Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2894402)   #51
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
A lap in 3:32 - not bad at all
I wonder what the top factories think about the prospect being beaten by a giant ***.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 15:54 (Ref:2894415)   #52
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try Hard View Post
No problem understood...just took me a while to find where it had gone
Who knows, maybe Prodrive's simulations show the AMR on pole ahead of the R18 and 908

I am really having trouble believing this delta thing has been given the 56th entry, I would think Porsche are fuming about that. The 918 seemed to be slotted for that entry.

Wasn't Oreca involved somehow with an all electic proto? Drayson is, in some sort of club series in the UK. Shouldn't the 56th entry go to something like that, encourage development of quick charge system of batteries, approximating a normal type pit stop? That would have merit in the market place and is the wave of the future.

Maybe Tata gets on board with this delta thing, it could improve their view in the market?

call me sad and puzzled........but don't call me late for beer

robert

Last edited by skycafe; 9 Jun 2011 at 15:55. Reason: punkyation
Old 9 Jun 2011, 16:21 (Ref:2894444)   #53
Sellysell
Rookie

United States
Sellysell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this going to be unclassified, or is it actually going to be in lmp1.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2894491)   #54
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellysell View Post
Is this going to be unclassified, or is it actually going to be in lmp1.
I think anything running from "garage 56" is going to be unclassified.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2894515)   #55
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It's good for publicity but as a fan I say
Old 9 Jun 2011, 18:31 (Ref:2894568)   #56
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
*Simulation* run of the Delta Wing at Le Mans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qab8J..._order&list=UL

This thing looks like a danger to both drivers and spectators, I hope they run out of money, or have a mechanical problem that wont allow them to start the race. Epic Fail.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2894609)   #57
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I am really having trouble believing this delta thing has been given the 56th entry, I would think Porsche are fuming about that. The 918 seemed to be slotted for that entry.
There was never even a hint the 918 would compete, it's a design concept using the RS Spyder engine and hybrid technology from the 911.

The Delta Wing is exactly the type of car which should be granted the 56th grid slot, it's a near certainty future LMP's will have half the power, be supplemented by a hybrid system, and use ground effects rather than dragy wings.

Result, similar performance with much reduced energy consumption.

The Delta Wing is proving a concept, everyone will have their own take on things, should they be successful.

Regardless of the car, to have Highcroft and AAR back in sportscars is great, and who knows what this will mean for Chevy or Ford should they power the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CI2b...embedded#at=44

Last edited by JAG; 9 Jun 2011 at 19:29.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:30 (Ref:2894619)   #58
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
There was never even a hint the 918 would compete, it's a design concept using the RS Spyder engine and hybrid technology from the 911.
Rubbish!

— The 918 RSR is targeted at GT racing despite its carbon-fiber tub – because it is based on the 918 Spyder road car and thus will be homologated as such. Hartmut Kristen.

— The 918 RSR concept would not be fast enough to challenge current LMP1 and LMP2 cars, hence Porsche’s desire to see it categorized as a GT. Hartmut Kristen

— Racing the 918 RSR in an “unclassified” category will not be enough – Porsche will look to enter it in a series that provides the best competition platform for the program, whether it be the ACO, the FIA, or the ALMS. Hartmut Kristen.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2894633)   #59
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can't target it at GT racing when their isn't a class for it, and won't be for the forseable future.

It's a concept car, Porsche's motorsport future will be in P1 and/or GTE, unless they fit it into one of those classes, it's unlikely to be anything more than an unclassified curiosity.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2894669)   #60
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps, but that is not what you wrote earlier.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2894698)   #61
JAG
Veteran

England
Did I hear that right from Hindy on Eurosport, Nissan P1 coupe built by ORECA is due, possibly even tested already!
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2894711)   #62
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2894712)   #63
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
the assumption by most was it, the 918, was aimed at the 56th garage that was announced about the same time as the car was breaking cover. Granted, making any sort of assumption when it comes to racing (or anything else), is a fraught exercise, but it does seem reasonable that Porsche knows the ACO, and the ACO knows Porsche. Of course, the Hope Flybrid is breaking that sort of ground this year at LeMans, so that does open up the 56th garage for something else I guess…..
The 918 would have fit into the race by being on-pace and not handicapping or disrupting others in the field. I am NO expert, but I am having a problem believing that the delta can do that.
Granted, the people listed as involved in the delta certainly have the credentials to field the car and certainly they must, guess, know something. Having found some info on the Green GT, I really would have liked to have seen that, and I will do some more searching to find info on the Courage.

