Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2012, 14:01 (Ref:3166660)   #2826
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
I never liked Flying Lizard team (except the truly iconic livery), but it would be a huge shame seeing such another strong American sports car racing operation decline into near-irrelevance (AJR are sort of back, but where's PTG?). I hope FL aren't watered down completely by the time the 991 RSR is available to them.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3166678)   #2827
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I reckon their stepping to GTC for a year , before possibily something from Porsche factory in the near future .
Old 15 Nov 2012, 14:41 (Ref:3166681)   #2828
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
I never liked Flying Lizard team (except the truly iconic livery), but it would be a huge shame seeing such another strong American sports car racing operation decline into near-irrelevance (AJR are sort of back, but where's PTG?). I hope FL aren't watered down completely by the time the 991 RSR is available to them.

Just out of curiosity, what was it that made you dislike the team?
Old 15 Nov 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3166684)   #2829
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Several occasions (in recent years) of unsportsmanlike, vindictive driving, being a dick and being proud of it. One can often confuse FL's interviews about incidents with ones from NASCAR. Unlike many others I don't find that likeable. But I do respect FL for what they've achieved being essentially a Pro-Am team.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3166690)   #2830
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't you have to admit that there are several teams/drivers that behave in the way that you have described. I don't buy the old "rubbing is racing" crap but if you start to get punted by other cars you might on occasion loose your cool and behave a bit more defensively.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 15:28 (Ref:3166693)   #2831
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
http://radiolemans.0157.org/content/...mp1-return-who
Old 15 Nov 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3166701)   #2832
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kind of a shame that this has come when it seems that hope of them jumping up to P1 has faded away. Doesn't seem like they are up for it which is a real shame. I don't think it's the case now that they are sizing up teams to become 'works' in '14.

The Toyota programme hasn't had as much of an impact among rival manufacturers as I'd hoped.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3166721)   #2833
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Kind of a shame that this has come when it seems that hope of them jumping up to P1 has faded away. Doesn't seem like they are up for it which is a real shame. I don't think it's the case now that they are sizing up teams to become 'works' in '14.

The Toyota programme hasn't had as much of an impact among rival manufacturers as I'd hoped.

I was actually thinking that last night whilst listening to MWM... LMP 1: Audi, Toyota, Porsche in 2014, where are the rest? Honda, Nissan, etc ?
Old 15 Nov 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3166735)   #2834
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While I'd never want to criticise Nissan as they are spending money in sportscar racing, they seem to have zero interest in stepping up to P1.
Old 15 Nov 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3166758)   #2835
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Wouldn't you have to admit that there are several teams/drivers that behave in the way that you have described. I don't buy the old "rubbing is racing" crap but if you start to get punted by other cars you might on occasion loose your cool and behave a bit more defensively.
Questionable racing moves by drivers of other ALMS teams are not unheard of, but I'm yet to see anyone else deliberately cause a horrific accident putting many lives at risk to secure the race win (which wasn't even taken away much to the disgrace of IMSA), or deliberately crash into another car during the qualifying 'to communicate displeasure'. If a driver wasn't sacked immediately after doing and saying something like this, it looks to me like the policy of the team.
Old 16 Nov 2012, 16:02 (Ref:3167116)   #2836
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
Submitted by Cadpig on 14 Jun 21:37
Old 16 Nov 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3167126)   #2837
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
http://madfolchismad.wordpress.com/2...-honda-hybrid/

From the same guy who made the Nissan renders some weeks ago: http://madfolchismad.wordpress.com/2...9/nissan-lmp1/
Old 17 Nov 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3167459)   #2838
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
I was actually thinking that last night whilst listening to MWM... LMP 1: Audi, Toyota, Porsche in 2014, where are the rest? Honda, Nissan, etc ?
Its better that they all don't come at once, it delays the bust if you delay the boom. Audi, Toyota and Porsche all will take 3 cars to Le Mans, theres the top 9 cars, one more team would lock out the whole of the top 10. Who's going to pay a fortune to come 12th-15th in anything other than F1? Even F1 has lost manufacturers who were fed up of doing that. If it was Audi or Toyota coming 10th, or anyone else, they would soon pull out.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 12:33 (Ref:3167485)   #2839
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyd View Post
Its better that they all don't come at once, it delays the bust if you delay the boom. Audi, Toyota and Porsche all will take 3 cars to Le Mans, theres the top 9 cars, one more team would lock out the whole of the top 10. Who's going to pay a fortune to come 12th-15th in anything other than F1? Even F1 has lost manufacturers who were fed up of doing that. If it was Audi or Toyota coming 10th, or anyone else, they would soon pull out.
If you want more manufacturers, then they should cut their squad into two cars. Audi is obviously have 4 cars at their disposal when racing at Le Mans, so they should cut down into 2!
Old 17 Nov 2012, 12:56 (Ref:3167497)   #2840
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
And thats the very reason I say limit the entries to two cars .
Old 17 Nov 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3167504)   #2841
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Again people calling for two car teams before there is any kind of issue. I want to see the best cars and the best drivers, and having nine cars potentially able to win trumps having six. Try to get the privateers a bit more parity and you can add more to that number.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3167505)   #2842
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Again people calling for two car teams before there is any kind of issue. I want to see the best cars and the best drivers, and having nine cars potentially able to win trumps having six. Try to get the privateers a bit more parity and you can add more to that number.
And what was your view on Pescarolo's entry into this years LM with the ex-Aston chassis , before the race ?

