Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Aug 2003, 14:53 (Ref:695693)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frank Gardner

Frank's had a heart by-pass and is described as "fit as a fiddle". Good news. Hard to believe he's 71 years old though.

(Posted this in the Historic Forum but you lot probably don't get down that far)
Old 22 Aug 2003, 20:23 (Ref:695994)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the surgeons have any problem removing Frank's hat?

Seriously - all the best Frank - could do with your dry wit around the tracks at present...
Old 23 Aug 2003, 00:34 (Ref:696124)   #3
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see Frank pulled through and is fine.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 01:47 (Ref:696143)   #4
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wonder if he will fit to fill in for TBA
Old 23 Aug 2003, 03:52 (Ref:696177)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's good news to hear Frank got through the operation fine.
Old 23 Aug 2003, 10:40 (Ref:696314)   #6
Sol
Racer

Sol should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Onya Frank. I've think I've still got 'Drive to Survive' and another his books still.

A real legend.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:36 (Ref:697066)   #7
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get well Frank

I am sure Gricey will be sending you a bowl of fruit
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:59 (Ref:697071)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as the bowl isnt made of glass
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Aug 2003, 06:02 (Ref:697072)   #9
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Frank has his golf umbrella there to spear Grice with again
Old 26 Aug 2003, 07:53 (Ref:699074)   #10
Burnt Valve
Rookie

Burnt Valve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how many people here know who Frnk Gardner is?????

Last edited by Burnt Valve; 26 Aug 2003 at 07:54.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:49 (Ref:699122)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Everyone who replied to the post I would have thought.

Frank Gardner was the guy who was brought in to replace F1 great Jim Clark in touring cars in Europe when Ford discovered that the press always talked about Jim Clark's victories, as opposed to the brand and model car Jim was running.

A living legend in his own right, Frank ran the Craven Mild, and later JPS, Diet Coke and Benson and Hedges racing teams for Holden, BMW and Ford from the 70's to the 90's.

Frank still keeps his eye in, being the medical car driver at the AGP and still at race meetings on occassion.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 08:55 (Ref:699127)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would've thought anyone with an interest in Australian motorsport would know who Frank Gardner is.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 09:03 (Ref:699132)   #13
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My everlasting memory of Frank Gardner is of Frank, Tony Longhurst and Tomas Mezera up on the podium at Bathurst in 1988. And the crowd all yelling at Frank to, "TAKE OFF YOUR HAT!!!"

I'd always known him as the BMW team manager and touring car driver, it was a while before I found out that he'd also run open-wheelers against one of my dad's mates in Europe in the 60's.

Nice to know old Frank's still going strong.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 09:58 (Ref:699161)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

In 1987, a fledgling team worked at the World Touring Car Race at Bathurst for Nissan. They decided they would do their own thing for the following weeks round at Calder, but Frank wanted us.

At Bathurst we used an airconditioned VIP suite, had everything we needed.

At Calder we worked out of a Tarago sitting on the roof dangling our legs through the sun roofs.

But - it was a fantastic weekend - Frank, being the boss of the BMW team with Longhurst and Jim Richards, was one character to work for - and my team and I loved every minute.

During those years warnings were always given at Sandown - certain teams, we were told, would not allow ANYONE to just walk into their pit garages - Frank Gardner, Peter Brock and Allan Moffat were the three prime ones.

That is - unless you knew Frank...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:33 (Ref:699189)   #15
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my memory serves me correctly Racetime, you and your blokes would have been pretty cold and wet on the day?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:41 (Ref:699268)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Worth remembering that Frank also was involved in the development work on the Porsche 917 Sportscar.

Last edited by racer69; 26 Aug 2003 at 11:43.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:56 (Ref:699287)   #17
RaceTime
Veteran

rdmdog - not really - we finished early as both cars failed to finish, but my recollection was that it was sunny (may have been cloudy) but can't recall gettting wet (not from rain anyway...)
Old 26 Aug 2003, 22:42 (Ref:700095)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Holden fans have a lot to thank Frank Gardner for. If he wasnt a stubborn stickler for rules, he and his JPSBMW team wouldnt have progressed the protests against the Eggenberger Sierras to the highest motorsport adjudication available and get them chucked... and Brocky wouldnt have #9....
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:23 (Ref:700123)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

GTR - there was a lot going onbehind the scenes that year. Unwittingly, one of the catclysts for Franks protest was Tony Warrener.

Because his team were able to gete such detailed drawings, specifications on the Mercedes that crashed (think it was on Thurs or Fri - the all female team), there was some other spec sheets retrieved that pointed to - lets call then 'inconsistencies'.

I understand that certain teams were given the chance to have things fixed and/or clarified before the race but 'personalties' being what they were at the time...well the rest is now history.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:42 (Ref:700135)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mercedes Stermitz made that little BMW a different shape to its original design thats for sure. But Mr Warrener's team managed to bring it back into shape so it looked better than half decent

Interesting that this was the source of some of the info about the Sierras. Most of the cars that were here at the time were Rouse kits of varying specifications, so an Eggenberger with the lot would not be on anyone's radar locally, other than they were different to the Johnson and Oxo Supercube cars and Moff's ANZ Rouse one.

A pity that the lessons of '87 didnt help '88 when Happy Tom protested every Ford not nailed down, well except Moff's now-Eggenberger ANZ cars
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:50 (Ref:700143)   #21
RaceTime
Veteran

Which is why I suspect the warnings started sounding - the specis/drawings Tony W obtained didn;t quite match Eggenberger's...
Old 27 Aug 2003, 00:03 (Ref:700156)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Was that from casual observation or a result of Tony W having watched them being scruitineered with Marcel Servais in tow??
Old 27 Aug 2003, 00:14 (Ref:700163)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

Not really sure - as I said, there was a lot going on behind the scenes - we were employed by Nissan/Fred Gibson that weekend but also working with other teams. So we got to hear bits and pieces thorughout the whole weekend.

Funnily enough I just found an old scrapbook with Mike Jacobsons Auto Action reports from those two weekends (plus the run down event at Calder that Larry Perkins and Bill 'I'll Do My One Lap' O'Brien won. Now those were the days of good race reporting - not like the **** dished up to us now...
Old 27 Aug 2003, 00:54 (Ref:700174)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I was looking in AA this morning for the preview of the Konica round at Mallala. I am still looking....

I wonder if they will even send a reporter to cover the event?

MN is a lot better in this regard, but because it is fortnightly, I guess in some cases they get the extra week to get their act together.
Old 27 Aug 2003, 01:10 (Ref:700180)   #25
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the Stermitz and other good looking woman ( i think her name was Mulvessin)I have the original M3 front guards & spoiler at home in the garage.

I was lucky to go to a driving skills day at Norwell on the Gold Coast...I learnt so much in one afternoon from Frank as well as reading his book.

I also enjoy watching him punt the medical car around Adelaide & Albert Park, he can still whip some of the fancier drivers of today