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: DRIVEN (Ohh my God!!!!!!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin de Miguel
First I believe we should thank Mr. Ecclestone for not allowing Stallone to do a movie about F1.
Amen to that.
Old 22 May 2001, 07:09 (Ref:95080)   #12
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercifully, the flick has grossed only $29-million . . . hardly a real hit. Let Sly take his bucks to IRL. Leave the movie-making and racing to people who know how to do it right.
Old 22 May 2001, 10:54 (Ref:95131)   #13
Liz
Veteran

"Inside Track" magazine was horrified at the way it came out, particularly since several of our local racers did stunt work for it (for which they received no credit, as Sly is telling everyone who will still listen that he did his own driving!) They said Champ Cars should have seen it first and "Driven" it from their venues.

But I see that "Shrek" has made more money in ONE weekend than Drivel has made in total. So the only people who are going to see it are the ones who want to see if it is really as bad as the reviews say it is. And apparently most of them agree.
Old 24 May 2001, 05:44 (Ref:95815)   #14
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I havn't seen it. And I have no intentions of seeing it. Unless my brother drags me to see it with him. He's not a race fan but he has expressed a desire to see it.
Old 26 May 2001, 02:52 (Ref:96720)   #15
canadianfan
Rookie

canadianfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you people see how cly was trying to make it look like f1?

1/ Burt in a wheelchair like Frank Wiiliams.
2/ when sly comes to his first race, he's wearing an old williams hat.
3/ they said cart was also hosted in france...

anyways, seems like SS is a williams fan.
Old 26 May 2001, 05:15 (Ref:96735)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes that was rather obvious....

I didn't see Drivel, but I did see Shrek! I thoroughly enjoyed it, although it is more aimed at the Simpsons crowd than the loony tunes crowd. Still, a great movie.

What were we talking about?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 May 2001, 11:23 (Ref:97188)   #17
Liz
Veteran

I saw "Grand Prix" on Speedvision last night, and still can't believe guys used to race with (essentially) their street clothes on and motorcycle helmets with no face plates, sitting up in the cars for everyone to see them ... and that they were so elderly compared to today's little boys in their RC cars.

But James Garner was asked if they could do this movie today and he said "Absolutely not." He said that they paid the REAL F1 pilots $200 a day to be in the movie and the guys we have won't even come out of the motor home for the $2,000 per day that would be in modern terms. Plus there's no way they'd be allowed to have access to the tracks to film as they had in those days. He also said Jim Clark made $150,000 per year in 1965. That would not pay TGF's bar bill today.

And computer animation just doesn't get it. Sorry, modern guys, but real cars on real race circuits (not Chicago labeled Detroit and Montreal labeled Germany) just don't convince me.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1631547)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was at Bing Lee (Electrical Retailer) earlier today, and every plasma and LCD screen in the place was hooked up to Driven.

Amazing picture quality too on 20 different screen, showed off the special effects nicely.....

I asked why they chose this movie... seems they were sick of watching Monsters Inc... and wanted another cartoon to watch... !!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:27 (Ref:1631677)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kinda funny how real life imitated Driven shortly after it was released when someone (can't remember who) had that incredible nose-dive flip at Laguna Seca that was rather similar to one of the ridiculous crashes in the movie.

On a side-note this must be some kind of record when it comes to digging up an old thread
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1631708)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the driver was Max Wilson who is now in V8's in Australia I believe.
I think maybe you should sugest the store put on the IMAX film 'Superspeedway' GTRmagic. There would be some terrific video.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1631713)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
drivel - worst film ever?
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1631747)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
no doubt ... miss estelle warren saves it a little

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Jun 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1631783)   #23
GBoehm
Racer

United States
San Ramon, CA
GBoehm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Kinda funny how real life imitated Driven shortly after it was released when someone (can't remember who) had that incredible nose-dive flip at Laguna Seca that was rather similar to one of the ridiculous crashes in the movie.

On a side-note this must be some kind of record when it comes to digging up an old thread
The Driver Was Oriol Servia..
Old 11 Jun 2006, 23:58 (Ref:1632011)   #24
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holy time machine Batman!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 Jun 2006, 05:31 (Ref:1632102)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I haven't seen it yet, but I will watch it if I spot it on TV sometime (been my plan since the beginning). I expected it to be garbage since I first heard of the idea before it was made, and reality has (seemingly) proven that correct.

(FWIW, I don't think DOT is too bad. Harmless entertainment, if ultimately a bit crap.)

Rat Race (2001 one) and Guest House Paridiso must rival Driven? They are two painfully dire films.

The sort that make you want to die, or else kill somebody.