Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 18 Sep 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1712714)   #1
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Cadwell Incidents

Unfortunately the sprint week-end at Cadwell was blighted by two incidents.

On Saturday Kim Kingham was involved in a heavy shunt after apparently dropping a wheel on the grass. The OMS arrowed accross the track and struck the armco. The impact tore off the front wheels and the car eventually came to halt some distance away thankfully still the right way up. The rescue unit were on the scene in seconds and thanks to the assistance of one of the competitors, an off-duty orthopaedic surgeon, Kim was stabalised. The car had the top of the monocoque cut off so as to get Kim out as she had suffered two broken ankles. The air ambulance then arrived and Kim was air lifted to Lincoln. On Saturday she underwent an operation to pin the worst of the breaks and will remain in hospital whilst treatment on the other ankle is completed. It is hoped that she may well be transferred to a hospital nearer home later this week.

On Sunday Jonathan Varley had an almighty spin at Charlies and after a long trip over the grass hit the tyre wall head on. Once again a rescue unit was there in seconds and and Jonathan was removed from the car and taken to be examined in one of the on-course ambulances. Some time later as he was suffering from neck and shoulder trauma the ambulance was driven into one of the unused car parks and the air ambulance flew in to air lift him to Lincoln.

I feel sure everyone will want to wish Kim and Jonathan a speedy recovery from their injuries.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1712718)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't know them personally but knew a few people who were up there last weekend, something always seems to happen up there - hope they both have a speedy recovery.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1712813)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Latest News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
On Sunday Jonathan Varley had an almighty spin at Charlies and after a long trip over the grass hit the tyre wall head on. Once again a rescue unit was there in seconds and and Jonathan was removed from the car and taken to be examined in one of the on-course ambulances. Some time later as he was suffering from neck and shoulder trauma the ambulance was driven into one of the unused car parks and the air ambulance flew in to air lift him to Lincoln.
Just had a phone call from Jonathan, he is back home and apart from feeling a bit battered & bruised he is fine. The March suffered surprisingly little damage and should be ready to run again by this coming week-end. Jonathan meanwhile will have to await the return of his license.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1712926)   #4
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Saturday Kim Kingham was involved in a heavy shunt after apparently dropping a wheel on the grass. The OMS arrowed accross the track and struck the armco. The impact tore off the front wheels and the car eventually came to halt some distance away thankfully still the right way up. The rescue unit were on the scene in seconds and thanks to the assistance of one of the competitors, an off-duty orthopaedic surgeon, Kim was stabalised. The car had the top of the monocoque cut off so as to get Kim out as she had suffered two broken ankles. The air ambulance then arrived and Kim was air lifted to Lincoln. On Saturday she underwent an operation to pin the worst of the breaks and will remain in hospital whilst treatment on the other ankle is completed. It is hoped that she may well be transferred to a hospital nearer home later this week.

As Observer on post 1/13 (finish line) where this awful accident happened I would like to take this oppertunaty to offer best wishes and a speedy and full recovery to both Kim and her partner.

I would also like to thank the rescue crew for their outstanding responce and professional attitude in dealing with the incident knowing that the crew consisted of a few trainee's. Also I would like to thank the marshals who came from other posts to assist with screens and clearing the track.

I was not at Cadwell on Sunday but wish the other driver well.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 17:50 (Ref:1713085)   #5
chrisjatsea
Rookie

England
chrisjatsea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would just like to echo the statements of Deano from above. As the other Marshall on Post 1/13 ( like Dean I was not there on Sunday) I can agree wholeheartedly with his comments. None of us like to see incidents of this type but when they do occur (as they inevitably will) we can only hope that they are dealt with with the same levels of professionalism shown by those involved in extracting Kim from the car. It was great to see that assistance was offered from both our colleagues on other posts (despite them being stood down as racing had ended for the day) and of course the competitor / doctor who came to assist the medical staff already at hand.

My personal best wishes go to both drivers involved along with the hope that we will see them both behind the wheel again as soon as their injuries allow.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 19:15 (Ref:1713133)   #6
Upside Down Bug
Veteran

England
Kent
Upside Down Bug should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Cadwell for both days and had a very enjoyable two days marshalling.

I was not either of the incidents, but we commented on how rare it is for a sprint to have incidents of this magnitute.

