Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Jun 2002, 19:35 (Ref:306655)   #1
PPitstop
Rookie

PPitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Park Races Cancelled

It is with great regret that I have to post this topic. But it has been confirmed by Motorsport Ireland that the annual Phoenix Park races have been cancelled for 2002.
This is one of the highlights of Irish motorsport. Hopefully it will be back on track next year for the centenary races in 2003

Last edited by PPitstop; 6 Jun 2002 at 19:36.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 20:05 (Ref:306686)   #2
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sad, sad news indeed. I look forward to "The Park" every year and I'm sorely disappointed at it being cancelled this year. I guess we'll have to wait until next year.
Old 6 Jun 2002, 20:10 (Ref:306691)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
it is sad but from what I've heard, I think that they'll use the resources saved this year to put together something really special for the centenery next year?

And if anyone is stuck for something to do, don't forget there is a Kart meet at Mondello on the Sunday and the Monday and it's one of the biggest ones of the year. Marshals always welcome!
Old 6 Jun 2002, 20:40 (Ref:306710)   #4
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure hope thats the reason EP but its good to know there is still something else on that weekend, thanks
Old 11 Jun 2002, 19:02 (Ref:310863)   #5
wickedwitch
Racer

SAD NEWS - Press Release

The following is the press release the was issued on behalf of the organising clubs and from Motorsport Ireland. Thanks to Chris for posting it originally.

Quote:
FUTURE OF PHOENIX PARK RACES IN DOUBT

2002 Meeting Cancelled

Historic Centenary on Hold

One of the World’s oldest sporting events, the Phoenix Park Motor Races, may cease to be. The event, which is due to celebrate its centenary in 2003 has been cancelled for this year due to lack of adequate funding. Plans to celebrate what would be an historic centenary for motorsport worldwide, have been put on hold pending a full review and exploration of other possible sources of funding.

This announcement was made at 10.30 am on June 5th by Motorsport Ireland, the governing body for motorsport in Ireland, and the two clubs that promote the Phoenix Park Races each year, the Irish Motor Racing Club and Leinster Motor Club.

While the news that the 2002 event has been cancelled will be a major source of disappointment to motorsport enthusiasts all over Ireland, the fact that centenary celebrations have been put on hold will be a major cause of concern throughout the worldwide motorsport community.

The Phoenix Park Motor Races, is one of the oldest events on the world motorsport calendar. In the early days the Phoenix Park was the venue for the Irish Grand Prix for a number of years. Plans for the centenary celebrations included a festival of historic cars from all of the golden ages of world motorsport.

While plans have been put on hold for the 2003 celebrations Motorsport Ireland has set aside €100,000 for work on resurfacing parts of the Phoenix Park circuit in the current year. Cecil Sparks, Chairman of Motorsport Ireland said that the decision to allocate funds for re-surfacing works had been taken as Motorsport Ireland wish to ensure that the proper infrastructure can be put in place should the necessary funding can be found to go ahead with the 2003 celebrations.

He noted that while Duchas, the authority responsible for the Phoenix Park, had been most supportive and sympathetic in all of their dealings with Motorsport Ireland, that they were not in a position to commit funding to the resurfacing of the roads and “without the resurfacing there would be absolutely no chance of going ahead with centenary celebrations in 2003. Even with the €100,000 which we are allocating further work still needs to be done. We will be utilising the time to discuss possible ways of getting this funding from the relevant authorities. It is our belief that some of the roads are public roads and do need resurfacing. While we realise that we need to help with any such works Motorsport Ireland would never be in a position to raise the total funding needed to resurface the whole circuit.

“As it happens the monies which we are allocating to resurfacing the roads, in effect means that we have no additional funding available to support a race meeting in the Park this year. We have discussed this matter with the two organising clubs and they are fully supportive of the position we have taken. It is all our hopes that we will get support for what will be an historic occasion for motorsport worldwide in 2003.

“We are obviously very disappointed at having to cancel this year’s meeting as it will leave a major gap in the Irish motorsport calendar.

It is difficult to reconcile our situation with what happens in other countries. One has only to look at Australia, which also promotes racing in a centre city park to see what can be achieved. It is easy to forget that the Australian Grand Prix takes place in a venue similar to our own Phoenix Park. The potential is huge”.
Old 17 Jun 2002, 17:41 (Ref:315545)   #6
wickedwitch
Racer

Psssst - just heard a rumour about this from a reliable source - watch this space and don't make any other plans yet

Last edited by wickedwitch; 17 Jun 2002 at 17:42.
Old 25 Jun 2002, 14:50 (Ref:321294)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Looks like Karts will be cancelled as well I'm afraid. Certainly the next one is cancelled and unless Mondello is modified, they will be cancelled for the foreseeable future.

*sigh*
Old 26 Jul 2002, 09:55 (Ref:343228)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Well one bit of good news - at time of writing (and this is always subject to change of course) the Karts at Mondello Park are back on - 4th and 5th of August.

All marshals welcome - if you want further details (although right now there aren't any!), send me a PM or an email
Old 26 Jul 2002, 18:49 (Ref:343570)   #9
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will Alien Marshal be there too ??? Might be a nice opportunity to bring Badly along too for his debut at Mondello, get to meet Cartman and ME!!!
Old 26 Jul 2002, 19:47 (Ref:343606)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Alien marshal will indeed be there - Badly is too young to go out on the banks so I don't think he'll be joining us
Old 30 Jul 2002, 15:51 (Ref:346433)   #11
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear you are losing such a prestige meeting this year, I hope it is back on for next year's centenary. Which weekend is it traditionally? If I am the right side the pond I will make an effort to join you.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 20:42 (Ref:350721)   #12
Shinners
Racer

Hi Bob, the only provisional date we have for the Park races - and I stress its only a provisional possibility is Aug 23/24 2003. Just keep an eye on the the marshals webiste [www.mrmci.com] for any details