Last edited by skycafe; 9 Jun 2011 at 21:23. Reason: modicum of clarity
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:30 (Ref:2894719)   #64
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think anything running from "garage 56" is going to be unclassified.
Just imagine if an unclassified car wins overall. That would be interesting. I don't think that will happen in 2012 with the Sausagemobile.

Quote:
I think Duncan has lost it, suprised but interested Dan is involved. Is it just me or is Don Panoz getting really bored about the ALMS?
I think Panoz is trolling the fans. The Abruzzi is one thing, but now this? As for AAR, Gurney had an Indycar way back in the early 80s that had some similar design components. That was back when performance led to design, not vice versa. The fact that Indycars did not take that shape may foreshadow the future of the Sausagemobile, but maybe not.

Quote:
Did I hear that right from Hindy on Eurosport, Nissan P1 coupe built by ORECA is due, possibly even tested already!
A modern day Nissan-Courage connection? I guess Oreca has the 02 on their hard drives. Maybe Nissan has a Zytek engine or something running in an 02 testbed? It would be nice if something came from this, but who knows. I wonder if Renault would be more likely to enter Le Mans than Nissan with the South American race potential and the two Asian rounds, but again, who knows. Sometimes nothing comes from these testbeds.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2894729)   #65
JAG
Veteran

England
Endurance Info.

Quote:
With the creation of a World Championship Endurance Group Chairman ORECA is not insensitive to the new World Series: "It's a great thing and I hope that new manufacturers will come. Partners will necessarily be more interested in knowing more there will be the label FIA, which is a guarantee of quality. Our wish is to be part of and discussions are underway with Peugeot. Things are moving forward and for the moment it goes well. Nor should we forget that ORECA worked for two years in a project called ORECA 02. We are able to offer this project to a major vendor. The design of the auto loan is closed."
Old 9 Jun 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2894731)   #66
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
the assumption by most was it, the 918, was aimed at the 56th garage that was announced about the same time as the car was breaking cover. Granted, making any sort of assumption when it comes to racing (or anything else), is a fraught exercise, but it does seem reasonable that Porsche knows the ACO, and the ACO knows Porsche. Of course, the Hope Flybrid is breaking that sort of ground this year at LeMans, so that does open up the 56th garage for something else I guess…..
The 918 would have fit into the race by being on-pace and not handicapping or disrupting others in the field. I am NO expert, but I am having a problem believing that the delta can do that.
Granted, the people listed as involved in the delta certainly have the credentials to field the car and certainly they must, guess, know something. Having found some info on the Green GT, I really would have liked to have seen that, and I will do some more searching to find info on the Courage.
ACO say any 56th entry will need to race before Le Mans.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2894792)   #67
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
ACO say any 56th entry will need to race before Le Mans.
Where exactly is that going to happen when it comes to the delta?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 22:39 (Ref:2894796)   #68
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not sure which article stated this, but I read in an article that Highcroft is going to try to run the car unclassified in some ALMS races (or at least one).
Old 9 Jun 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2894799)   #69
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anybody get any further information on the Murphy the Bear twitter post about the Abruzzi project being cancelled? In addition to large layoffs at PMG.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 22:48 (Ref:2894802)   #70
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
As said, ALMS is mentioned, ACO want a competitive race car, not just a technology demonstrator.

Autosport say car will use a 1.6T WRC/S2000 engine, and weigh less than 500kg.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:01 (Ref:2894807)   #71
JAG
Veteran

England
Todays Autosport says Nissan are looking to expand their international motorsport activities, Nismo's Shoichi Miyatani would not comment about a P1 engine program.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2894810)   #72
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Todays Autosport says Nissan are looking to expand their international motorsport activities, Nismo's Shoichi Miyatani would not comment about a P1 engine program.
An LMP1 program would be nice, although I wonder if a potential LMP1 program would be petrol, petrol hybrid, diesel, or diesel hybrid. It is debatable if they are wasting their time with a petrol, but maybe a petrol hybrid or or diesel could be competitive. Maybe they are a potential Zytek hybrid customer?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:28 (Ref:2894821)   #73
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
An LMP1 program would be nice, although I wonder if a potential LMP1 program would be petrol, petrol hybrid, diesel, or diesel hybrid. It is debatable if they are wasting their time with a petrol, but maybe a petrol hybrid or or diesel could be competitive. Maybe they are a potential Zytek hybrid customer?
Isnt Zytek involved in the current Nissan LMP2 engine?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:31 (Ref:2894825)   #74
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Isnt Zytek involved in the current Nissan LMP2 engine?
Yeah
Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2894905)   #75
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
If Nissan goes P1- Toyota will follow, perhaps Honda. This can only be a GOOD thing. Forget the delta wing. That wiener-mobile turned race car needs to go, it's neither attractive nor sensible for the types of other cars around it.