Calling for 2 car teams before there is an issue you mean . Remember there are 4 class's now , not 2 .
Old 17 Nov 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3167510)   #2843
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
And what was your view on Pescarolo's entry into this years LM with the ex-Aston chassis , before the race ?

Calling for 2 car teams before there is an issue you mean . Remember there are 4 class's now , not 2 .
I don't really see the relevance of the question regarding Pescarolo? You mean it wasn't a worthy entry I assume. I said at the time and I stand by it that ahead of the race I'd rather see that car try and run than another identikit P2 Oreca-Nissan. I don't think anyone knew it was going to be as bad as it was.

I'm talking about the top drawer works P1s. Those are the cars that I really want to see. That said I love multi-class racing. Yes there are four classes thanks for the reminder - if you look at the entry list this year you can see that there were relatively few P1s. So why try and further limit that number?

In hindsight the 4 Audis vs 1 Toyota was overkill but not 3 vs 3 vs 3 which we assume we'll be treated to in '14. History is littered with examples of multi-car entries so I really don't see the issue. There is no concrete evidence of a fourth manufacturer willing to jump in so yes, why shoot yourself in the foot over an assumption?
Old 17 Nov 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3167536)   #2844
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't understand the problem with manufacturers bringing 3 or 4 cars to Le Mans. Audi did it last year, Peugeot did it a couple of times, and history shows that there have been many instances of manufacturers bringing more than 3 cars (Nissan 1998, Jaguar 1988 with 5 cars!, etc, etc). If a 4th manufacturer enters Le Mans, I would love to see 12 cars duel it out for the overall victory. And I know there are 4 classes at Le Mans, and 12 cars is not a lot for one class. In 2008, there were 22 LMP1s and there were 4 classes, so I don't see the problem.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 16:24 (Ref:3167550)   #2845
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
1971 8 Ferrari 512, 7 Porsche 917.
1988 11 Porsche 962

Sell the factory cars, I don't care how many you let run.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3167591)   #2846
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to clear up the point I was making, I don't have a problem with Audi, Porsche or whoever taking 6 cars if they want to, I just think they wouldn't be happy coming 10th or so for long.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 20:20 (Ref:3167600)   #2847
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just to clear up the point I was making, I don't have a problem with Audi, Porsche or whoever taking 6 cars if they want to, I just think they wouldn't be happy coming 10th or so for long.

Just to be clear, I do! I could care less how many Audi R18s (example) are on the grid, as long as there are only 2 true Werks R18s, or any other true Werks programs.

L.P.
Old 17 Nov 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3167616)   #2848
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I don't understand the problem with manufacturers bringing 3 or 4 cars to Le Mans. Audi did it last year, Peugeot did it a couple of times, and history shows that there have been many instances of manufacturers bringing more than 3 cars (Nissan 1998, Jaguar 1988 with 5 cars!, etc, etc). If a 4th manufacturer enters Le Mans, I would love to see 12 cars duel it out for the overall victory. And I know there are 4 classes at Le Mans, and 12 cars is not a lot for one class. In 2008, there were 22 LMP1s and there were 4 classes, so I don't see the problem.
There was only 2 class's then , big differance .
Old 17 Nov 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3167646)   #2849
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
There was only 2 class's then , big differance .
Why does the number of classes matter? Just because we have 4 classes currently, doesn't mean the grid sizes have to be split up evenly.

I would gladly trade in a few LMP2s and GTE-Ams if it meant more factory entries fighting for the overall victory.
Old 18 Nov 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3167750)   #2850
The Badger
Veteran

Well , that depends on who enters the championship , as they get first call on official invites .

I just think , to even out the chances for privateers podiums , 2 factory entries are enough .