I would like to join the rest in wishing both drivers speedy recoveries from their injuries and aches.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1713161)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Rapid Response

In both incidents British marshals once again proved how professional they are. They were on top of both accidents within seconds. I was some way off both incidents but had a wide view of what occured. I feel sure the competitors at Cadwell were reassured by the way both incidents were handled.

As soon as I have news how Kim is getting on I will post an update.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1713617)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Latest Update 19/09/06

Just had a phone call from Steve Broughton.

Kim is slowly being taken off the pain killing medication and is starting to 'feel uncomfortable'. This is being made worse as the bruising from the seat belts has come through.
The operation on Saturday took a little over 5 hours during which they 'fixed' both ankles.

As soon as a bed becomes free in Epsom Hospital Kim will be transferred South.

Both Steve and Kim were full of praise for the Rescue Unit and Marshals at Cadwell Park and send a big thank you for the superb care that Kim recieved.

More news as and when it comes in!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:18 (Ref:1714016)   #9
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
grichie87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on start line 2 with Steve on Sat and saw the accident from there, by the time we got there the marshall and all the crews were there.

I can not tell you how well the whole thing was taken care off. We all get a bit too comfortable with the safety thing, these guys are the just the best, fantastic team work and the level of care is overwhelming.

The Dr. on site who was a competor was impressive, calm and very much in charge.
The safety crews everywhere deserve all our respect.

Best wishes to all at SBD and hope Kim and Jonathan get better soon

Graham R

Last edited by grichie87; 19 Sep 2006 at 18:22.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 18:55 (Ref:1714040)   #10
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must add my best wishes to Kim for a speedy recovery. Jane Price(wife of Connaught Engines Phil Price) did the same in a Mallock at Lydden, some years ago, at the Elbow. She recovered Ok and went on to have 2 children afterwards.

As an aside, I thought Borough 19 MC did a superb job in running the sprint for the weekend.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1714361)   #11
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Organisational Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out Farr
As an aside, I thought Borough 19 MC did a superb job in running the sprint for the weekend.
The BMSA committee were very impressed with the job done by not only Borough 19 Motor Club but also their joint organising club, Sevenoaks and District Motor Club.

Each year our committee has the task of nominating an event from the British Sprint Championship roster to recieve the Les Edmunds Trophy. This goes to the BEST ORGANISED and RUN event each year. The committee is still in deliberation however the event on Sunday will figure in the top three.

Old 20 Sep 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1714417)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As a member of Sevenoaks that's good to hear, though unfortunately wasn't there for the weekend.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1714492)   #13
Timmo
Rookie

Timmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Cadwell Park competing last Saturday and would like to send a get well message - my 10 year old daughter was will me and it looked very serious
with the sheet ,medics and then the helicopter.

I thought the event apart from the Incident was run very well and would like to thank the organisers

BTW - at the end of the finish I was in 4th gear and had to really hit the brakes hard so maybe next year they could bring it back a bit - cheers

tim
Old 20 Sep 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1714505)   #14
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmo
I was at Cadwell Park competing last Saturday and would like to send a get well message - my 10 year old daughter was will me and it looked very serious
with the sheet ,medics and then the helicopter.

I thought the event apart from the Incident was run very well and would like to thank the organisers

BTW - at the end of the finish I was in 4th gear and had to really hit the brakes hard so maybe next year they could bring it back a bit - cheers

tim
On Sunday the finish line WAS moved back some distance being placed at the end of the BIKE chicane.

I am passing on all good wishes via the SBD team.

The incident was very serious and the way it was dealt with was excellent. I cannot say it often enough, the Marshals and Rescue Unit are to be commended for their handling of what was a VERY serious accident.

Old 20 Sep 2006, 11:11 (Ref:1714555)   #15
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Latest News from Lincoln

Kim was seen by the doctors yesterday and they are happy with the results of the surgery and the progress made so far. They have said she should be able to put weight on her left ankle in approximately 6 weeks, but the right ankle will be longer as this was more severly broken. We are still waiting on news of the transfer to Epsom Hospital.

Old 21 Sep 2006, 10:28 (Ref:1715413)   #16
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Good news from Lincoln

The doctors have given the OK for Kim to be transferred to Epsom Hospital. This should take place within the next few days.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1715527)   #17
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
That is good news,

thanks Steve for keeping us up to date
Old 23 Sep 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1717034)   #18
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
[quote=Steve Wilkinson]The BMSA committee were very impressed with the job done by not only Borough 19 Motor Club but also their joint organising club, Sevenoaks and District Motor Club.

