Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Jun 2005, 22:45 (Ref:1327808)   #1
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
SORN and V5

Any experts here on SORN?

I've got a car that's been off the road for many years. It was last used prior to 1998 so I've never declared it off the road as the legislation didn't exist at the time. It's registered in my name at my current address with an old-style V5 (the A4 sized one).

I read somewhere that the DVLA are phasing out the old-style V5 are re-issuing new documentation and that any old V5 will no longer be legal after July 05. Also after that date anything without either a valid tax disc or a SORN declaration will receive an automatic fine,

Will I just get a new-style V5C automatically? Do I now need to declare SORN? Will I get a fine? DVLA website isn't much help.

Actually now I think about it I don't yet have a new V5C for my other car, although that one is taxed.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1328053)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The new document should arrive for your current car when the tax needs renewing, if it doesn't turn up you need to send your old V5 to the DVLA and they'll send you a new one.

As for the car that's been off road you'll probably need to send its V5 to the DVLA and ask for a new one and tell them it's off road and has been for however long (point out it was before they brought out the SORN stuff). You should then get a SORN declaration for it for the coming year.

(That's all my best understanding of it - I'm not an expert on this by an stretch of the imagination)
Old 14 Jun 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1328091)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got a Dutton that's been off the road since before SORN came into existance. I aquired it two years ago. A few weeks ago I did a SORN declaration on the DVLA website ( http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/ ) and have recieved no fine. I also recieved a nice new V5C in the post shortly afterwards.

When SORN was first introduced I took the renewal form for my old Landy into the Post Office to declare SORN only to be told by the cashire that I had to show MOT and insurance- I don't think he could have misunderstood SORN any more if he tried!! A quick word with the manager had him put straight!
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1328257)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You need to write to the DVLA immediately to get a new V5C as the old V5's have been phased out and will no longer be valid after this month. If you haven't had a new V5C by now they have probably forgotten about your vehicle. Just tell them the details of your ownership and it should all be OK.
I have just bought an old Land Rover which had a V5 which was not even registered to the person I got it from (he hadn't bothered changing the ownership details), and has not been taxed since 1995. I am still awaiting the new V5C and will let you know if I have any problems.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1328273)   #5
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I read somewhere that the new V5Cs had been going out over the last 12 month when you re-taxed the vehicle. For my regular car than would have been Sept last year so a little surprised I haven't got it yet. That said at work we occationally have dealings with other government agencies and they are not known for their effeciency.

Think I'll send of the SORN declaration anyhow as I've got nothing to lose, and will be one less hassle if/when I ever get it back on the road.

BTW, am I the only one who misread the URL posted by Bluebottle as 'Evil Portal App' ?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1328288)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just spoken to the DVLA about this and I've been assured that the V5C will merely replace a V5 as far as the SORN standing is concerned. They're not interested in a SORN declaration for any car that's been off the road since before 1998.

So that's a small relief, seeing as they are now trying to charge admin fees every year you declare an unchanged SORN status, which is as stealthy a tax as I've ever seen.

Whether this procedure differs when a vehicle changes hands as in Bluebottle's case I'm not sure, but for Redshoes' MG and my Mercedes, it's "as you were" just with a new registration document.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1328703)   #7
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
any old V5 will no longer be legal after July 05.
I think that deadline has been extended, although I can't find it anywhere....
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1328722)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
New V5c rules here