Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 18 Mar 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3220352)   #1
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Vettel = best driver in F1

I think so..he drove quite well in the race, and they were saying that they had nothing wrong with the cars, except Webbers mechanical problems at the start, they were down on pace with the cars this weekend, but I still believe they are sandbagging, helmet said they were going to be treated equally this year, Which I think he said the same thing last year. But still was much quicker then webber for the most part, well since being teammates really. If he stays for the long run he'll surpass the great Schumacher's achievements. Thoughts?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3220403)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
how on earth do you equate 'quite well' with 'best'?
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3220413)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Just because the modern press have a fixation with labelling all sports people "best ever", or "worst ever" does not mean that we have to do the same, especially after you think that the driver in question merely drove "quite well".
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:19 (Ref:3220414)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
That thread title is like a beacon to attract trolls.

I'd say he has made wonderful use of having, at the very least, extremely competitive cars the last few seasons. He's very good, but best? Nah.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:35 (Ref:3220430)   #5
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
how on earth do you equate 'quite well' with 'best'?
he was on the podium? if that isn't a sign of doing quite well in the race I dunno what is
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3220439)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
he was on the podium? if that isn't a sign of doing quite well in the race I dunno what is
Er, nobody's saying being on the Podium isn't a sign of doing well. It just equating a 'quite good' drive with 'the best' that's being questioned.

Of course, Hamilton is the best as everyone knows (yes, you do really. No, really), and he wasn't even on the podium....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:12 (Ref:3220442)   #7
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah easy to overlook his drive, but Webber was 0.5sec a lap slower on average, and a long way behind. Vettel also made some good passes in the race considering his car's lack of speed on the straight. Webber couldn't pass even slower cars.

It's easy looking at Alonso and seeing the drive he gets off the final corner and does an easy pass down the main straight, but Vettel seemed to have to do most of his the hard way. I wonder if he'd have held off Alonso for the rest of the race if they didn't bring him in a lap later.

Vettel did a bit of an Alonso drive from last year - finished 3rd even though Massa and Grosjean should both have been ahead on car pace.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3220443)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
RBR are saying that Webber's KERS was up the creek again. FYI.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3220452)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect we're simply going to retrace the same discussion we had in the Hamilton best driver thread.

For what it's worth, I think the three best drivers in F1 were on the podium yesterday.

As for Vettel, as the youngest ever triple champion he certainly has the potential to join the very best - but he's got a fight on with at least two others for this season's title. In fact he may have already had his main period of dominance in terms of titles.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3220496)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh good, another one of these threads.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3220502)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually it's Maldonado.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3220511)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually it's Maldonado.
Yes, because he got his car stuck in the gravel "quite well"...
Old 18 Mar 2013, 12:33 (Ref:3220521)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm pretty sure it's Maldonado.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3220555)   #14
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't it Webber? He must be the only driver who always gets at least one vote in dotr.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3220556)   #15
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Er, nobody's saying being on the Podium isn't a sign of doing well. It just equating a 'quite good' drive with 'the best' that's being questioned.

Of course, Hamilton is the best as everyone knows (yes, you do really. No, really), and he wasn't even on the podium....
yeah I agree hamilton's the best...........at whinging, if he's the best he would've been on the podium at the end of the race, didn't see him there though.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3220568)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Nah the best whinger has to be Webber and thy have the audacity to call us Whinging Poms!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3220574)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope definitely Maldonado. * this account has been hacked by chunterer*
Old 18 Mar 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3220579)   #18
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
i hAte hAmiltn. Heez stoopid.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3220707)   #19
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still think that Alonso is the best driver in F1. I think it is the most rounded in certain skills.

That being said, Vettel is mightily impressive. For someone so young, he has achieved quite a lot in F1. He(like Alonso) seems to know how to mould a team around him. He also does seem to have place close attention to all of the details. I do think he has the edge of the rest of the field in qualifying. He does just seem to keep improving from year to year.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3220743)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
yeah I agree hamilton's the best...........at whinging, .
That's the level of the thread, is it? Convention is that you let someone else ruin the thread you start.

A lot of people will see this and simply not want to participate, if that is the standard of discussion and the response that anyone who posts an alternative view is going to get.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3220762)   #21
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Actually it's Maldonado.
At last everyone else is seeing the light.He's really fast.
Shame he had to swerve to miss a kangaroo and ended up in the gravel.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:09 (Ref:3220795)   #22
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That's the level of the thread, is it? Convention is that you let someone else ruin the thread you start.

A lot of people will see this and simply not want to participate, if that is the standard of discussion and the response that anyone who posts an alternative view is going to get.
To be fair, FAS33 is slightly younger than many of the regulars on this forum (so I am led to understand, anyway). OK, a lot younger...

FAS, you should understand that this forum doesn't have the red/blue polarisation you might be used to. There are many shades of grey here - so many, in fact, that I have had to park my eternal dislike of the Ferrari team *and* Alonso and begrudgingly admit in public that yes, he's a bloody good driver.

And you know what? Nobody hated me for it. Well, I did, a bit.

Nuanced discussion is a speciality. One day I will manage that, too
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3220804)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3220812)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I think so..he drove quite well in the race, and they were saying that they had nothing wrong with the cars, except Webbers mechanical problems at the start, they were down on pace with the cars this weekend, but I still believe they are sandbagging, helmet said they were going to be treated equally this year, Which I think he said the same thing last year. But still was much quicker then webber for the most part, well since being teammates really. If he stays for the long run he'll surpass the great Schumacher's achievements. Thoughts?

What, we've now decided that after 1 race of the 2013 season (and not after three consecutive championships)?

And yes, who can possible gainsay Maldonado? Plain as the nose on your face. Or car. In the gravel, that is.....
Old 18 Mar 2013, 21:32 (Ref:3220817)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This thread is probably futile now, so here is another one already going to debate this issue: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136027
Closed Thread