Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: The Best Racing Movie of All Time
Grand Prix (1966, starring James Garner) 41 50.62%
Le Mans (1971, starring Steve McQueen) 34 41.98%
Days of Thunder (HA HA HA HA HA HA) 4 4.94%
Other 2 2.47%
Drivel (Driven) 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 Oct 2001, 19:56 (Ref:161070)   #26
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definately not "the chequered flag" absolute pap abbout Indycars from the 80s.. avoid - altho I have a copy on tape!
"une homme et un femme" is class - I bought it for my girlie for valentines.....

Is that continental circus available in the UK? I guess that would be Gong who did the soundtrack would be the bunch that did "flying teapot and the pot head pixies"?? - boy that takes me back to Uni... are they bike freaks? cant imagine mushroom music being ideal for bikes tho!
Old 17 Oct 2001, 01:45 (Ref:161761)   #27
FEV
Rookie

FEV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never really understood the link between Gong and bike racing ?? The guy who made the movie (I think he was from Switzerland but can't remember his name right now) was quite young then, and had quite a psychedelic look too...
Old 17 Oct 2001, 19:20 (Ref:162168)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Peter Sauber......?

Old 18 Oct 2001, 04:28 (Ref:162350)   #29
Gerr
Rookie

Gerr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most racing films are fiction and the racing is used as the background "dangerous profession".
The only film I can think of(that I have seen) that tries to document actual racing history is "Heart Like A Wheel" based on the early life of Shirley Muldowney. I would like to see "The Last American Hero" which is based on Junior Johnson's
moonshining and racing. Both these films received critical praise.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 04:40 (Ref:162352)   #30
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Both Grand Prix and The Racers have excellent footage of some great cars, and of course Grand Prix also has shots of some very famous drivers. The plots are not hte best in either film, and Kirk Douglas's line: "Don't wish me luck, say Into the Lion's Den" has got to be the corniest line in any movie.
Man and Woman (French) has some superb shots of the GT40, and a wonderful story and music, but it is not a racing car film per se.
Old 19 Oct 2001, 01:27 (Ref:162714)   #31
FEV
Rookie

FEV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read this summer in a french cinema magazine that Paul Newman was shooting a documentary on Willy T. Ribbs' come back to racing via the NCTS. Well I think WTR just got fired from his Dodge team before season end so I don't know what will become the project...

Aysedasi
Peter Sauber......? Good one !
Old 19 Oct 2001, 12:29 (Ref:162876)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I guess Peter Sauber must have been young once (although whether he could ever be described as "psychedelic", I'm not so sure!!).

Old 20 Oct 2001, 11:42 (Ref:163222)   #33
dmj
Rookie

dmj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked a British movie about motorcycle racing called "Silver dream", starring David Essex, who wrote the music also. I saw it as a kid and it made an impression, but now I really can't tell would I like it if I see it again...
But I recently saw whole "Love bug" series again and I really liked it - and some of racing is really amazing.
Old 20 Oct 2001, 18:30 (Ref:163308)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I can't believe that (as I write) this topic has been viewed 368 times and yet only 18 viewers have voted? Why?!

Old 20 Oct 2001, 19:01 (Ref:163313)   #35
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must have viewed it at least 20 times.If the other 18 voters have the same interest that would add up.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 07:59 (Ref:163453)   #36
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
dmj, stick with the childhood memories of "Silver Dream Racer". It really does exhibit everything that was dodgy about the British film industry in the late 1970s.

David Essex is trying to be Barry Sheene so much it's painful. And of course there's the token American baddie in it, played with as much dignity as he could muster by Beau Bridges.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 08:35 (Ref:163462)   #37
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
dmj, stick with the childhood memories of "Silver Dream Racer". It really does exhibit everything that was dodgy about the British film industry in the late 1970s.

David Essex is trying to be Barry Sheene so much it's painful. And of course there's the token American baddie in it, played with as much dignity as he could muster by Beau Bridges.
I loved the "experimental" Bike.... looked like I made it in 1st year metalwork classes!! What a shocker... still David Essex is a West Ham fan so I cant slag him toooooo much!
Old 16 Nov 2001, 12:59 (Ref:175438)   #38
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw Days of Thunder in the cinema three times and loved it, started to watch it once on TV and got bored. Obvious where the appeal lies in that one.

I don't recall having seen Grand Prix or Le Mans, obviously errors I must correct, and soon!

Interestingly, earlier posts have mentioned "The Green Helmet" and Roy Salvadori, well a chap in my car club now owns and races Roy Salvadori's works Cooper Climax from the '62 GP season and coincidentally he also owns and races the Lister Jaguar which was featured in the film "The Green helmet." Also, this car finished 4th at Le Man in 1959.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 16:38 (Ref:175510)   #39
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be "Grand Prix". If not for it, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you rubes today.

