Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 7 Oct 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2555761)   #26
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
The floor pan filling with water overnight, to the point where it flowed over my feet as I opened the car door in the morning is my first abiding memory, and one of many.
That just shows the build quality of the vehicle's floorplan, in that it was watertight - and that the doors fitted nicely as well.

The leaking roof, well that must have been a different union/dept.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2555838)   #27
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
i've always had a hankering for something a bit different, like a Ford Edsel or a Morris Marina.

Designs way ahead of their time, cars built by craftsmen, not robots !!
A Marina? You're having a laugh.The car which proved beyond all doubt (not that there was any in any sane person's mind) that BL/Austin/Rover (or whatever the hell the shambles was called that year) ought to have been closed and bulldozed so that the taxpayer could have danced on its grave.

Please don't confuse "old" with "classic" or valuable.

Regards

Jim
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2555848)   #28
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is all interesting, but is most definitely not a marshals' discussion. Question is, which forum - road car or classics. I'll have a ruminate and move it later. Sheila, if you have a preference of those two, I'm happy to take your suggestion.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 12:52 (Ref:2555866)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Morris Minor preferably a drop head. Real practical classic as economical to run and maintain and usually very reliable and an appreciating asset. Old boy across the road from me has just finished a complete ground up resto on the original van he started his successful plumbing business with in the 70's and I have helped him set up and tune the engine, great old tub and all the bits are readily available.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2555932)   #30
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
A Marina? You're having a laugh.The car which proved beyond all doubt (not that there was any in any sane person's mind) that BL/Austin/Rover (or whatever the hell the shambles was called that year) ought to have been closed and bulldozed so that the taxpayer could have danced on its grave.

Please don't confuse "old" with "classic" or valuable.

Regards

Jim
well sorry but i do take offense at this post. (ex Leyland trucks worker)
it's people saying things like this that has caused rover group to disappear with all those jobs gone...

and BL/Austin, morris/ rover vehicles were very under estimated,
and had no more faults that ford, vauxhall etc cars..

I've had many BL cars in my time, and not had much problems with any, even ones 15yrs old.. and the new company car fords I've been stuck with live in the dealer..

so back to the thread subject
find a nice BL vehicle, easy to work on, reliable, and parts available..
depends on what your intended use of the vehicle? shows, racing, using??
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:31 (Ref:2555953)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Ever owned a five speed Allegro or Maxi or a Princess or that awful 6 cylinder version of the Austin 1800? Infact ever tried to fix a wretched 5 speed Maxi box, I have when I had my garage and they were the pits, horrible unreliable design, always hopping out of gear complete rubbish. BL bought this on themselves with appaling development work and a surley strike prone staff and poor quality control. Can you for example imagine a company that has a fantastic V8 engine on their books (Rover Buick) but decides no we can do better than those damned yanks so we will build and design our own with our new prestigious sports car (Truimph Stag which would have been great with the Rover V8) it will only weigh a bit more (yeah right!). What a cock up and what a totally awful engine, has anyone seen so long a single timing chain on any engine ever that used to stretch and break with devastating consequenses on a regular basis then when it did and bent all the valves you coudnt get the heads off the pig even if they had blown a head gasket which was another thing they were fond of! Who ever made that 'executive' decision should have been hung for treason.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2555957)   #32
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
it's people saying things like this that has caused rover group to disappear with all those jobs gone...
If only it were that simple! One of BL's biggest problems was that they used their customers as development engineers - Mini floorpan leaks, Maxi cable gearchange, etc., etc. The Marina was a panic measure rushed to market to competein the fleet at a time when BL's front wheel drive cars were too expensive to buy& costly to run for fleet buyers to even consider them. So, they cobbled together & cheap-to-build car using a lot of Morris Minor components; unfortunately the cars released for the press launch were a classic case of underdevelopment - massive understeer & drum brakes which just didn't stop the car were two of the major problems. The latter of those problems earned a lot of overtime for some of my colleagues involved in the panic programme to develop a brake lining material which was up to the job!

BL, as did many British companies, dug itself into a hole by failing to invest & develop new products when times were good - the old "it's selling well, why replace it?" attitude. By the time they realised that they needed new products the money had run out; add to that strong, militant unions & weak management & you had the recipe for disaster.

Quote:
and BL/Austin, morris/ rover vehicles were very under estimated,
and had no more faults that ford, vauxhall etc cars..
The kindest thing I can say about some, but by no means all, of BL's products is that, deep down, there was a good car trying to get out. . .
Old 7 Oct 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2555989)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And what about the Range Rover, everytime I went out in my old classic something else fell off! And eventually despite the chassis and body looking good and sound the bit between the chassis and the body rusted so bad the thing was scrap as it would have need a body off overhaul to renovate it!
Old 7 Oct 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2556046)   #34
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a nice old A35 or A40 - my first two cars and still have a soft spot for them (no, not the gravel trap!) when I see those models out on track .....
Old 7 Oct 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2556200)   #35
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go for an original 60s/70s Lotus Europa
Old 8 Oct 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2556436)   #36
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about a Dolomite Sprint? I had a Dolly once (not a Sprint, unfortunately) and it was a lovely car. Best gearbox I've ever used.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2556973)   #37
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-steve View Post
well sorry but i do take offense at this post. (ex Leyland trucks worker)
No sorry Sparky Steve, it was rubbish design, spoilt implementation ruining/concealing some decent engineering, suicidal unions and outbreaks of disgraceful assembly which doomed BL. Shame it took so long.

(Nothing I said should be taken as applying to Leyland trucks about which I have no knowledge.)

Regards

Jim
Old 8 Oct 2009, 20:59 (Ref:2556978)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Sorry Shelagh for the hijack!

Obviously it all depends on the budget (and Bill's appetite for car maintenance ).

How about an older Westfield? With a garage you need only bring it out when the sun shines.

Regards

Jim
Old 9 Oct 2009, 07:59 (Ref:2557302)   #39
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

It's got to be an Anglia ! This one is still in my workshop.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Oct 2009, 16:19 (Ref:2557601)   #40
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about a Triumph Spitfire ?

Not that I've any experience of restoring one, but nice little car
Old 10 Oct 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2558141)   #41
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched "the Graduate" on TV last night - it's got to be an Alfa Spyder!
Old 11 Oct 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2559162)   #42
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There are some great suggestions in here.

The MGB suggestion is good because there is such an industry around this you won'y be sort of help and parts. Working on it yourself you can do worse than a smaller car with a 4 pot in it.