Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Mar 2001, 00:47 (Ref:69538)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
After the South Aystralian government decided to end its association with the ALMS several proposals have emerged as to where the asia/pacific round will end up.

Fremantle in Perth have put a proposal in and it is also believed that Phillip Island has had talks to Don Panoz's people...the latest rumor is Sydney.
apparently the "NSW major events" corporation have 2 options they are pursueing . One at eastern Creek raceway and the other at the Homebush area (where the Olympics were held)
Homebush doesnt have any housing estates near by so this would be a viable option just whether the money can be raised for the project remains to be seen.

so with Adelaide pulling out of the deal it looks as if there are plenty of other options and that we still want the event to be held here in Oz.

but just where is anybody's guess
Old 9 Mar 2001, 10:51 (Ref:69588)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anywhere, I don't care just as long as we have at least one race!

Eastern Creek would be interesting actually. Not sure it would be the best, but would make for some good racing none the less.
Old 16 Mar 2001, 01:01 (Ref:71554)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I hope we still get a race as well.

It seems that Sandown in Melbourne has now put in a bid for the event..they actually held a round of the world sports car championship back in 84 or 85 and it was a complete shambles as the track fell apart during the weekend making it impossible for the cars to race on..but they have improved the complex alot since then and I think it would be a pretty good place to hold a sportscar event.
Old 16 Mar 2001, 06:23 (Ref:71596)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While they are having a race around Sandown, why don't they have a race at QR? I mean, there would have to be a slightly more interesting track somewhere between here, North America and Europe...

Also Sydney is supposed to be interested in a race around the Homebush Olympic site...hmmm..
Old 16 Mar 2001, 22:22 (Ref:71774)   #5
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't happen, but I reckon lakeside! (5 minutes from my house!)
Old 17 Mar 2001, 10:28 (Ref:71868)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yee haaaa....Lakeside was tops today. Great racing, great photography, great beer consumption to celebrate St Paddys day
Old 17 Mar 2001, 12:13 (Ref:71883)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Lakeside..I dont think so..saldy V8's have outgrown the track let alone sportscars...I carnt really see a sportscar flying around there,,If they do it would be something to behold
Old 26 Mar 2001, 11:48 (Ref:74536)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Current word on this is that the race is now scheduled for a week later than previously (ie December 9th now).

There are 7 (yes, seven) proposals at the moment, 2 each in QLD, NSW and VIC as well as the one from Perth.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 12:20 (Ref:74542)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm...V8's never outgrew Lakeside, the Konica round there last year was the best V8 race in recent memory. As far as sportscars go...being lapped before tailenders go over the start line for the first time will be fun
Old 27 Mar 2001, 21:38 (Ref:74830)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There are many good circuits in the asia / pacific area. I personally would like to see a race at bathurst and I cannot wait to see the race at Sepang.
Old 30 Mar 2001, 11:36 (Ref:75415)   #11
elephino
Veteran

Bathurst is a little narrow for modern sportscars in my opinion. But I wouldn't stop em racing there

The two Sydney options are Eastern Creek and a street race around the homebush olympic site. Not sure on the exact plans for the others.