Technically, it pioneered many on-car camera techniques we take for granted today.
Old 14 Jul 2003, 22:27 (Ref:661222)   #40
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about 'The Fast And The Furious'?

Old 14 Jul 2003, 22:34 (Ref:661228)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where did you dig up this old thread?

Hmmmmm. Le Mans is out on DVD now...
Old 15 Jul 2003, 03:44 (Ref:661373)   #42
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought a new VHS copy of Le Mans last fall so it's still out there. I liked GP, but the staged sequences with the F-3 cars detracts quite a bit. Bobby Deerfield has some good race sequences, but the story drags. I have not seen the story of Shirley Muldowney "Heart Like A Wheel" starring Bonnie Bedelia. Winning is good. It was also the beginning of Paul Newman's interest in motorsports. "To Please A Lady" is good with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Neat olt time Indy Cars when they all looked like Champ Dirt Cars. "The Big Wheel" with Mickey Rooney and Willian Bendix goes back even further to board tracks. Driven should NOT be.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 04:10 (Ref:661395)   #43
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember one movie made back in the thirties about two Indycar-driving brothers where the older brother crashed the younger brother in a race to convince him to retire and focus on becoming a lawyer; his car flew through the barriers and crashed into a chicken coup about a quarter-mile away. The younger brother then outdrags a passenger train the older brother takes from a track in central California to Los Angeles. The younger brother then has an affair with a woman whom the older brother used to be romantically involved with. It somehow ended up at Indianapolis. A really dumb movie, even by today's standards.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 04:58 (Ref:661406)   #44
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix. I'm sorry, LeMans put me to sleep... Great footage, and I worship Steve McQueen, but it just wasn't a good movie.

Y'know, I just realized! The best movie isn't on this list! Where's "On Any Sunday"?!?!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 05:44 (Ref:661422)   #45
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans had no plot and no direction. They spent three whole minutes dropping the stinking flag! The movie was centered around McQueen, but yet he crashed with half an hour left? Who are those women hanging around the pits? There is no story, and that's why the production of the film was like hell for the cast and crew; no one had any idea of what they should have been doing. At least in other racing movies, there is a storyline, even if it usually involves a love triangle between two drivers and a curvy blonde.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 06:37 (Ref:661432)   #46
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Grand Prix. I'm sorry, LeMans put me to sleep... Great footage, and I worship Steve McQueen, but it just wasn't a good movie.

Y'know, I just realized! The best movie isn't on this list! Where's "On Any Sunday"?!?!
Lee you read my mind, is "on any sunday" a film with footage of the early 70's?? I think I've seen it - vaguely recall stuff about Peter Revson and Shadow in it - is that the one? I think it dealt with the darker side of the sport and so was kind of ignored by the motor racinge stablishment - have I got the right film?
Old 15 Jul 2003, 08:15 (Ref:661483)   #47
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an excellent West Coast film whose main claim to fame is girls take their kit off and the boys get to drive Austin 1100's - this was the early sixties mind you - were they ever cool ? As well as Rendezvous being reissued earlier this year I believe today is also the release date at last of Un Homme et Une Femme on DVD

I've just read my earlier post - seem to be obsessed by the babes - the film has many titles including Redline 7000

Last edited by josvandeperre; 15 Jul 2003 at 08:17.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 09:51 (Ref:661548)   #48
C R Box
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
C R Box should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Best Racing Movie of All Time

Quote:
Originally posted by zealot
It's time to settle it once and for all – What is the greatest racing movie ever made?
I recomend the recently rediscovered 9 minute french DVD Rendevous.
Shrouded in legend and controversy,it fetures an unconfirmed GP driver racing through the streets of Paris, in possibly a Ferrari 275 GTB. It has been confirmed that no special effects were used. Unbelievable......even today.
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:42 (Ref:661588)   #49
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leadfoot!!

Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander_48
"The Big Wheel" with Mickey Rooney and Willian Bendix goes back even further to board tracks. Driven should NOT be.
Was it this film that had the song:
"Leadfoot!

coming through the corners!

Leadfoot!

Shooting through the curves!! etc

Mickey Rooney sawing away at the wheel - great stuff!!
Old 15 Jul 2003, 10:52 (Ref:661603)   #50
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic MOTORCYCLE documentary

Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
Lee you read my mind, is "on any sunday" a film with footage of the early 70's?? I think I've seen it - vaguely recall stuff about Peter Revson and Shadow in it - is that the one? I think it dealt with the darker side of the sport and so was kind of ignored by the motor racinge stablishment - have I got the right film?
Wrong!!!

Bruce Brown (of Endless Summer fame) produced the definitive Motorcycle documentary film On Any Sunday with a haunting soundtrack. Watch Sheene (R.I.P. Barry) get off at 180 mph at Daytona etc

I watch it annually!!