Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 5 Mar 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1536586)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pre War Saloon Cars

Survival of Pre War saloons, particularly from the Vintage era, on the more sporty chassis, is fairly low. Unfortunately, when it comes to restoring them, so many owners have the saloon bodies discarded or scrapped and choose to put replica open touring or sports bodies on. It is therefore all the more splendid to find one of the survivors in good health. Here is a Vauxhall of the 1920's with such body. I'm guessing this maybe a rare saloon bodied 30/98, but I don't actually know for sure. Can anyone tell me about it and who the body was by?

Old 5 Mar 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1536922)   #2
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John
I am guessing, but I think this is a modern recreation by Nic Portway. I have seen the actual vehicle before and it has featured in VSCC Bulletins but I can't immediately lay my hands on the authority. Will look further - beats watching telly!
Tony Hodson
Old 6 Mar 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1537204)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Tony, thanks; I'd love to learn more. If it is a recreation, it's highly commendable that it should be one of a saloon rather than the usual more sporting or touring body.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1537350)   #4
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I can award myself 10/10 - it's not often I get these things right!

According to VSCC Bulletin Autumn 03 the car is a 30/98 (which you knew) No OE278 which was a rusty chassis 5 years before that, restored by Mr Portway with a body of his own design. As you say a commendable effort in these fake sports car times.

It looks as though the photo was taken in the barren wastes of Silverstone so you may get the chance to speak to the owner at the next April meeting. Seems an ideal mode of transport to me!

Tony Hodson
Old 6 Mar 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1537557)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thank you Tony, and a great effort by Mr Portway. The picture was indeed taken at Silverstone at the VSCC meeting there last April.

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Mar 2006 at 21:35.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1537568)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Another taken on the same day. This time built a bit later; early 30's (so just post vintage?) Lagonda but I don't know the model type. Anyone like to enlighten me, please?

Old 7 Mar 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1539764)   #7
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like a two litre low chassis model to me - the same chassis type as used by Captain Hastings in the Poirot series on TV. If so, they are good on styling (long bonnet, low rakish lines etc) but sadly lacking in the power department!

Duncan

Edited to add - Nic Portway is married to Judy Portway who has been on the VSCC Committee, and is daughter of Kenneth Neve one of the "names" in the early days of the Club. Both Nic and Judy are excellent approachable people that have put a lot into the Club.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1540554)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yes, very elegant Duncan, but agree it would be underpowered with only 2-litre engine. What about this one? A couple of years later than the above model?

Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1547977)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Later still, a circa 1937 Aston Martin 15/98 4 door saloon beautifully restored by Dr. T.C. Rollason. As if Aston's aren't rare enough, very few saloon examples survive, so another well done, this time to Dr Rollason!

Old 24 Mar 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1559568)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Rather grainy picture of a 1939 MG SA taken at Blindley Heath in July 1988:-

Old 27 Jun 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1642445)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
How about this lovely 1935 MG KN Magnette saloon, photographed at the big MGCC International gathering at Silverstone, last weekend:-

For obvious reasons, I have removed Peter Prosser's telephone no. from the history board, but if anyone has any of the information requested, please post it here and I will ensure that it is passed on.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 02:59 (Ref:1643103)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is one from the Winton historic races last month, a Triumph. Perhaps someone will be able to identify it, I don’t know what model it was, and there was no indication of what year it was manufactured as it is on a club permit not normal registration.

Link to larger photo

ps I am still working on a thread for the cars at Winton, I have put the photos up, and written the posts but the links I had used were incorrect so I will have to re-do them when I get time. In the meantime the gallery can be accessed via the link above.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:02 (Ref:1814733)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
As an excuse for resurrecting this thread, I've noted that Stanley Mann Racing has an original saloon bodied 1929 Bentley Speed Six for sale for a very cool £375K!
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:19 (Ref:1814750)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Another from the April 2006, VSCC meeting at Silverstone. This is a Riley; I believe a 9 Monaco from what; around 1930?:-

Old 15 Jan 2007, 05:58 (Ref:1815479)   #15
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Just looked through some old photos John, however no prewar sporting saloons to be found, only some non-sporting ones eg Rolls Royce, Model T Ford. That is unless you consider hotrods to be sporting saloons?
Old 22 Jan 2007, 02:45 (Ref:1821407)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
As an excuse for resurrecting this thread, I've noted that Stanley Mann Racing has an original saloon bodied 1929 Bentley Speed Six for sale for a very cool £375K!
Until it gets removed from the Stanley Mann site, here is a photo to add to this thread

Old 22 Jan 2007, 18:13 (Ref:1821941)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, but did you get his permission? I might have to remove it, otherwise!
Old 23 Jan 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1822332)   #18
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Hmm, reply might incriminate methinks... sorry about that! Next time I will post the link.

A couple of photos I got Sunday were sedans from the thirties (not quite Vintage era but still prone to losing sedan bodies), a Riley Kestrel, Bentley and Vauxhall. No info on the first two cars so I am guessing, but I think the Riley might be a 1937 model, and the Bentley a 3 ½ or 4 ¼ litre Derby built car (the radiator looks different from the earlier cars). The Vauxhall was a 1932 T80B Silent Eighty. There were a few Vintage cars, but they were mostly tourers!

Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:49 (Ref:1824608)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That Bentley is interesting. Certainly a later style rad. but the body looks pre Derby to me.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 09:12 (Ref:1847863)   #20
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
roadmap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a monstrosity the Big Bentley saloon was. Neither wonder it put WO into liquidation. I have driven one. You need to be superman to turn the steering wheel. Its very cumbersome to drive, ok it will touch ninety on a motorway at about 4mpg, It creaks like an old boat, you cant park it unless you have a warehouse and
unless you spend close to 1m$ you are not likely to get near a Concourse De Elegance. Even then the french and dare I say Americans were at the peak of their coachbuilding so it looks very dated beside the more exotic machinery of the day. It may be nostalgic (British) tractor engineering but it serves no purpose. Its an expensive folly that will give some new owner (probably under 5' ) a feeling of masculinity.
When WO went to earn his crust at RR, he had an involvement of sorts with the Derbys. What wonderful cars they are and some of the bodywork produced is exquisite. A light lovely sports saloon, easy to drive and park, lively performance with near 100mph on tap and still you got over 20mpg. All of the successful British racing drivers , speed record holders had one as their everyday transport . Even Bira had a few. Eddie Hall campaigned them sucessfully. A far cry from the 8 litre truck that in my book at over £300k should be nearer £75k. A few brave men have tried to knock them into specials and using the 3 litre chassis a few managed to construct some rapid specials but they are only specials that other than the BDC sprints cannot get an entry now at any events.
Love stirring it up.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1848009)   #21
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
http://www.webentory.com/billboards/1675/5671.jpg

A Derby Bentley
Old 22 Feb 2007, 12:52 (Ref:1848034)   #22
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmap
What a monstrosity the Big Bentley saloon was. Neither wonder it put WO into liquidation. I have driven one. You need to be superman to turn the steering wheel. Its very cumbersome to drive, ok it will touch ninety on a motorway at about 4mpg, It creaks like an old boat, you cant park it unless you have a warehouse and
unless you spend close to 1m$ you are not likely to get near a Concourse De Elegance. Even then the french and dare I say Americans were at the peak of their coachbuilding so it looks very dated beside the more exotic machinery of the day. It may be nostalgic (British) tractor engineering but it serves no purpose. Its an expensive folly that will give some new owner (probably under 5' ) a feeling of masculinity.
When WO went to earn his crust at RR, he had an involvement of sorts with the Derbys. What wonderful cars they are and some of the bodywork produced is exquisite. A light lovely sports saloon, easy to drive and park, lively performance with near 100mph on tap and still you got over 20mpg. All of the successful British racing drivers , speed record holders had one as their everyday transport . Even Bira had a few. Eddie Hall campaigned them sucessfully. A far cry from the 8 litre truck that in my book at over £300k should be nearer £75k. A few brave men have tried to knock them into specials and using the 3 litre chassis a few managed to construct some rapid specials but they are only specials that other than the BDC sprints cannot get an entry now at any events.
Love stirring it up.
wonderfull words on the Derby Bentley for the 10 10th forum. I still didn't manage to take mine to the track as transport ,to add a bit of Raymond Mays feel (he had 3 Derby Bentleys!!!) ? As I would say its the BMW M5 of the 30ties but then with style.
Old 22 Feb 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1848093)   #23
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
The (M5) Derbys

Get it out on the track.

There are a few out and about and they do very well. My Derby isnt a saloon its a drophead and it did 3 Montes in the nineties , the trans pennine and numerous club events. I took it to Klausen this year as a spectator and it just sailed past all the other prewar stuff and a lot of postwar chicanes.

Roll on the summer.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 04:31 (Ref:1849625)   #24
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Hi roadmap, what model do you think the car above is? I had a short ride in a Derby Bentley a few years back, it was just through town so I didn't get a real feel for the car. Comments that the 6cyl Bentley saloons were outdated are not surprising given they were quite similar to the original 3L car from several years earlier, effectively stood still while others advanced.
Old 23 Feb 2007, 10:46 (Ref:1849778)   #25
roadmap
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
I cannot tell. Its a WO , it might be original and you have to ignore the mascot and cannot see a rad badge, as they mean nothing if its a rebuilt car anyway. It could be any of them. It looks quite a high line and doesnt look to long so could be a speed 6 but there again if its a special, who knows.

The 3, 4.5, 6 and 8 litre cars did suffer from unimaginative bodywork design in the latter years with exceptions but the 8 litre folly and the final pedestrian 4 litre on the huge 8 litre chassis finally killed them off.

The UK car manufacturers forgot the one cardinal rule in the business that the only constant factor in the car business is that it changes and if you dont change then you dont survive.

Thats why today we have foreign owned cars being manufactured in the UK. Ironically a lot designed by British designers. A little known fact is though that we export more cars today then we ever did.