Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:19 (Ref:2232829)   #1
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Historic Festival, Brands 28/29 June

The entry list has appeared on the HSCC website today. And what a splendid entry it is with a vast array of single seaters, sports and saloon cars. Something for everyone.

The weekend has the potential to exceed the Silverstone Classic in terms of racing content but it attracts relatively few marshals or spectators. Those of us in the know look forward to the event all year. My 18th year in a row in one capacity or another. This year its flags all the way!

Bring your ear protection - its going to be loud. Anyone fancying some time on the bank (and not just because their car has come to a halt out on circuit) will be most welcome.

Any scope for a Tenthers gathering?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2232852)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is what used to be the Superprix but now sponsored by Autoglym? Yep a good meeting although debatable whether its on a par with the Silverstone Classic. I agree that it is never particularly well suported but I don't think it is promoted enough. I'm hoping to get there on the Sunday (I have a longplanned date with my wife on Saturday!)
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2232877)   #3
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not up to the Classic meeting but it does feature CanAms and I believe there's a few Kiwi F5000s coming over.

Sundays timetable looks the better bet for my type of racing.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2232884)   #4
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the Brands GP circuit is brilliant. But decided to go to Dijon instead as the races are so much longer - 90 mins GTSCC, 60 mins Yankee, 60 mins U2TC, 60 mins PMO Sportcars.

This versus 20 mins for most of the HSCC races except Guards 40 minutes.

I think HSCC run great events but for me, where I have to travel no matter where I race, I want longer seat time and not sprint races.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2232991)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Its allways been a great weekend for our team and and i have had some great races in my MarchF3. I wanted to be there this year and race my freinds Lotus 22 in the FJ race as its their big 50 year get together.
We will be at Dijon which brings me to say as others have said before "are there to many historic races in the calender"
Old 19 Jun 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2233048)   #6
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there as usual, no.89 in the Historic FFords. See you on the Sunday, John?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 01:16 (Ref:2233101)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Definitely on a par with the Silverstone Classic as a spectator as it's on a much better circuit - from a 'watching/photography' point of view. Over 100 FJ's entered on the Saturday for their 50th celebrations ( over 3 races ), 20x F5000 cars in the DBT(the Kiwi's back again) plus Can-Am cars in the Orwell Supersports.
Add in the HFO ( formerly Thoroughbred Grand Prix ) and the usual excellent HSCC grids for Guards Trophy, Classic F3, Historic FF, saloons etc.
Entry lists - check out those F5000s!:
http://www.hscc.org.uk/PDF%20Forms%2...mer%20Fest.pdf
Old 20 Jun 2008, 06:55 (Ref:2233163)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman
The entry list has appeared on the HSCC website today. And what a splendid entry it is with a vast array of single seaters, sports and saloon cars. Something for everyone.

The weekend has the potential to exceed the Silverstone Classic in terms of racing content but it attracts relatively few marshals or spectators. Those of us in the know look forward to the event all year. My 18th year in a row in one capacity or another. This year its flags all the way!

Bring your ear protection - its going to be loud. Anyone fancying some time on the bank (and not just because their car has come to a halt out on circuit) will be most welcome.

Any scope for a Tenthers gathering?
We've even got a marshal coming all the way from OZ, to be there.
See you there.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 08:26 (Ref:2233204)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly my engine builder failed to finish my engine in time and I had to pull my entry... a great meeting on a great track and I am sorry to miss it. Instead I shall go and support a mates son who is in Int F3 at Thruxton
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2233358)   #10
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imp

Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
We've even got a marshal coming all the way from OZ, to be there.
See you there.
Yes Nick...not many sleeps now

That is an impressive line up...will be interesting watching the M8s trying to get their power to the ground

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 20 Jun 2008 at 11:20.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2236047)   #11
kitcar1
Rookie

England
Southampton
kitcar1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All
who do I contact to volunteer
Old 24 Jun 2008, 06:28 (Ref:2236326)   #12
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try starting a thread for this meeting on the Marshals Forum, kitcar1 - I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2236427)   #13
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi kitcar1

Would normally appear in Marshals forum but nothing has popped up yet. Maybe we'll attract a few more folk from the wider Historic community. All will be welcome. Novices are put on post with experienced people so you get great insight and a guiding hand.

