Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Nov 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3163880)   #1
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A question for all those familiar with motorsport in NZ.

Hi all - I posted this in another thread, but as I haven't had much response, I thought I'd try a new thread for it. Apologies if it's not in the right place, feel free to move it as necessary if you're a mod.

OK, here goes:

I'm based in the UK, am involved in competing in classic/historic racing (driving a TR7 V8) and may well be coming down to NZ early next year. With the costs involved, it's likely to be a one-time only deal for us. Dates are not fixed as yet, and we can be flexible. We'll ultimately be staying in Levin with my partner's sister, and will be travelling down to Levin from Auckland airport.

The thing is, as I'm not likely to get the chance again, I'd like to take in some motorsport spectating whilst there, and see how you guys do it down there! The Denny Hulme festival mentioned in another thread is one that interests me, but I've also been looking at the BNT V8s racing at Taupo in March.

Both venues are easily accessible between Auckland and Levin, and we can arrange dates to suit. And although I do generally prefer historics to modern stuff, I am partial to a nice V8! Are the NZ V8s similar to the Aussie V8s? I've seen the Aussie ones on TV here in the UK, but not the NZ version.

So, what do you guys down there in NZ recommend? I'm a bit torn to be honest. Are there any other interesting events around January to March worth considering? Any suggestions that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 9 Nov 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3164405)   #2
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that you'll get far better value from the Hampton Downs Hulme Festival than NZV8s anywhere.

From a spectating perspective and overall 'atmosphere', Hampton Downs has it over Taupo in spades and the entry numbers at the Hulme will be way, way higher than Taupo.

Tier 1 (NZV8) meetings have been suffering of late with very poor fields. If you are a classic racer, it really is no contest I am afraid. The Hulme Festival is exactly that, a festival and you'll see a far greater number and variety of cars - and many will be V8s anyway. How could you not watch a full grid of F5000s?

Along with "The Spectator", come and say Hi.

There are meetings most weekends but the Hulme is a must.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3164496)   #3
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Socram - thanks for the info!

To be honest, the more I've thought about it, the more I've been edging towards exactly the same conclusion as yourself! Of course, you have the benefit of local knowledge, which is just the input I wanted!

So it looks like that's the way we're going to do it. Could I pick your brains a little more on the subject? We'll only be able to make one of the weekends, so I think I'm going to aim for the second weekend. Are both weekends fairly similar in terms of content? We could possibly do the first one instead, but surprisingly, even though there's only a week in it, the flights to come out a week earlier are quite a lot more expensive!

I'd love to come and say hello - always good to meet fellow like-minded enthusiasts. How would we find you?

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by Paul D; 9 Nov 2012 at 12:23. Reason: spelling muppetry!
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3164799)   #4
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The format for each weekend is similar, (two classes are different) but have a crack at the official website http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/ Send me a PM and I'll be in touch. I am not racing this time but well enough known locally for anyone to point you in the right direction if I am around!

The speCTator even found me easily enough in Monaco...

There will be 10 race classes each weekend consisting of:
Can-Am and 2.0 Litre Sports Racing cars, Formula 5000’s, Tasman Class, Formula Junior and Invited Cars, 'Group A and Historic Touring Cars', Historic Muscle Cars & Pre 1978 Saloons & GTs, Under 3000cc cars, Historic Formula Ford, Pre '78 & Invited Sports, Sports Racing & GT cars, Pre '85 & Invited Open Saloons & GTs (1st weekend only), Classic Trials (2nd weekend only).

Last edited by socram; 10 Nov 2012 at 01:52.