Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3262693)   #1826
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A V8 would be nice... maybe the bold part was it would be a diesel V8?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3262694)   #1827
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
A V8 would be nice... maybe the bold part was it would be a diesel V8?
Damn, that would be a bit of a disappointment! He did say Gasoline though, so I still hold out hope :P.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3262695)   #1828
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well , I think he is wrong, just like he is wrong about Porsche winning Le Mans 15 times.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:24 (Ref:3262701)   #1829
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Well , I think he is wrong, just like he is wrong about Porsche winning Le Mans 15 times.
Yeah, I picked up on that too. I think you're right that the engine is most likely to be a turbocharged power plant. I am very suprised that no one outside Porsche has heard the engine yet, I was under the impression that Porsche's test track was very close to Weissach.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3262713)   #1830
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is. Right next to the offices. (you can see the office complex in one of the pictures of the Porsche LMP1).
Old 14 Jun 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3262714)   #1831
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Damn, that would be a bit of a disappointment! He did say Gasoline though, so I still hold out hope :P.
I thought it had long since been accepted that Audi will continue to run a diesel, while Porsche will use a petrol motor?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3262720)   #1832
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I thought it had long since been accepted that Audi will continue to run a diesel, while Porsche will use a petrol motor?
what has been accepted outside Porsche doesn't have to be true

Though I doubt it will be a diesel... it was more meant as I joke
Old 14 Jun 2013, 17:32 (Ref:3262730)   #1833
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
Durheimer made a weird commet about a month ago... http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/r8...ment-continues

Quote:
He suggested the Le Mans rule change was “forcing” Audi towards petrol-electric power, adding: “The new law regulates the amount of energy in a tank of fuel, which [would] eliminate the diesel advantage, turning the picture upside down.”
But that might have been just some politicking.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3262760)   #1834
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
4 cylinders not unheard of at all

Toyota's early C1s had 4 cylinder engines and quite a few C2s ran turbo 4s (Ford BDT, Zakspeed 4 - which I think was the one from the Probe mentioned elsewhere).
Didn't first Nissan and then Toyota dominate the last years if IMSA with 4 cyl turbos?

DK
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3262826)   #1835
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Didn't first Nissan and then Toyota dominate the last years if IMSA with 4 cyl turbos?

DK
Yes, and they were very small, very powerful and very fast.
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3262829)   #1836
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Was BMW's 4cyl F1 engine ever used in IMSA prototypes?
Old 14 Jun 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3262837)   #1837
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
BMW ran a GTP programme in 1986, using March chassis powered by a 2-litre turbo 4, which might have been derived from the F1 engine, but pulled the plug on the whole project after little more than a single season- IITC they used to catch fire quite a lot...

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-co...arch-gtp-2.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...W_GTP_side.jpg
Old 14 Jun 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3262850)   #1838
deggis
Veteran

Finland
In fact I already briefly googled, but only found the March 86G which used V8s and BMW V6T... didn't know it was actually called BMW GTP, so:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/5705.html

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...h-86G-BMW.aspx
Old 15 Jun 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3263058)   #1839
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If only it looked more like this...

Low-slung, sleek, wide, purposeful... unlike today's boxy, narrow-tracked, 4X4 ride-height eyesores they call LMP cars. Same goes for current F1 cars. Seems that the rule-makers are determined to make current racing cars look as ugly as possible.

Bring back the '90s when racing cars actually looked good!
Old 15 Jun 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3263063)   #1840
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeHRT View Post

Really... you're telling me these cars don't look good?

I say this, but I guess it is all up to personal taste, I suppose. I personally like the new LMP1 cars - but I seem to be one of the very, VERY few.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3263072)   #1841
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Hail the snake!
Old 15 Jun 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3263075)   #1842
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I say this, but I guess it is all up to personal taste, I suppose. I personally like the new LMP1 cars - but I seem to be one of the very, VERY few.
Well you're not alone
Even though I think the 90s really produced some stunners, I still don't think current cars are bad. Really liked last year's Toyota (not this year's one with huge headlamps) and the Peugeot 908
Old 15 Jun 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3263078)   #1843
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

No your not... I like them to
Old 15 Jun 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3263091)   #1844
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

SkaifeHRT's post was about how LMP and F1 cars have gotten uglier and you respond by posting 3 GT cars??

Anyway, it's been a couple days since the release of the Porsche P1 and I have to say it has already started to grow on me! I can't wait to hear it in action.
Old 15 Jun 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3263096)   #1845
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
SkaifeHRT's post was about how LMP and F1 cars have gotten uglier and you respond by posting 3 GT cars??

Anyway, it's been a couple days since the release of the Porsche P1 and I have to say it has already started to grow on me! I can't wait to hear it in action.
No, actually his exact words were...

Quote:
But that's beside the point. I'm curious about the Porsche P1 as well. Does anyone have any videos from the test? I know they are real cryptic about those things...
Old 16 Jun 2013, 02:24 (Ref:3263251)   #1846
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaifeHRT View Post
Low-slung, sleek, wide, purposeful... unlike today's boxy, narrow-tracked, 4X4 ride-height eyesores they call LMP cars. Same goes for current F1 cars. Seems that the rule-makers are determined to make current racing cars look as ugly as possible.
"Purposeful", a bit ironic to use in this context. The couple of beautiful GT1 class cars were only possible of the messy half-GT, half-prototype rules and all those road car Porsche design design are not purposeful on a racing prototype.

If you put that Porsche to a modern windtunnel, do you think it would still look like that? It's basically ancient in terms of aero.

The '98 Porsche is one of favourite cars too and I don't like the current BHFs and so on, but comparing it to a pure prototype is stupid. If you had compared any GrC car for example I would not have made this reply.

Quote:
As soon as someone builds a time machine, altough I'd suggest turning the time back to '80s right away.

Last edited by deggis; 16 Jun 2013 at 02:38.
Old 16 Jun 2013, 02:33 (Ref:3263255)   #1847
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 917 had what, four inches of ground clearance?
Old 17 Jun 2013, 07:54 (Ref:3263672)   #1848
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
SPORT-AUTO from 14.06.13 confirmed: Porsche LMP1 will use "Unusual" 4 cyl. Turbo-Engine for Le Mans 2014 (- Blueflame)

Last edited by Spyderman; 17 Jun 2013 at 08:01.
Old 17 Jun 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3263725)   #1849
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely that's going to sound incredibly dull?
Old 17 Jun 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3263728)   #1850
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gonna scream I reckon.