Solely for this meeting - other HSCC events are run differently - a brief email with experience and contact address and telephone no. to
mildred@brscc.co.uk
should do the trick. Mildred is a lovely lady who treats us kindly and organises the tickets, among other things.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2236523)   #14
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kitcar1,
Mildred has sent a private e-mail saying they were looking for marshals, as it's on the GP loop.
You'll be more than welcome .
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2237957)   #15
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I am aware this event is, as last years was, part of the csma`s "activities". Expect the crowd numbers to be up. Last years Sunday crowd was quite respectable, despite the changeable weather.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2237964)   #16
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking forward to this. Will only be my second Superprix, last year I didn't make the trip due to the horrible weather at the time!

Will probably pop down on the Sunday. Means I can have more of a lay-in.
Old 28 Jun 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2239365)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
how's it going in equally sunny Brands?
Old 30 Jun 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2240219)   #18
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a fantastic event, I was there on the Saturday and really enjoyed it, so much so I forgot to put on sunscreen and now I've got bad sunburn.

The cars were fantastic, the racing was top notch, and bar a few offs it seemed that everything went pretty smoothly.

My dad enjoyed it so much he went back on Sunday (I had to go home), he said that Sunday was also very enjoyable. I'm preparing an article on the event for my online magazine, I'll post here when it is available to read.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2240331)   #19
Antoine
Rookie

England
Witham, Essex
Antoine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto HoTWire. Did not put the slop on Saturday and paid dearly for it!! Spent most of my time in the shade yesterday.
What a great weekend. Lovely weather, good crowd, huge entries and some cracking motor cars.

Highlight for me was the two Derek Bell Trophy races. They were awesome with battles throughout. Was on the inside of Druids so got a great view of the accident on the first lap between the leaders in the second race. My mate got impressive footage of that so may be able to post that up here when he sends it to us.
Also thought all three Formula Junior races were fantastic.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2240372)   #20
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt see much of the racing but out of the 3 races I was in 2 of them were the some the most enjoyable races I've ever had.

My first race in the rear engined disc brake formula junior race was hectic to say the least. Qualified 7th and made my customary woeful start and was 9th at the end of the first lap, but could have been lower if it wasnt for the incident at Druids which eliminated 2 drivers in in front of me and brought out the saftey car. Managed to overhaul fellow 10/10 poster Marcus Mussa in the Brabham BT2 after a couple of laps and then Robin Longdon in his Lola MK5A. By this time the group fighting for 4th, 5th and 6th were a fair way infront but with a bit of assitance from backmarkers I managed to catch them with about 3 laps to go, and remained with them inheriting 6th when fellow Lola driver and occasional poster on here James Claridge went into Stirlings a bit hot and parked it in the gravel. Then on the last lap again coming out of Stirlings all hell broke loose, a back marker didnt see the green flag on the exit of the corner which was under yellow for Mr Claridges car in the gravel, and the Lotus 27 ahead of me took ages to realise what was happening resulting in several cars behind me catching up and a mad dash to the finish between half a dozen of us, I managed to just hold position ahead of Marcus Mussa and Andrew Hibberd finishing 6th overall. Benn Simms won the race in flambuoyant style in a Cooper T59 from Denis Welch and Mark Woodhouse.

I qualified 23rd for DBT after a fuel pipe fell off the Brabham, luckily not setting fire to anything! The rolling start was a shambles with the leaders almost at Graham Hill bend when the rear of the grid was crossing the line and it took a lap for me to realise the race had started as there were still yellow flags out. Anyway managed to get up to 12th and sat behind fellow 10/10 poster JRTM for about 12 laps and had to concede to his v8 grunt and excellent defence finishing 12th. Suffice to say my ears were ringing at the end of the race. Stuart Tilley won the race in Simon Hadfields Trojan and was absolutely flying, Mark Dwyer was second in his Lola T400 and Frank Lyons 3rd in a Lola T332.

