Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2003, 12:06 (Ref:592287)   #1
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be a Grand Prix Driver

Sorry to all you non-Brits out there but this thread relates to a TV program on British TV channel 5 so you may not be able to input in this one

I watched my first (and possibly last) episode of "Be a Grand Prix Driver" What was all that about!!? Its based on the Pop Stars format where loads of people turn up and are slowly whittled down until one remains to become a Grand Prix driver.

Here are my Comments I would be interested in other peoples point of view:-

1) They are going too fast You cannot go from Karts to F1 in a matter of weeks

2) The Criteria seems to be, Young, easily manipulated, does as they are told, knows how to behave in front of the press, and last and by a long way least show some sign knowing how to drive a racing car.

am I being over critical or am I wise to avoid this program
Old 7 May 2003, 12:08 (Ref:592291)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3) And they actually have to reject all of them as noone would hire that "GP-driver"
Old 7 May 2003, 12:31 (Ref:592314)   #3
perminder
Racer

United Kingdom
in my house
perminder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes are they funding the drives themselves as normal wannabe f1 drivers would or are channel 5 footing the bill.

and why have they got Jenson Button on the Judges panel surely it should be someone with a wealth of experience like Hill DC, or Mansell etccf
Old 7 May 2003, 13:01 (Ref:592340)   #4
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw this prog the other night! and you are right to avoid - just a FIVE marketing stunt bashed together with the staff of fith gear.

A serious question though - Do you know, are the entrants supposed to be complete novices?

I only ask as I've never heard of any of them except Lars Sexton who has raced go karts since 1990 and is a former national champion.

Bit of an unfair flying start compared to the other monkeys.
Old 7 May 2003, 13:15 (Ref:592357)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The criteria seems to be people who will make entertaining telly, not anything to do with driver skill.

The aim of the program is to get as many viewers as possible not to make a GP driver. Shame really, but that's (cheap) telly for you.
Old 7 May 2003, 14:08 (Ref:592409)   #6
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sorry but I dont think driving a Zip Ford around Rockingham is good training to be in F1. A FFord around Brands would have been better.
Old 7 May 2003, 14:26 (Ref:592422)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched a bit of it by accident the other night. Rubbish telly, and surely aimed at five junkies who are too stupid to understand even the fundamentals of motorsport.

Out of interest, does anyone know what Be a Grand Prix Driver will actually mean for the winner?

I'm certain most people watching this rubbish - and probably most of those who entered the competition - honestly believe they'll be lining up alongside Jensen, DC, the Schumachers et al in a real F1 race. Now I'd hate to be the person that buts a scud through the hot air balloon of their dreams, but let's face it - that really ain't gonna happen...
Old 7 May 2003, 15:42 (Ref:592493)   #8
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree. It's too rubbish for words. I seriously couldn't bear to watch it again.....
Old 7 May 2003, 19:33 (Ref:592739)   #9
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you think about it, the concepts a good one if they treated it with the respect and technical knowledge it needs. But treated like another 'reality' or 'search' tv program and it's just another pile of toss.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:01 (Ref:592770)   #10
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be A Grand Prix Driver

I was actually in episode 1, didn't get any further than the fitness round. However, there were quite a few people I raced against in the British University Karting Championship who were doing it too, so I've been watching it. One of them was Mark Johnston who is doing quite well in this.

This isn't really a Five stunt, it started way back in 2001 as "So You Want To Be An F1 Driver", and Five only picked it up last year. Of course now it's on Five it uses all of their staff. Anyway, the idea is to pluck someone from obscurity and the winner get's to do a TGP race at Monza in an '86 Tyrrell, and a 7 year contract with Essentially Sport, who manage Jenson (hence the presence him and John Byfield, his manager, on the program).

However, I have become very annoyed with the organisation of the program - when we all entered we were told that people with MSA race licenses were not allowed. However, in the end, 3 people who had such licenses and apparently have allowed them to "lapse" are down to the last 12. Bit of a joke I reckon when it's supposed to be getting them from obscurity.