Each year our committee has the task of nominating an event from the British Sprint Championship roster to recieve the Les Edmunds Trophy. This goes to the BEST ORGANISED and RUN event each year. The committee is still in deliberation however the event on Sunday will figure in the top three.

[/It is good to hear that we are in the top 3! a good turn out by B19.
Borris ]
Old 25 Sep 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1718343)   #19
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Very Latest News

Kim was transferred to Epsom over the week-end; details as follows

Epsom General Hospital,
Dorking Road,
Epsom,
Surrey,
KT18 7EG

Bed 3
Chuter EDE Ward
Well Wing.

Please feel free to send get well cards but rather than inundate the hospital with loads of bouquets we thought donations to the Lincolnshire Air Ambulance would be in order. You can find details of how to donate on:

http://beehive.thisislincolnshire.co...1&PageID=84591

I will continue to pass on everyone's good wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 10:58 (Ref:1721925)   #20
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Very Latest Report from Epsom

Dan Pickett was kind enough to arrange a presentation of flowers & a card to Kim on Monday from the British Sprint Championship.

Paul Parker, the British Sprint Championship Co-ordinator, visited Kim yesterday afternoon (Wednesday). She is in fine spirits and is anxious to leave. She had X Rays yesterday, but hadn't had the results by the time of Paul's visit however her release is partly in the hands of the occupational therapist (who may also have been waiting for the results of the X Rays). She has had a bit of physiotherapy which does not involve standing but simply leg muscle and hip movement. She is getting various reports from the different doctors about the immediate prognosis, she was originally told it would be 6 weeks before the left leg (which suffered the worst damage) could carry weight but she has also been told 3 weeks. The right leg, although less badly damaged will take longer to heal because the breaks are in areas where blood supply is not at its greatest.

Both Steve & Kim are hoping they will be present at the Sprint Championship Awards Dinner.
Old 29 Sep 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1722867)   #21
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Even more up to date NEWS

I have just had a phone call from Kim - she must be bored!

She sounds in good spirits and is itching to get home. It is as reported earlier the occupational therapist who is delaying her being sent home however Kim hopes to be released from hospital later next week. Meanwhile she is having regular phisio treatments to help when she can start walking. Interestingly enough the casts on her legs are marked up RIGHT and LEFT as well as being colour coded!

Meanwhile SBD Motorsport has acquired a new chassis off EBay and it is currently undergoing modification. It should prove to be lighter than in original form and far easier to handle. Kim will get her hands on the new wheelchair shortly and hopes that it will handle better than the NHS one she is currently using. Apparently once the visitors have gone home in the evening Kim is terrorizing the corridors!

Kim wishes to thank everyone who has sent in Get Well messages either to SBD Motorsport, via email and direct to the hospital and is already looking forward to the British Sprint Championship Awards evening when she can have a bit more space to get the wheelchair up to speed!
Old 2 Oct 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1725075)   #22
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
it really is good to hear that Kim is doing so well and that she is in such good spirits and that the team are doing the rebuild I look forward to seeing Kim and the rest of the team next year. Keep up the good work.
Old 2 Oct 2006, 14:15 (Ref:1725326)   #23
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
The very latest update on Kimi!

Hopefully the doctors are going to see Kim today (Monday). She is also due to have the staples removed and once that is done Kim is going to try and push them into letting her go home. So fingers crossed!!!

Will keep you posted on any further news.

Old 4 Oct 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1727611)   #24
grichie87
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Kingsdown
Good News About Kim

Recieved from SBD today 4th Oct:

Dear Graham

Thank you for your call last week. I am sorry we did not email you sooner with updates on Kim. However, Kim is being discharged from hospital this morning and being transported home by ambulance. They are allowing her to take the wheel chair with her on loan, so that will make her feel more comfortable. Steve will be staying with Kim, so she will have plenty of support and help. Kim is making excellent progress and I am sure she will be longing to get home.

Take care
Carole

Excellent News, Regards Borris
Old 4 Oct 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1727816)   #25
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
absolutly fabulous news

keep up the excelent progress