Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 19 May 2008, 07:43 (Ref:2206178)   #1
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regs : "Springs in standard configuration"

Just reading through the regs for Road Production Cars and it says that "suspension must be in standard configuration". Does this mean that the spring must be exactly as standard, or does it mean that it needs to be of standard type and location etc.. Right now my car has some what radically shorter and harder springs, with the stock springs it'll wallow about all over the place (which is an amazing thing for such a small car).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 19 May 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2206344)   #2
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As it says "standard configuration" that can be taken to mean if its supposed to be coil over shocks then thats what you have to run instead of say replacing the front suspension and going rose joint etc

I would suspect spring rates and shocker settings can be changed a little but dont know for sure....

Try looking up a scrute (should be listed in the book) near you and give them a call....
Old 19 May 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2206350)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If its "configuration" you can replace standard coil overs with competition coil overs (adjustable), if there's nothing about bushing you can rose joint. Also if there's nothing about track width, wheelbase etc. you can go fully adjustable. What you can't do is add in anti tramp bars or five link the rear end etc.

What series?
Old 19 May 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2206631)   #4
HoTWire
Racer

I was hoping to run at Gurston in the Road Production class. It doesn't appear to be part of their Championship, but they do have a recent (08) course record for it, so I'm assuming they run it there.

As far as I can see it would be the best approach to finding out the cars strengths and weaknesses and from that working out a suitable upgrade path before moving into Modified Production Saloon up to 1400cc. I've been round the houses so many times with what I'm going to do, that I just need to get started!
Old 20 May 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2207089)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey HotWire, is this still for the 1200?

While you've got the book open () can you look up the regs for interiors in the production classes? Do you require a complete interior for hillclimb/sprint or not?
I'm thinking of buying an ex-track day car, which while fine for track days, I don't want to be excluded or put in an 'open' class just for that reason.
Old 20 May 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2207634)   #6
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
hey HotWire, is this still for the 1200?

While you've got the book open () can you look up the regs for interiors in the production classes? Do you require a complete interior for hillclimb/sprint or not?
I'm thinking of buying an ex-track day car, which while fine for track days, I don't want to be excluded or put in an 'open' class just for that reason.
Yeah same car.. 1400 though

I'll check for you, but off the top of my head I don't think it needs a full interior, but it does need all working heaters, window winders etc. etc.
Old 21 May 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2208073)   #7
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks, so if an arm rest or something needs to give way to a roll cage it's probably ok.
Old 23 May 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2209705)   #8
Rustybin
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bucks
Rustybin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can cut or remove trim to get a roll cage in. Otherwise the trim has to remain intact other than removng carpets. Any back seat has tpo remain even if folded down to let the back legs of the cage reach the top of the struts. I went the same way of using a track car for sprints and climbs and unfortunately any sensible lightening for a track car arguably puts you into the modified class and a higher degree of safety driven mods. (external circuit breaker, cage, four point harness, etc.). You also of course need to stick on 1A tyres even though you may buy it on perfectly road legal 1B's.

With regard to the O/P's question on shocks I would take configuration to mean you can use aftermarket shocks springs and uprights but you could not for example replace an MGB's lever arm dampers with a coil over set up.

Last edited by Rustybin; 23 May 2008 at 11:03.
Old 24 May 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2210293)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to our friendly forum rustybin. Good points.
Old 27 May 2008, 20:27 (Ref:2213422)   #10
HoTWire
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybin
With regard to the O/P's question on shocks I would take configuration to mean you can use aftermarket shocks springs and uprights but you could not for example replace an MGB's lever arm dampers with a coil over set up.
Thats great news .. time to get some better stiff short springs sorted...