The second DBT race was simply suberb from my perspective, the people in race control revised the start stratagey, which resulted in the whole grid being bunched correctly for the rolling start. In to paddock on the the first lap and proffessor Monson graciously spun the Lola right infront of me and I was on my way. Then at Druids half a dozen cars tangeled and I went from 11th to 4th. The safety car inevitably came out to clear up the mess and at the restart I lost 2 places to David Gathergole and a Kiwi in a Mcrae F5000. That didnt last long however as David spun at paddock on the next lap and I inherited the 2 places back again. The remainder of the race reulted in a great battle with Mike Hibberd and David Wild which I came out the better and finished 6th. The race was won by Greg Thornton in a Surtees TS11 after a close battle with 2 Kiwis in f5000's.

It was a superb event and well supported by spectators and competitors as has previously been mentioned. I think the marshalls had a busy and hopefully enjoyable weekend, there was certainly plenty for them to do with the flags and judging by the number of bent cars in the paddock, with the recovery trucks also.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2240413)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Murray

The second DBT race was simply suberb from my perspective, the people in race control revised the start stratagey, which resulted in the whole grid being bunched correctly for the rolling start. In to paddock on the the first lap and proffessor Monson graciously spun the Lola right infront of me and I was on my way. Then at Druids half a dozen cars tangeled and I went from 11th to 4th. The safety car inevitably came out to clear up the mess and at the restart I lost 2 places to David Gathergole and a Kiwi in a Mcrae F5000. That didnt last long however as David spun at paddock on the next lap and I inherited the 2 places back again. The remainder of the race reulted in a great battle with Mike Hibberd and David Wild which I came out the better and finished 6th. The race was won by Greg Thornton in a Surtees TS11 after a close battle with 2 Kiwis in f5000's.
Your Brabham looked lovely if I may say so, Brabham

As did the rest of the cars on show. A great day out, made all the more so with the free stuff for kids, shame the ice creams were a rip off but everything else was great.

Gallery
Old 30 Jun 2008, 13:25 (Ref:2240460)   #22
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2240555)   #23
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree James' Brabham caught my eye too, its such a pretty looking car for its era.

The NZ guys certainly made an inpact in the 2 DBT races that Mcrae GM1 which even set fastest lap in the first race.
I have to say the start of race 1 was chaotic and spoilt what could have been some even closer racing.

It makes one feel old when you remember 95 % of the cars in thier heyday.

Pete
Old 30 Jun 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2240786)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
James certainly looked very racy in both DBT events and his comments above tend to bear out that impression. Sorry I didn't get to say hello, James; the fact is that I couldn't find you. Couldn't find Professor John either - I maybe getting a complex! Caught up with Chris Sharples, Marcus Mussa, James Schryver and Gary Critcher though, and was also pleased to meet Bruce Fullerton for the first time. Noting the reference to Stuart Tilley racing Simon's Trojan was Mr Hadfield there, or was he at Dijon along with a few other absent friends?

Spent most of the day (Sunday only) away from the Indy part of the circuit as we don't often get a chance to see the GP bits! I reckon I covered the equivalent of 3 full laps on foot! Great grids and great racing but I thought the Orwell grid was a bit weak in big bangers, though. I'll post some pics from Sunday at some stage.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2240928)   #25
JRTM
Rookie

Ireland
Orlando, FL
JRTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My weekend was not so good - apart from the great fun battling with James Murray. As he mentioned the start of the first DBT as the man in front of me didnt realise the race had started and continued to warm his tyres for two full laps.

Race two began with a blinding start that ended by stupidly spinning down paddock hill - lack of talent on my part which ruined the race.

What else? The Toj SS02 dropped a valve after 4 laps of testing and my co-driver put the Lola Mk1 in the gravel at Paddock on the first lap of practice which certainly put a damper on the Guards - a fair sized quarry was removed after they dragged the car backwards through the entire trap.

That left the Huffaker being driven by Simon Diffey who started from pole and finished second after a terriffic battle. Last up was the Crossle 19F in the CRC. I started from 5th and made a blinding start up to second. Several stupid mistakes, a loose mirror and a blind backmarker later i finished where I started - 5th.

Overall, one of "those" weekends but the Kiwi show made it worthwhile.