Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:18 (Ref:764355)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Park

Anyone know who runs the Phoenix Park races in Ireland? It'd be good to get over there sometime (and perhaps compete?).
Old 27 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:764364)   #2
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Motorsport Ireland are behind the Park events.
Alex Siclair I believe is the man to contact.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:34 (Ref:765478)   #3
Richard Young
Racer

Richard Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Park is run jointly by IMRC (Irish Motor Racing Club) and Leinster MC, but Motorsport Ireland oversee the whole operation. As James says, Alex Sinclair is the man in charge at Motorsport Ireland, and can tell you who to contact 'on the ground'. MSI are at 34 Dawson Street, Dublin 2 - 003531 6775628.
The Park is an uncompromising place, but a 'must do' in my book.....
Old 28 Oct 2003, 09:04 (Ref:765489)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Thanks all. "Uncompromising place, but a must do" - exactly why I want to do it! You get a bit bored of the likes of Silverstone National with their acres of tarmac runoff - the guy in front can go off and not even lose a place.

Don't suppose there's any sort of allcomers race where I could enter in my Graduate-spec Caterham; or else maybe I can convince the organisers to let me in with the local kitcars (Strykers?)
Old 28 Oct 2003, 15:34 (Ref:765821)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
Thanks all. "Uncompromising place, but a must do" - exactly why I want to do it! You get a bit bored of the likes of Silverstone National with their acres of tarmac runoff - the guy in front can go off and not even lose a place.

Don't suppose there's any sort of allcomers race where I could enter in my Graduate-spec Caterham; or else maybe I can convince the organisers to let me in with the local kitcars (Strykers?)
Why not first approach your fellow Graduates and convince them that a weekend in Ireland would be a good idea? You could then offer the organizers a race.I would not be able to resist coming over myself if there is someone to support!
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:32 (Ref:766616)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Its tough getting support for non-championship races, especially overseas. A bargain non-champ race at Spa pulls out 30-ish but we get 50 for a champ race at (the far less attractive) Croix en Terios. Ireland would be even worse as many racers are southern based. I'd love to take the championship to Mondello (great circuit and I've only done the club version) but I can't see that we'd get the support for it. I did try to gauge opinion for The Park last year (but not by name) and got two replies...
Old 29 Oct 2003, 08:41 (Ref:766623)   #7
Richard Young
Racer

Hmmmm.
Graeme, no point in inviting you all to Kirkistown then. A pity....
Re: The Park. Generally the organisers will do their best to fit you in somewhere, even if there's only one of you ! It's certainly worth asking ! This year I did the Formula Sheane race in an old FF2000 car, so there's always a chance.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:50 (Ref:766682)   #8
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
I'd love to do Kirkistown as well! Nearly made it this year with the proposed NI 2CV races but they never happened. It looks a good circuit - used to look forward to the (defunct) Tara TV coverage on satillite. Sounds hopefully for The Park - thanks!

Perhaps getting a little off-topic, anyone know if Jurby still active as a car race circuit? I tried some contacts on IoM last year and could only find bike races. (I'm after racing on every UK circuit - only Kirkistown and Jurby to go - Goodwood doesn't count...).
Old 29 Oct 2003, 10:51 (Ref:766741)   #9
Stinky
Rookie

Stinky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geaeme,

How are you, we havn't spoken in ages, I saw you in parc ferme at Thruxton, but you were busy talking to someone else so I didn't interrupt.

As you've mentioned 2CV races - Donington on the 9th Nov, we've only got 11 entries, any chance of you bringing you car along?

As for Jurby, BARC are involved somehow with Jurby, One of the BARC clerks (can't remeber which one, it wasn't Dale, maybe it was Ian???) was trying to organise a 2CV weekend festival at Jurby for next year, I don't know if it's come off or not, maybe not as I haven't heard anything about it for a while, perhaps I'll ask at Donington. They were talking about some enduro races on the race track and some hill climbs.

:-)

Christine
Old 29 Oct 2003, 16:29 (Ref:767095)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Hi Christine,

Donington would be great (Graduates haven't been there since '99...) but I'm at the Caterham Motorsport dinner dance the night before and my 2CV's still suffering after the 24 Hours. The engine(s) have never been up to much - we must be 10+ mph down on speed along the straights, so there doesn't seem much point to entering sprint races. But your posting has prompted me to start sorting the engine out (I'll get the new cam shaft whilst I'm at it), so maybe I'll be out a few more rounds next year.

I heard that the Three Hills Challenge wasn't happening for 2004; don't know if this affects other hillclimb events on the IoM. Enduro round Jurby could be good - its the usual challenge of getting drivers to go overseas/on a ferry - IIRC the IoM ferry is quite pricey.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:05 (Ref:767857)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hi graeme,

As Richard has quite rightly said, IMRC and Leinster run the Park.

The contact email for Leinster Motor Club is leinstermc@eircom.net and the contact email for IMRC is edfitzg@gofree.indigo.ie

Generally there are a couple of Formula Libre races at the Park so you should be able to slot in somewhere. Or as you said, maybe you could run with the Strykers. They're a friendly bunch so I doubt they'd have any objections. It's very rare that anyone runs a championship round in the Park. I'm not sure if the regs allow it, but only one way to find out!

You should go to Kirkistown though - now that's a circuit (hi Richard )

And Mondello.....! Doesn't have the speed of Kirkistown but is a real technical challenge to any driver.

