Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Feb 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1523590)   #1
Marcos Skaife
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Marcos Skaife has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
New Zealand Street Race

Just saw on the morning news that Pukekohe is to be replaced with a street race in Hamilton. Somewhere in the suburb of Frankton in fact. Last races at Puke will be this year ,then Hamilton is contracted for the next 8.

Don`t know what I think of that and did anyone know this was happening?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1523647)   #2
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i just heard that on the radio
Old 15 Feb 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1523681)   #3
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The series is sinking further and further every day.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:07 (Ref:1523692)   #4
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say why tie yourself to Hamiltron (city of the future) for so long cause Hamptons downs will open up also Taupo with redevelopment I have heard the track is located only a minutes walk from town so that will be good but 8 years is a long time.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1523707)   #5
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

All the details can be found here - will be from 2008 IF it happens - they don't have resource consent yet, and didn't we have all this excitement before from Auckland and Wellington???
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1523726)   #6
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Last year New Zealand driver Greg Murphy also said he would favour a street circuit for the sake of the motor-racing public. "It's not a case of wanting a street race - New Zealand fans deserve an event like that."

hmm i thought nz fans wanted to see a lot passing and good hard racing?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1523753)   #7
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News, though the regular people will now run out their tired old "grass roots" arguements
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1523776)   #8
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this anything like the track extensions that were due to be done at Taupo to help them snare not only the V8's but other 'world class' events?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1523780)   #9
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Reading that article - interesting that the contract is between the Hamilton council and AVESCO - hopefully their reporte is just a little behind the times or this is wishful thinking that Hamilton are dealing with a company that no longer exists!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:16 (Ref:1523782)   #10
stalks
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
stalks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo extensions are nearly finished having there first meeting on the new track next month
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:18 (Ref:1523784)   #11
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Good to hear - what's this though? 2, 3? years after they were supposed to be finished?
Old 15 Feb 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1523817)   #12
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems strange to talk about an 8 year contract for a street race that hasn't even been proven to be successful. What if its a flop like Canberra supposedly was...

I like Pukekohe, I wish they'd stay there. Or make it an *additional* NZ round.

I'd rather the kiwis get an extra round than the middle east or china. And its easier for more Australians to attend.
Old 15 Feb 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1523856)   #13
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Seems strange to talk about an 8 year contract for a street race that hasn't even been proven to be successful. What if its a flop like Canberra supposedly was...

I like Pukekohe, I wish they'd stay there. Or make it an *additional* NZ round.

I'd rather the kiwis get an extra round than the middle east or china. And its easier for more Australians to attend.
There is one problem, the horsey set, they are not interested in the track. The money made from the race track mostly goes back into horse facilities. Remember the comment made by the Racing Club when it was announced Pukekohe till 2007? Something along the lines of "great the money generated from these races will go straight into the new horse stables" I have also heard Hampton Downs has run into resource consent problems, apparantly the Taniwha has raised its head again. Maybe we should relocate the Taniwha to lake Taupo, much nicer than the polluted Waikato River!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1523873)   #14
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
V8 racing around Lake Taupo - as long as they can dodge the floating pumice they should go OK! (Just imagine having to pit for a radiator holed by a piece of floating lave lighter than a ream of paper)
Old 15 Feb 2006, 23:11 (Ref:1523886)   #15
Vanilla Dice
Veteran

MagnetON
Hope Island Resort
Vanilla Dice has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Is this the Queensland Raceway replacement round for the year?

666 posts... over... and OUT..!
Old 15 Feb 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1523902)   #16
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
Actually - a press release has just bene issued by V8SA - the race goes to Hamilton in 2008 (not 2007):

Quote:
Hamilton has secured the rights to New Zealand’s only round of the V8 Supercar Championship with a proposed street race starting from 2008.

Hamilton mayor Michael Redman says the city has been working for nearly a year to position Hamilton as the exclusive New Zealand host city for the international event in an arena of fierce national and international competition.

V8 Supercars Australia agreed for a further two-year extension for the PlaceMakers V8 Supercars at Pukekohe Park Raceway this year and finally in 2007, with a preference for a street race for a further seven years from 2008.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:06 (Ref:1523924)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
Is this anything like the track extensions that were due to be done at Taupo to help them snare not only the V8's but other 'world class' events?
Yes, with Peter Brock and Ross Palmer getting behind it to bring the ProCar Series to NZ and Taupo.

The track does look good on a map - havent seen it in person.

There is still much speculation around it all, with conflicting stories rising to the top.

All I can say is that Hamilton have played an ace and won a Queen and huge congratulations to them. The circuit will be interesting. It is very, very good and sticks it to those who said it could, then it couldn't, happen in their backyard.

A rail link and internationally-capable airport will add to the success.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1523929)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyline
V8 racing around Lake Taupo - as long as they can dodge the floating pumice they should go OK! (Just imagine having to pit for a radiator holed by a piece of floating lave lighter than a ream of paper)
Errr... a Taniwha is a mythical Maori monster. Imagine that - something that doesn't exist causing issues for something that wants to exist...

Evomike was eluding to relocating the taniwha near Hampton Downs down to Lake Taupo, where it has a much larger body of water to spend its days.

It shouldn't be a big problem to relocate something that doesn't exist. Of course, a mythical monster would hardly want to dwell with real monsters located in a prison facility that will neighbour the proposed circuit, would it?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 00:32 (Ref:1523936)   #19
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparantly it is a capatalist taniwha, it was happy to coexist with the prison after a large sum was paid
Old 16 Feb 2006, 02:12 (Ref:1523974)   #20
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My brother is going to be really please with this news, he doesn't follow motorsport and he lives in Frankton - bugger!!!
Old 16 Feb 2006, 02:27 (Ref:1523976)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

I guess he will be blessed by the presence of at least one of the Shepparton Mafia then, Trev?

You can get a direct flight in from Tullamarine as you will no doubt be aware.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 04:49 (Ref:1524028)   #22
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Well this should be a goer,using streets that wont affect traffic flows like Auckland and Wellington,and theres no basket weavers or vegeterian tree huggers in Hamilton to complain.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1524131)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton wouldn't have been my first choice, but I don't mind it to much. Could be worse like Gisborne or Invercargill.

I remember those streets pretty well and it doesn't seem to be a long course nor a scenic one.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1524146)   #24
jjd
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
jjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomike
Apparantly it is a capatalist taniwha, it was happy to coexist with the prison after a large sum was paid
Uncle Ngatanga sits in his lounge fretting, "Damn, I'm pretty sure that's where I buried Aunty Watangiwhalangi after she found me boning my 14 year old niece after drinking those crates of Lion Red outside the TAB in Porirua that day."

Is that the same taniwha?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1524150)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd
Uncle Ngatanga sits in his lounge fretting, "Damn, I'm pretty sure that's where I buried Aunty Watangiwhalangi after she found me boning my 14 year old niece after drinking those crates of Lion Red outside the TAB in Porirua that day."

Is that the same taniwha?

Nup! Miles out! Think about it - too far to drag the body. And very, very rough too, jjd. Careful, or you may end up like Vanilla Dice!!