Anyway, the format is as follows I believe -

Round 1 (1000 People) - Fitness Test (I went out here)
Round 2 (250 People) - Karting (5 laps of)
Round 3 (60 People) - Saloon Cars & Quantums (5 laps again)
Round 4 (21 People) - Formula Zip
Round 5 (12 People) - Formula Renault
Round 6 (6 People) - F3
Round 7 (3 People) - F1 Test in the Tyrrell
Winner - Does races round Europe to get proper license, then goes TGP Race at Monza on May 25th. From there? Who knows?
Old 7 May 2003, 20:02 (Ref:592771)   #11
frostblade
Racer

Actually, can I just point out that it is indeed a load of rubbish because they're basically letting proper race drivers do it, it's not like a reality program where you have to vote people off.
Old 7 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:592847)   #12
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
imagine going out in that car and righting it off will channel 5 fot the bill then
Old 7 May 2003, 21:06 (Ref:592864)   #13
racingdick
Veteran

racingdick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only 2(ex drivers) got through to the last 6, with 2 peolple going through after the f1 test.
these two will attemp to qualify i believe the fastest will race..
see my site www.geocities.com/racingclio for photos of lars sexton testing the f3

one of the last 3 is a complete novice and someone who would really benifit from the opputunity.
usual story may have the tallent no money, so in that respect its good..
Old 7 May 2003, 21:16 (Ref:592883)   #14
frostblade
Racer

Ex drivers my arse. Lars was still doing Formula Renault in 2001, and he's doing it this year too.
Old 7 May 2003, 21:20 (Ref:592889)   #15
racingdick
Veteran

in 2000 he did but not doing anything this year
Old 7 May 2003, 21:25 (Ref:592898)   #16
frostblade
Racer

I think you'll find he is if you check his website at http://www.larssexton.co.uk
Old 7 May 2003, 21:30 (Ref:592909)   #17
racingdick
Veteran

yeah but no money means he cant. have you seen him out this year?
jamie morrow is though in zip and doing very well.
he and lars i think were at the end of there 3 years and hence were eligable
Old 8 May 2003, 12:15 (Ref:593404)   #18
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole idea of getting rank amatures into formula one is complete and utter nonesense. (I think the winner only gets to test an F1 - though with which team is a mystery, meaning it will probably be an Historic F1 or something).

They could save themselves a helluva lot of time and effort and just pay 'red letter days' to have a go!

As for Lard sexton racing in F1... he was always alright, but when compared with his peers such as Paffett, Button, Davidson, Wheldon etc - he was no match for 'em.
Old 8 May 2003, 12:30 (Ref:593427)   #19
frostblade
Racer

Sonic, I said what the prize was - it's a race in the TGP series in a '86 Tyrrell, no test with a current F1 team.

I don't think the idea has ever been to get the winner straight into proper F1 - they get a management contract and see where they go from there.
Old 8 May 2003, 19:54 (Ref:593922)   #20
racingdick
Veteran

race in monza at the end of this month. The two finalists have no previous racing experience. All i can say is one is young and the old.
Old 8 May 2003, 19:55 (Ref:593923)   #21
racingdick
Veteran

see my site for lars testing the f3 @pembrey
Old 8 May 2003, 20:09 (Ref:593936)   #22
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think this i a reasonable idea, i cant see the winner ever becoming a f1 driver and wouldnt have thought that any of the contestants believed they would ever be in f1, but the program will provide a fantastic experience for the competitors, i mean most people dont ever get to drive a cart in their life so being able to drive a formula renault, f3 and old f1 car will be an amazing experience. as we know motorsport is a very difficult thing to get into if you dont have the money or the exposure to it and this could help them get on to a lower rung of the ladder, good luck to them i say.....
Old 10 May 2003, 15:58 (Ref:595441)   #23
racingdick
Veteran

www.geocities.com/racingclio
Old 10 May 2003, 17:38 (Ref:595508)   #24
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only seen one programme... I keep missing it but although this may not be the most ideal way I'm not going to coplain about the use of television to start a career because it practically launched my dads racing career and he went on to stay in the business for a good 12 years.

And good to see you around here Alex!
Old 10 May 2003, 18:00 (Ref:595524)   #25
racingdick
Veteran

hang on frostblade of Bukc???
hey!!!