Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10 May 2004, 00:39 (Ref:966033)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Spanish Grand Prix : Driver of the race

OK here we are again. We will start with a quick reminder of what this competition is about.
Quote:
After every race, I will run a poll "Driver of the race". You can vote however you like, but for this to work members need to vote for the best race weekend performance, regardless if its your favorite driver or not. It will become pointless if Montoya fans vote for Juan or Webber fans vote for Mark (unless they deserve it of course ).

The polls will run for 10 days, and then the votes will show a winner, 2nd and 3rd.

Winner - 5 points
2nd - 3 points
3rd - 1 point

We will continue to do this every race and at the end, the points will be added and a Ten-Tenths Driver of the Year will be crowned.

Our champion could drive a Ferrari, Williams, Sauber or even a Minardi, as the race results are unimportant, but what the driver acheived on a race by race basis over the season.
Standings

1. M.Schumacher 16
2. Button 12
3. Alonso 5
4. Sato 1
5. Montoya 1
6. Fisi 1

Spanish Grand Prix.

Michael Schumacher - what can you say, the man makes things happen. Even mechanical failures could'nt bring his 200th GP to an end.

Barrichello - Used the 2 stop to good advantage, but was never really going to threaten Michael for a win.

Trulli - What a start (although I should be naming some tech-kid in the garage. Drove an excellent race and got the best result possible.

Alonso - He and Trulli did it tough, but 3rd and 4th was a good result.

Fisi - Like Rubins, made good use of the slower strategy.

Someone else?
Old 10 May 2004, 00:46 (Ref:966037)   #2
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Michael, just a stunning performance.
Old 10 May 2004, 00:49 (Ref:966039)   #3
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I go with Rubens on this one. Beautiful strategy and didn't get rattled - he is a cool customer and did exactly what he needed to do.
Old 10 May 2004, 00:54 (Ref:966043)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went with Michael again.

He never panics, and wasn't rattled abit by Trulli's magnificent start. He just ripped off some very fast laps when Trulli pitted, and was able to retake the lead after his own.

The man is the best...

Danica Patrick
Old 10 May 2004, 00:55 (Ref:966045)   #5
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
m. schumacher....pole position, nursing a not-so-healthy car to his 75th grand prix victory....what more can you say?....
Old 10 May 2004, 01:35 (Ref:966052)   #6
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS because well is there anyone who can challange him this year?

The Grumpy1
Old 10 May 2004, 06:13 (Ref:966131)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher, although closely ran in the "good race" stakes by Trulli. For once.
Old 10 May 2004, 06:32 (Ref:966139)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli, for once he's there
Old 10 May 2004, 06:34 (Ref:966143)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Trulli, for once he's there
Me too. Most impressive I've ever seen him.
Old 10 May 2004, 07:52 (Ref:966198)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Trulli, great start, good pace throughout the race so he gets the vote. Alonso and Fisi had good races too, Sato wasn't bad. The rest were all fairly unimpressive really.

(If I keep ignoring the Ferarris maybe they'll go away)
Old 10 May 2004, 07:52 (Ref:966199)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Me too. Most impressive I've ever seen him.
The power of expiring contracts ..
Old 10 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:966212)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jarno Trulli, his performance was outstanding.
Old 10 May 2004, 09:06 (Ref:966249)   #13
DaveStyles
Rookie

DaveStyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barichello drove well on his strategy... and may have even challenged MS if they could have found him some tyres.
Old 10 May 2004, 11:08 (Ref:966369)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveStyles
Barichello drove well on his strategy... and may have even challenged MS if they could have found him some tyres.
I don't think the tyres thing made a lot of difference to the stop - there was a delay with the tyres but they were on before they'd finished fuelling the car anyway so it really didn't matter.

Rubens just didn't have the speed to beat Michael (no surprise there). He was the second best Ferrari (and his car was 100%) so it's very hard to make him driver of the race. (I realise he was on a different strategy but that's only because he knows he can't beat Michael in a straight fight so he has to try something else - tyre compound, strategy or whatever)
Old 10 May 2004, 11:40 (Ref:966395)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It probably ought to be Michael, but seeing as he'll walk away with this title aswell anyway, I can afford to be generous to others on occasion.

Jarno Trulli for me. Got the best result he could, and in his own words was right on the edge of a jump start to get position for turn 1... it's taken a while, but he's maturing into a really good driver - he's gonna deserve a win sooner or later.

Rubens made an alternative strategy almost stick, so a good performance. And I honestly believe what Ross Brawn has said - Rubens is not having a lacklustre year, nor is he struggling with the F2004; it's just that Michael is driving out of his skin, the best he's ever been.
Old 10 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:966561)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jarno-what a start and a nice gesture of dedicating his podium to a friend...
Old 10 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:966782)   #17
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael .. but yes trulli finally got the better of alonso for the full race . not just 2/3 like Imola

Ciao Marco
Old 10 May 2004, 21:29 (Ref:966931)   #18
The Lounge King
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
The Lounge King should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi finished higher than his car necessarily deserved.
Old 11 May 2004, 00:15 (Ref:967084)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli for me. I can't help but wonder that if he wasn't short fueled at his first stop, in an attempt to stay ahead of Michael, that he may have had a shot at second.
Regardless though he was quite quick in what arguably isn't even the second best car on the grid.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 May 2004, 01:49 (Ref:967118)   #20
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More overtaking on this than at the Spanish Follow My Leader.
Attached Thumbnails
circuit%202000%20(small).jpg  
Old 11 May 2004, 12:13 (Ref:967566)   #21
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually voted for Alonso. Trulli had a wonderful performance of his own, despite being overtaken by 2 Ferrari's in the pits is hardly anything to be shameful about.

I thought that after qualifying 8th and coming home 4th demonstrates a hell of a drive by the young spandard (again despite both Monty and Panis retiring).
Old 11 May 2004, 17:14 (Ref:967884)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Trulli drove a blinder. Not often he beats Alonso like that, especially not on home turf.

Schuey played another masterful day but this doesn't exactly stand out nowadays does it?
Old 11 May 2004, 17:23 (Ref:967898)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hang on a minute. If Jaques had been out there we'd be voting for him....................... er sorry just got carried away. For a second there I thought it was 1997!
Old 11 May 2004, 18:27 (Ref:967972)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Going for Trulli myself. The first time in along time that he has impressed me, looked very comfortable whilst leading too.

Jarno's a changed man this season, doesn't seem to go to "sleep" mid race, like he has done in the past and imo, generally been the better Renault driver this season.

I reckon he may have done enough to retain his seat for next year!
Old 11 May 2004, 18:40 (Ref:967994)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Got to agree. He is showing signs of being a "proper" racer isn't he?