Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
Jeremy are you really Mario
Old 23 Jul 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2506481)   #102
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV is past it. Will be a big expensive mistake for USF1 if he is signed by them.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 10:01 (Ref:2506495)   #103
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabodix View Post
First off, hello all.

Re. Guerrieri, I remember him doing the last year of F3000 and being quick, despite being only 19. In fact his pace in all of the series he's competed in has been impressive, but he always seems to be having to take a step back rather than a step forward. From F3000 he dropped back to Formula 3 and as you say he's gone from WSR to racing saloons in his home country. I would assume then that he lacks sufficient funding to progress up the ladder.

The chances of him getting an F1 drive are pretty minimal but I fully agree that he's a quick racer who deserves his chance at a higher level.
Hello jakabodix and welcome to the forum, especially since you're agreeing what I said about Esteban!

Funding is a big problem for him, but he has proved himself in every category in which he has raced and you can't do much better than that.

I just hope that someone can see the wood from the trees and gives him a test. That's all he needs. His ability will take care of the rest. There's even a group on Facebook supporting his claim to an F1 drive in 2010.
Old 23 Jul 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2506525)   #104
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport Aktuell says Max Chilton could be in line for a seat at Manor (via Daddy Chilton buying into the team).
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:14 (Ref:2506558)   #105
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos View Post
Motorsport Aktuell says Max Chilton could be in line for a seat at Manor (via Daddy Chilton buying into the team).
And people think JV would be bad...he'd be 18 making his debut
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2506595)   #106
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
May be barking up the wrong tree here, but...

The Alguersuari thread mentions Torro Rosso chasing Repsol (spanish oil company).

I believe that de la Rosa's family are involved in the oil industry - it is the main source of their wealth - and this is the reason why Repsol have supported de la Rosa throughout his career.

If we're talking about both de la Rosa and Repsol being involved in F1 in 2010, then surely it will be as part of a package deal? Given the family connections, it seems unlikely that they will both end up in different teams i.e. Campos & Torro Rosso?
Remembering that de la rosa had repsol backing at arrows some years back...

Hope Max gets the Manor drive

Will there be any decent drivers who are worthy of F1 in the 3 new teams
Old 23 Jul 2009, 12:55 (Ref:2506602)   #107
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Might as well be Max Mosley in the car......and could well be at this rate
Old 23 Jul 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2506661)   #108
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Now I can see why the word 'silly' appears in the thread title...
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2507095)   #109
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No disrespect to Max Chilton but come on? He's been in F3 for three seasons (two of which he's spent with top teams) and has achieved nothing.

Daddy's got the cash alright http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...5&in_page_id=2 (read down to No.18) but seriously, who makes this stuff up?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2507106)   #110
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

And the stuff that's out there this year! We'll be bringing forward the pay driver thread next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
And for all of you naysayers out there, I've got two words for you that'll change your mind: c'mon!....c'mon!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 20:03 (Ref:2507321)   #111
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Team US F1 are interested in Alex Wurz:
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...for-2010-seat/
Old 24 Jul 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2507323)   #112
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
Team US F1 are interested in Alex Wurz:
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...for-2010-seat/
At last a sensible suggestion.

A brilliant development driver and a great personality, who has an excellent relationship with the people he works with.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2507346)   #113
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
At last a sensible suggestion.

A brilliant development driver and a great personality, who has an excellent relationship with the people he works with.
Who ultimately wasn't that good for Williams after being out of a race seat for so long!
Old 25 Jul 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2507517)   #114
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Who ultimately wasn't that good for Williams after being out of a race seat for so long!
I have to agree, an awfully underwhelming piece of news there.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2507526)   #115
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I have to agree, an awfully underwhelming piece of news there.
Sorry, I have to disagree completely.

It's a horses for courses situation. Williams were looking for results and there was also something of a clash with Rosberg, who wanted to do his own development, rather than be guided by Alex. For all that I seem to remember that he picked up a podium for them in Canada.

USF1 will be very much the new kids on the block and are planning to run probably an inexperienced American driver in the second driver, so having Alex there in the other car is the perfect fit.

As a bonus, I know someone in F1 who has worked with a lot of drivers now, including three World Champions, but if you were to ask him to name his favourite, it would be Alex, no question.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2507531)   #116
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree completely.

USF1 will be very much the new kids on the block and are planning to run probably an inexperienced American driver in the second driver, so having Alex there in the other car is the perfect fit.

As a bonus, I know someone in F1 who has worked with a lot of drivers now, including three World Champions, but if you were to ask him to name his favourite, it would be Alex, no question.
But other than 1996/7 when did Alex ever look like he was gonna set the world alight?

A competent, experienced driver Wurz maybe but there are arguably quicker and some considerably younger drivers around with more recent F1 running who would offer this stability for the kid in the other car that the team thinks it needs.

1/ R Barrichello
2/ A Davidson
3/ C Klien (although he ain't that great either)
4/ N Heidfeld
5/ G Fisichella
6/ V Liuzzi

I could go on......

Alex Wurx would make a great advisor and development guy (if they were allowed to test) but even Alex would probably admit he hasn't got what it would need to be an out and out competitive F1 racer anymore.

The point Windsor made in FP1 is telling, he said they will be aiming for a driver friendly, easy to set up car, to me this suggests they have no idea who will be driving yet and leans towards novices more than old hands perhaps?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2507617)   #117
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
even Alex would probably admit he hasn't got what it would need to be an out and out competitive F1 racer anymore.
I think Alex did admit as much, and jumped before the inevitable push.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2507792)   #118
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
It's not worth taking the discussion any further, because we are talking about different scenarios. We shall simply have to wait and see.

The only driver on your list, chunterer, who I would see as serving a similar role for USF1 would be Anthony Davidson.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2507830)   #119
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rosberg will be at McLaren and Alonso at Ferrari.

I also think that Senna will be in at Brawn one year later than it should've happened; Barrichello will retire and young Rahal will be alongside Wurz or AN OTHER oldie. Campos will have De la Rosa; Manor, well who knows maybe Sato; Force India will have Sutil and Liuzzi and BMW will not have Nick Heidfeld...
Old 25 Jul 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2507846)   #120
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles View Post
Rosberg will be at McLaren and Alonso at Ferrari.

I also think that Senna will be in at Brawn one year later than it should've happened; Barrichello will retire and young Rahal will be alongside Wurz or AN OTHER oldie. Campos will have De la Rosa; Manor, well who knows maybe Sato; Force India will have Sutil and Liuzzi and BMW will not have Nick Heidfeld...
And your thoughts on tonights lottery numbers are ?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2507847)   #121
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, it's a sure thing.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2508202)   #122
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If USF1 have their American hot shot maybe they wouldn't want someone like Davidson who is likely to show their boy up, would sort of defeat the purpose of the 'American' team if a foreigner came in and thrashed their guy...
Old 26 Jul 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2508225)   #123
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taprobane View Post
If USF1 have their American hot shot maybe they wouldn't want someone like Davidson who is likely to show their boy up, would sort of defeat the purpose of the 'American' team if a foreigner came in and thrashed their guy...
Clears throat....

Well there is a danger that a lot of out of work F1 drivers would be able to do that.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2510642)   #124
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Suddenly there are a couple of out-of-work established F1 drivers on the market - Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica. That should shake things up, but will make it even more difficult for a new, young driver to make the breakthrough.

Jaime, you were just in time, mate!
Old 29 Jul 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2510659)   #125
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be fair, there were plenty of established drivers on the market already - Sato, Davidson, Klien, Liuzzi, Ralf, and now Bourdais and probably soon Piquet. And Heidfeld was always likely to be on the market
Closed Thread