I'm getting rather fond of Caterhams this season (from my UK visits) and I'd love to see them run at any of the above circuits! Although the idea of Caterhams at the Park is a vaguely worrying one! Still provided you remember that tree=bad thing, you'll probably be ok!

I was talking to a few of the Caterham drivers at the Legend festival in Anglesey and they all mentioned they'd like to race in Ireland so there might be more support than you think (unless they were just being polite to the scary Irish marshal! ). It's also worth talking directly to Mondello. They're very supportive of visiting classes and may be able to help out.

If you need any further info about contacts in Ireland, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 30 Oct 2003 at 09:08.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:29 (Ref:767881)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about Vee's?
Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:43 (Ref:767896)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
What about them? Ireland has a flourishing Vee class which races at Mondello, Kirkistown, the Park and a number of mainland UK circuits as well.

I don't know what the procedure is for visiting vee drivers, but I can put you in touch with the class co-ordinator, who is one of the nicest guys in Irish motorsport as it happens!

If you're talking an Irish round of UK Vees, he's still the best person to talk to. Let me know if you want contact details.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 30 Oct 2003 at 09:44.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 10:29 (Ref:767933)   #14
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graeme, don't worry about the trees too much, they put skips in front of them to protect them from errant cars, so the trees should be OK. But you do need to watch out for those street light bases, they don't like FV's.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 11:34 (Ref:767980)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just fancy taking my vee to the 'park to have a play
Old 30 Oct 2003, 17:52 (Ref:768307)   #16
Richard Young
Racer

Steve....Surely not. I thought the trees were there to protect the skips !
Seriously, the skips have gone - collected at last ! - and there are now several sections of Armco at critical places - and a nice new surface on two thirds of the lap.
Even the street light bases had been removed this year, although there are still things to hit if you're really determined.
Graeme, if you or any of your Caterham folk fancy a Kirkistown gallop, send me a PM and I'll get you all the relevant details.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 17:52 (Ref:768308)   #17
Richard Young
Racer

Steve....Surely not. I thought the trees were there to protect the skips !
Seriously, the skips have gone - collected at last ! - and there are now several sections of Armco at critical places - and a nice new surface on two thirds of the lap.
Even the street light bases had been removed this year, although there are still things to hit if you're really determined.
Graeme, if you or any of your Caterham folk fancy a Kirkistown gallop, send me a PM and I'll get you all the relevant details.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 20:54 (Ref:768468)   #18
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
I think BARC have pencilled Graduates in for a trip to Croix next year and two overseas championship rounds would be pushing it - but maybe 2005... Mondello would be the most attractive as a championship round I think - it is a top class facility and its quite well known with TOCA and stuff. I don't think Kirkistown would have quite the same draw (I reckon a lot of UK drivers haven't even heard of it) although I'd love to come across and race - might I fit into any of the local series? Or might there be hire-drivers availables? FVee? (Would save on the ferry fare as well). Will drop you an email Richard.

Last edited by graeme; 30 Oct 2003 at 21:03.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 08:44 (Ref:768878)   #19
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kirkistown last attracted a grid from the mainland for an F3 race in 1971.maybe due to the well known problems in N.Ireland?
I have been to Jurby IOM.Must be the worst circuit I have seen.Facilites consisted of an old bus as race control,a burger van & a portaloo. No spectator enclosures,but you can watch from the 'paddock'.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 09:34 (Ref:768926)   #20
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Richard, I've got the message that Phoenix is now in the 20th century. I'll see if I can make it myself sometime, if it doesn't clash .............
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:04 (Ref:769009)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Phoenix Park is actually now in the 21st century. And we've had armco for years. The bases of the lamps were always surrounded by tyres, but on the basis of incidents that have gone before, they were removed.

It's important to remember that the Park is a temporary circuit that gets set up for one weekend a year - and the race circuit is normally part of the main road network in Dublin. Weeks of voluntary work go into setting it up each year at a substantial cost to the organising clubs. A cost they can only recoup from sponsorship as the Phoenix Park races are free - no admission charges.

Every effort is made to make it as safe for racing as possible, and it is subject to stringent safety checks before a permit is issued. However, at the same time, it is a temporary circuit. If you're not prepared to take the risks associated with that, it's probably better not to do it.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 31 Oct 2003 at 11:06.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:21 (Ref:769029)   #22
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Any idea for what date The Park races will be in 2004? Even which month?
Old 31 Oct 2003, 11:53 (Ref:769058)   #23
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
Kirkistown last attracted a grid from the mainland for an F3 race in 1971.maybe due to the well known problems in N.Ireland?
Eckchewally.....in April we had BRDC Historic Formula Juniors........ http://www.althea.worldonline.co.uk/...stowm_2003.htm

and in May BRDC Historic Sports Cars. Twas reckoned that Mr Minshaw's Birdcage was probably worth as much as all of the grids that we usually get!
Old 31 Oct 2003, 12:50 (Ref:769114)   #24
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by graeme
Any idea for what date The Park races will be in 2004? Even which month?
It's usually August - occasionally July. The dates should be available fairly shortly.
Old 31 Oct 2003, 21:53 (Ref:769678)   #25
Richard Young
Racer

To follow on from Seamas, Kirkistown also had RAC FF1600 in the late eighties - twice as I recall - when people like Mr Sospiri, Dave Coyne et al were in action, not to mention a couple of Renault rounds (5 Turbo and F.R.) in, I think, 1990 or thereabouts.
And, as I'm sure Steve will agree, Classic FF1600 were there as well, not quite so long ago.......